SAU Community

Just Had My R33 Tuned,but Now Its Misfiring Quite Bad ( Yellow Jacket Coil Packs)

The yellow jackets (or even just one of them in your set of 6) are not necessarily "faulty". They're just not necessarily good enough for the duty they're being asked to work in. As replacements for stock coils which have died, on stock engines, most people would not have much cause to question their quality. As replacements (or "upgrades"!) in engines being pushed a lot harder, you will get some people like Ravi who report no problems, some people who report that they just break down and won't make power, and others who report that they they just die. I interpret this to mean that they are not powerful enough in general, and the quality is variable. Seems enough of a reason to pick something else if given the choice.

• Like 1

^ Well said. Standard engine, standard turbos, standard manifold pressure (12psi max), in my experience they work fine. Once you start leaning on them, I don't think any China coils will handle it.

Works fine for what it costs as a standard replacement. Don't know why people who want to push 20+psi and want to make 300rwkW think $300 coils will be as good as $700+ ones.

Sort of like asking standard turbos to push 15+ psi.

update on the ebay dude:If it is a faulty coil then it would only be 1. It wouldn't be all 6 at the same time.

This alone is an extremely rare occurrence as a lot of care goes into these coils during the manufacturing process.

We will need isolate the single faulty coil though so it can be replaced under warranty.

Thanks.

whats my reply going to be ? should i go for replacements or keep insisting on a refund. to me replacing them is more hassle and seems a waste of time if they're going to keep failing

If it were me, I'd isolate the faulty coil and try to sort out a warranty claim. At least you will get something for free. In the meantime I would plan to get some splitfire coilpacks. Drive it around normally on the yellowjackets, put the splitfires in then get it tuned. I can't remember if it was a daily driver, but mine is so I would do that to keep it mobile so I can at least get places

Sometimes you can test the coils by unplugging them one at a time with the car idling, listen for a noticable change in the engine note/revs, that generally means you've unplugged a good coil (as removing it from the system has made the performance worse)

However, if it only plays up under higher loads then this probably wont work. I did this test with mine and noticed change in engine note on 2 cylinders from memory, but mine played up at idle. Because I was never going to get warranty, and didn't want to risk more failing, I just replaced them all with new splitfires

Buying new coils then having some sitting there doing nothing while also possibly paying for a new tune as it was not the tuners fault. It's all adding up.

I'd be pushing for a refund and explaining the position they have put you in. Might be worth while getting in contact with a fair trade ombudsman.

Also if you paid via paypal contact them with your predicament.

It was paid using PayPal so that sounds promising. I responded to the guy saying u would prefer a, refund and he just replied I can replace the faulty coils. Cheeky prick lol.

I gapped the plugs down to 0.6mm and the misfire improved alot. But it feels like it's lacking a bit down low now. Car only was misfiring under heavy load on 18psi otherwise it was fine. So not sure how I would test the coils. What a pain. I'll have to keep insisting

It was paid using PayPal so that sounds promising. I responded to the guy saying u would prefer a, refund and he just replied I can replace the faulty coils. Cheeky prick lol.

I gapped the plugs down to 0.6mm and the misfire improved alot. But it feels like it's lacking a bit down low now. Car only was misfiring under heavy load on 18psi otherwise it was fine. So not sure how I would test the coils. What a pain. I'll have to keep insisting

do a paypal dispute.

Takes way too long figuring out what coil is bad.

I responded again saying I much rather a refund and explained the reasons why and that I had spent alot getting it tuned and will have to again etc.see what he says this time. If he doesn't agree I'll look into the PayPal dispute thinh

While not defending yellowjackets (I run splitfires).

What does the product claim to do? I just did a quick google and found this description from a dealer

Increase in torque.
- No spark blowout at higher boost.
- Improved throttle response and smoothness.
- Increased Ignition Performance.
- Improved Combustion.
- Direct Fit.
- 2 Year Warranty.
- Solid Construction.
- Cost effective.

Unsure if you have a basis for a refund, unless of course you could do a back to back with another brand, but even then, claims such as "no spark blow out at higher boost" leaves it wide open, what is high boost? 12psi? or 24psi?

Anyways, you could persist, or just realise they are known (by doing an hour research) to not work that well, and move on.

Don't forget you have a limited window to initiate a Papal dispute, like 45 days after purchase or something??

As CEF33Y pointed out it's so vague, do these things even have a spec sheet? do Splitfires? Interesting to see if there's a design difference or if it's just quality variability.

I'll take it for a drive soon. But as far I know it's above 14k all the time according to the power fc Hand controller. I bought the coil packs November 6th. So that 45 days with PayPal is out the window I guess. Got another reply and he said he will only replace the faulty coils

Edited by deprived777

in regards to repair replace or refund legalities.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/repair-replace-refund

you have a major problem and are entitled to a refund. the refund must come from the retailer who sold you the defective product. and if he gets snarky, you can take them to small claims court for damages and loss, so you can get your money back for the tune.

had a quick read through that.and to me it would fall under a major problem so i think i should be able to get a refund.

he just replied again and said he wont refund them and i mentioned that in his ad they mention no spark blow out at high boost and satisfaction garunteed and throttle response ( which has gone down now after gapping plugs lower)

I told him about accc and strongly insisted on a refund and all he replied was, I can only offer an exchange under warranty. This complied with consumer law in Australia.

So I guess I'm stuck. Maybe I'll just get a new set of 6 and try sell them and buy splitfires. Such a stuff around. Guys a jerk