SAU Community

Rb26 Rev Limit

OBES

Guys,

Used the search function, but could only find info on RB25.

I've just installed a set of Apexi RX6B turbos (come onto boost at 5800) onto my gtr and need to know what the safe limit of a standard RB26 is?? I used to run a Tomei chipped computer and the limiter was set at 8426, but have now just swapped over to Autronic and need to know how high i can set the limiter, without hurting the engine. The motor was rebuilt to standard spec's about 15000k's ago.

Thanks for the help..

agreed, and it's not really worth it. when i'm racing the GTR i actually knock the limit down to about 7600 or 7800 as the limiter can be a little lazy, and i'm mostly shifting up before then anyway, no need to ring it's neck all the time.

The top end will take the high rpm all day.

But the bottom end is still standard production motor quality and piston speed should be kept under 4000ft/min.

Unless you have a fully balanced and light weight bottom end components don't rev it above standard rev limiter.

Standard cams won't make power up at those levels anyway typically, so why rev it.

as said, if the motor has been recently rebuilt, a good way to kill it quickly would be to repeatedly take it over 8grand!

besides, i think 9000rpm is about the limit of a synchro box anyway. Basically your turbos are way too big for a standard motor.

Dont get me wrong, i dont want to ring its neck all the time, just looking for a safe limit so that i dont hurt the engine. Will be looking at getting bottom end rebuilt in the not to distant future so it can take a few more rev's...

Thanks for the help guys.

Turbos were bought 2nd hand off these forums, unsure which version they are. 1.1 - 1.3 bar at approx 6500/6600rpm Yes, i do now realise that these turbo's are mismatched to a standard motor, but i guess thats all part of the learning process hey...Although im no mechanic, when i bought the turbo's i though that they would have come on earlier due to only having smallish exhaust housings.

8200 max

they can spin harder but the rev limiter will bust the oil pump.

i mist a gear in my 170000km 32gtr with a blitz access ecu it hit 8878 on the multi checker!!!!! it has hapend 3 times now :)

i put it to the fact that the revlimit doest bounce the crank back and forth

on my other motor

(revalant mods to this topic,n1 oil pump 33 engine)

it saw 8200 regulary whist wheelspinning :lol:

it cut a long story short i rebuilt it after a turbo falure and the pump had copped a pounding!!, quite alot of ware around the pump drive surface

virtually all rx6 twin kits for a gtr would be classified as a drag spec turbo...

unless you feel the urge to spend up huge amounts of dollars engineering the car around the turbos i would say it would be best to bite the bullet and start over again

even on only 1.1 to 1.3 bar i dont like the chances of ur engine lasting very long no matter what you rev it 2

• 2 weeks later...

i was talking to a guy that had done all his internals and stuff, he didnt see boost til 6000rpm through to 9000rpm which is where his rev limiter was, but that was rebuilt. if ya wanna increase the rev limiter u should/need to upgrade the fuel system, oil and water pumps and yeah stronger inturnals

Man i'm soft....

Engine tuned for 1.4bar and I run it at 1bar (until I get used to the power).

Rev Limit was 8200rpm and I set it to 7600rpm

:P