SAU Community

Performance Shops in Perth - a joke?

Sneeza

Hi Everyone

From reading the sticker headcount threads I have found out that there is a great import performance shop - Auto Works! But is it just me or is there a serious lack of shops like this one in Perth??

I was driving on Welshpool rd and noticed a shop called something like "High Performance" something or rather.... so I pulled in for a look-see. I was in for a rude shock! I had a quick look around and the guy came up to me and asked if I was looking for something for my boyfriend......??? No - "hi can I help you" - but a quick assumption that I wasn't there for myself!

Then I asked if he sold pillar gauges or BOVs. And he said something along the lines of " This is a high performance shop we only really sell stuff for V8's" I nearly choked with laughter :lol:

He did show me some books he pulled out of somewhere.... like the bin.... and offered to order pillar guages in for me. He had a few crappy BOV's in the corner of some cabinet as well. But I was really dissappointed that this shop and others like it - dis-count imports as high performance cars.

Hs anyone else has similar experiences? It's like Perth is Holden/Ford country :mad:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, there are plenty of high performance shops in perth, and most have nothing to do with V8's.

Works Auto is more an accesory shop, whereas Xspeed is there performance arm.

Other shops of note are:

C-red

Per4manz

Cypher Industries

Formaz

Xspeed

Auto Works

Speedworks

Please feel free to add to the list. I'm not making any public recommendations and people should just add other names, not comment on how good they are. If you want personal recommendations then PM people.

See'ya:burnout:

There's basically 2 shops in perth i'd trust my car with (when i'm not doing the work myself that is).... Speedworks (Ivan, AJ, Baz etc know a heck of alot about making Jap cars go fast, and have respect for the cars, which is very important) and C-Red (Roy and Jeff have a lot of Toyota experience, and Lumpy, Dally and Roy (again) have quite a bit of Nissan experience)....

One of the other shops on that list decided to remove the Redline oil in my gearbox and replace it with a dodgy Shell oil... apparently they're the people to see if you've got a mk3 supra in perth, but they don't know the one thing every mk3 owner knows.... Redline oil works wonders in the Mk3 gearbox....

FIL,

I won't disagree with you about the two shops you recommend, but lets avoid the bunfight we had with XRW about who not to trust. I have heard plenty of good things about both, but there are many other good shops in Perth, do not discount them.

Originally posted by Sneeza

I was driving on Welshpool rd and noticed a shop called something like "High Performance" something or rather.... so I pulled in for a look-see. I was in for a rude shock! I had a quick look around and the guy came up to me and asked if I was looking for something for my boyfriend......??? No - "hi can I help you" - but a quick assumption that I wasn't there for myself!

Then I asked if he sold pillar gauges or BOVs. And he said something along the lines of " This is a high performance shop we only really sell stuff for V8's" I nearly choked with laughter :lol:

The place is called Performance Unlimited, and yes they tailor v8's and pretty much v8's only

The thing I can't understand is why do you find this really funny?? Just because they don't have any japanese parts, it doesn't mean it isn't a performance shop. I'd say the same would go for if a v8 rolls into a jap performance centre, asks for webers, and be told that they don't stock them

I'd say he thought you were buying something for your boyfriend because he saw you rock up (at a v8 shop) in an import car...

I actually took my car to Performance Unlimited, in order to get a Redline Service (engine/diff/gearbox). They ended up being $200 less than what Cypher quoted me! I even had a 'HSV - I just beat one' sticker on the back, yet they found it entirely funny as the ford v8's were laughing and showing the hsv boys, yet they laughed too. I doubt I'd receive the same hospitality (esp after the sticker) and discount as I did there, if I were a v8 doing the opposite.

I'm not having a go, but I wish ppl would leave v8's alone; it's like as if ppl think it's really great to degrade them ... and if everyone does then I find it tragic ... and immature :)

esp that shop, as I found their overall work A1.

Adrians Import World

thats a good shop

he has a 10,000 horsepower Gts-t it's a beast

nah nah in all seriousness

Evo-R, Works Auto i believe are very good

and i want to go down to SST have some dyno runs

probably when i get some aftetmarket management and my EBC

i have this funny feeling that we are missing a well known shop out? but i can't think of it at the moment

adrian

Originally posted by Sneeza

Thanks GTS-t! Is that per4manz shop in cannington?  

I live SOR and I don't see many shops around for imports.... I'm prolly not looking hard enough :D  

I just thought I would mention my funny exeprience at this shop....

Hey sneeza alot of us here by word of mouth and contacts get our parts from lots of sources and speaking from myself never buy from perth........

If you go into a shop and ask if they sell Bovs or Pillars/gauges they know straight away u dont have much idea about parts or where to get them..

Ask any of us here if you need something im sure most of us can help Bar a few :) and maybe save u some money as well..

That sucks about the "are u here for your boyfriend thing" hehe funny tho i but u girls get it all the time

cheers

mac

Macka - You say that I don't know much about parts etc - yes that may be true..... why do you think I put this post on here? I want to know where to get stuff for my car...and I know what stuff I want. I am new to the import industry... I imported my own car and learnt the hard way for everything to do with imports. I have sworn I will never import again. You make it sound bad cause I asked about pillar gauges ad BOV's.... but I was geniunley interested in these things! I was just trying to find out some places to go...that's all - places that cater for imports.

As for the other thread about bagging or laughing at V8's - I respect a hotted up ford or commo - its good to see people taking interest in their cars. My comment on v8's was more to say - that "some" people think V8's are the ONLY high performance cars. I too have been humbled by a HSV :-(

There are plenty of cheap parts in Perth, but not from most of the retail shops. There are also alot of second-hand parts for sale, so if you want something then it's worth advertising on the forum.

Also there are many things that you can do to the car yourself, with a bit of help, like installing boost gauges, electronics etc. Better than paying someone $80/per hour to do it for you.

Paul I am chilled so shut the *%$! #%$£# £$%!*& #$! :bahaha:

but seriously, they don't think that. When I went to collect my car the guy there said he had to take it for a drive to run the oils in, and that the car would take a gen3 easily (ask jimi to verify that quote)

he respects imports, otherwise he wouldn't have done my car, so I'd say what he was meaning was that he saw you pull up in your 180sx and assumed that, since you were pulling into a V8 shop, you were looking for V8 bits (which may be for your boyfriend) since they don't cater for imports

PSIKO,

We respect your opinion and do not doubt that they are good guys to go and see for and oil change or V8 perfomance parts, the fact that they don't specialize in Imports is fine. Glad you were happy with there service, and I'm sure that Sneeza did not intend to bag the store.