SAU Community

Just Had My R33 Tuned,but Now Its Misfiring Quite Bad ( Yellow Jacket Coil Packs)

hey,

so just had my r33 gts-t tuned for the first time.

these are the mods:

3inch custom turbo back exhaust

HKS GT-RS turbo

Nismo 550cc injectors

yellow jacket coil packs

ngk Bcpr7ES 0.9mm spark

z32 AFM

Nismo fuel pump

Blitz return flow intercooler

Apexi power fc

Apexi pod filter

Drift catch can

Greddy sm integrate gauges (boost, oil temp, oil pressure, water temp, fuel pressure)

Greddy EBC

Car made 237kw at the wheels on 18 psi and just under 200 kw on low boost setting (12 psi)

it was all good on the dyno but on the road using high boost it was misfiring horribly when booting it.

Trent,who tuned the car mentioned that when he took it for a drive that it did misfire but then it went away and wasn't doing it.

maybe its my driving but it was horrible when i took it for a spin.

He said it might need better gapped spark plugs to help the coil packs and mentioned that yellow jackets are known for misfiring, which upsets me since i bought them less then months ago. Car drives great on low boost atleast but thats no fun at all lol

Anyone else have similar experiences with yellow jackets ? could 0.8mm gapped spark plugs make it any better or is it worth begging for a refund for the yellow jackets and going splitfires ?

Does 237kw seem a bit low for 18psi ? what could be causing it to be a bit down on power ? was expecting over 250kws to be honest from what i had seen on the forums

:(

i'll see if my scanner works and post up dyno sheets

I cooked 2 out of the 6 Yellow Jackets I got, replaced them.. then kept misfiring, even with plugs gapped at 0.5mm... so I took them out in lieu of brand new Splitfires.. I now run upwards of 23 psi no misfire :)

Buy either OEM or Splitfire or convert to LS coils or similar.. those colourful coilpacks are all junk (trying to avoid naming names)

Also your lower power reading could be from your poor spark performance

• Like 1

Ask for a refund and move onto standard or splits. standards are only $50 more than the splits from kuosmotorsport.

OR

What plugs are you currently using? Did you change them when you changed the coilpacks?

thanks for the quick replies :D

plugs that are in now are ngk Bcpr7ES 0.9mm i didnt regap them as i never done it before and it didnt want to stuff it up lol.

They were changed same time as coil packs.

i've emailed the place i bought the coilpacks from and asked for a refund so ill see what happens. ill be pissed if they dont refund me :(

will i need a touch up tune when if i change coilpacks ?

i'll have someone do the sparkies for me since im retarded at doing little things like that. and if that doesnt work i guess i know its 100% the coilpacks.

so you guys recon i could gain a bit more power with splitfires if that might of been the limiting factor. apart from the misfiring the car drives fantastic now after the tune and cold star issues have gone and gained a decent amount of power on the dyno.

can someone tell me why it wouldnt be misfiring while on dyno but misfiring while driven on the road ? first time i had any car tuned so new to all of this :)

I think you are aware of the problem (being the coils) and band aiding it by gapping the plugs down isn't really going to be a long term solution.

Our setups are quite similar. Same turbo, computer, AFM, injectors. Though my car makes around 40 rwkw more at the same boost.

I run Splitfires and only had an occasional misfire when using BCPR6ES plugs, but since changing to one heat range colder (the same as you are running) I've had no misfire issues.

Edited by Ryno

whoa 40kws more then me, now i'm even more devastated :( lol would the difference in power be due to the bad coils/plugs? big difference !! i was expecting closer to 260 and was pretty disappointed with what i got.

trent recommended NGK bcpr7eix gapped down to 0.55mm so ill give those a go and see if it improves. i wont bother getting a touch up tune till i can get splitfires put in.

Really hope i can get closer to 260rwkws!

Edited by deprived777

Yeah you should make 260... I've got a trick exhaust manifold and run an external waste gate, which gives me an extra 20 kW or so and about 500 rpm better response.

Too many people care about numbers, just get rid of the shit Coilpacks, buy OEM or Splitfires as mentioned by everyone and enjoy the car.

Get someone to gap your plugs down or do it yourself. You can buy a tool from super cheap auto.

If there was no evident misfire issue on the dyno while Trent was tuning, then there will hardly be any power difference after the touch up. There are hundreds of other reasons why it could be down on power but not up for discussion now.

yeah i'll get them regapped and go from there. but if i can be making more power then why not chase it.unless its going to cost a fortune then i'll leave it as it is.:)

may be a number but in my mind 260 and over would make me happy lol

i'll take out the plugs tomorrow and get someone to gap them for me.

If you can remove the coils and take out the plugs you can gap them. Just get some feeler gauges and there is probably a how to on the web if you can figure it out yourself. In fact just tap the plugs gently on a vise or something and keep measuring the gap.

Sounds like you need new coils though.

I did attempt to gap an old spark plug using one of those Rosen medallion type gap tools but it juat wasn't going right for me lol I'll look for a feeler gauge but probably be easier for me to get someone else to do it haha. Yeah I'm thinking coils too from the bad things I'm hearing about them. They sounded promising at the time and I was reading mostly good things but I guess I must of just been looking for the good things being said :/ wish I waited and bought splitfire. I don't know of they'll refund me of not. Fingers crossed!

They're good as paper weights.

I only bought replacement ones because the car already came with them, after replacing 2x coils and still having misfires I just bit the bullet and bought Splitfire coils and haven't looked back.

However if I could have a stab at it again, I would just convert straight to LS coils.

works out about the same, a little more dicking about.. but you'll have spark for days and easily run 0.8mm gap without any misfire at like 20+ psi.

I got a mate who runs them on his SR20 and putting 25psi through the motor and he runs his gap at 0.8mm errday :)

With Splitfires they tend to break down if you run 0.8mm at 20+ psi and with more dwell in them they will run ok till they overheat and start misfiring a little time later.