SAU Community

Vq25Det Engine Oil Type To Use?

samuri

^^ ok let me rephrase it is definately darker just not sludgy like some lower line oils come out.. Full synth oils definately come out cleaner after 5000kms then a semi/ mineral base since there meant for longer use.

U can't argue that. I'm not saying it makes an oil better or worse it's just a fact.

sorry mate that wasnt an attack on you. it was to people who have no idea what colour it should be.

Ok, here is one to put to the crowd while on the topic of oils:

Who uses those "engine oil flush" products?

By that I mean a hydrocarbon product that is meant to clean your engine up at oil change time. You put them in and idle for 10-15mins, then drop oil and change filter, refill.

Pros and Cons?

One point I have heard is that if you have a heavily fouled/carbon deposited engine you don't want those deposits loosening and floating round the engine. What happens if you have a clean engine?

Anyone have experiences, good or bad?

i do, on every car. never had a problem with them. just make sure you draing ALL the oil out of the engine. i let it drain out for hours while i do other things.

they are supposed to remove varnishing etc from the engine

some people say they move crap around the engine etc and they get clogged up. but i rekon they get clogged in the filter, where its supposed to

if people are that worried about the flush. buy some crap cheap oil and run that through the engine for 500km after the flush, then remove that and put your good oil in.

i used to but i just use sougi now :)

+1

Just use a high quality (Group V) oil, it should have enough detergents on it so you shouldn't need an engine flush.

Having said that, I used the Motul engine flush after I dropped the Motul Excess (I think that is what it was called) 3 years ago.

No ill effects, just make sure you drain the hell out of it before putting in the new oil.

Haven't used an engine flush since though