SAU Community

Consult Lcd Display

Economy? is this equivalent to injector_duty_cycle / speed?

because you could express in litres / kM (instantaneous)...

looks cool, by the way.

eco = speed * 10 / duty cycle (is what im using)

you could do L/100KM, but you'd have to know the injector size, number of cylinders and distance travelled per interval. for the reason stated before about why 0-400M times arent too easy to do, this wouldnt be either

car dash computer (ie cars that have their own L/100KM readout or whatever) have the advantage of being able to read the odometer - and hence can get accurate distance measures, whereas i cant

Edited by NewKleer

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

stock ecu, can be remapped so long as consult code isnt messed up (not sure if thats in the eeprom or elsewhere in ecu, so not sure if its possible to mess consult code up or not).

piggybacks are fine (like safc) but display will only read what ecu see's obviously, not actual (before piggyback) voltage/value

You can put me down for 1 too :P

edit: just realised that you are making the peakhold features...so nevermind what i wrote below...

Is it possble for you to make a peak hold feature that remembes the highest values reached? This is what i find is the most useful after a thrash - cos you can check the eg: water temps reached afterwards as not much time to look during driving :O

Currently i have one of impakt's consult lcd display's which has the peak hold features - but it's a bit too bulky to permanty mount somewhere properly...

u plug the serial plug from the display straight into the serial port on ur laptop (assuming u have a serial port)

and yes, aiming to have the peak values function

if you're talking about the piggyback e-manage, then yes, since it still uses the stock ecu. like other piggybacks, youll only be able to read out what the ecu "sees"

the enclosures are in the mail, should be here hopefully by next weekend. waiting for one lot of parts also, they should also be here by next weekend. already received the pcb's and other parts, ive built a board and all is good, so on the hardware side of things its 95% done. just need to try and find a good way to keep the heat down in the box.

ive written up a bit about the interface and what i want to get done for the final release. note that currently i havent written anything except the display code, so im not sure how long it will take to get done, but i think most of it would definitely be worthwhile to get in

let me know what u think of it, and if it seems straight forward etc. at this stage im hoping i can code it so that to switch to consult interface all u do is switch the top switch (hences theres no entry for it since u use the physical switch)

buttons/switch:

there are 3 buttons. one on the left, then two close to each other

the left most is the "menu/action/enter" button

the next two are the left/right, or minus/plus, down/up or whatever

the switch switches between lcd display (left) and serial consult interface (right)

main menu:

[X]Display [ ]Error Codes [ ]Time Trials

[ ]Options [ ]Peak Values [ ]Device Info

by default, device will start in display mode (ie, showing sensors).

pressing the select/enter button (the left most) will show this menu.

then u press left/right to choose which items to go into

display:

000kph 0000rpm 00.0v EC:xxx INJ:00% 00oB

AAC:00 O2:.00v 000oC AFM:0.00V TPS:0.00V

the TPS, temp, and speed may be configurable in options

error codes:

display up to 3 error codes, option to clear them (shown below just example). xx is actual error code, (13 TempSens), "x times" is how many times car started since error showed up)

[X]Exit [ ]Clear xx CAS (x times)

xx AFM (x times) xx TempSens(x times)

time trials:

starts when u go above 0

[X]Exit [ ]0-60 [ ]0-100 [ ]0-160 [ ]400

Current Time: 00.00s Best Time: 00.00s

options:

configure TPS v/%, KPH->MPH, oC/oF

[x]Exit [ ]Speed: KPH->MPH

[ ]Temp: oC -> oF [ ]TPS: 0.00v-> 000%

peak values:

batt voltage, AAC, O2 arent important peak values, but rest are shown

[x]Exit [ ]Reset 000kph 0000rpm EC:xxx

INJ:00% 00oB 000oC AFM:0.00V TPS:0.00V

device info:

ECUTalk LCD Display Version 1.0 xx/xx/06

Copyright Peter Collins, www.ecutalk.com

I know it is a little late but is it possible to intergrate Oil pressure and oil temp readings into this as it would then negate the need for any other gauges except for Boost.

Oil temp would obviously require seperately wiring in a thermocoupling/probe (2 wires) but would the Oil pressure and possibly even boost be interpreted if spliced into the instrument cluster signals?

I was going to make up a jaycar kit thermocoupling kit and have it switch between two sensors for coolant temp and oil temp. I can appreciate as a mechanic how good this tool would be for diagnosis but I yern for oil temp to be included for active monitoring during driving!

Reason being I would rather spend the money on an all in one module rather than a dash full of gauges as I try to modify my car to look as clean/stock as possible but with all the gear!

To summise, any chance of oil temp input facility?

Then all one would have to do is wire up an oil temp sensor from there sandwich plate!

very interest and relevant ideas.

it would be possible to put a thermocouple converter IC on the board to read a k-type thermocouple. (MAX6675). perhaps u want to find out what available oil temp sensors there are, and if any are k-type thermocouples (or find out if any are a given "standard", be it a thermocouple, or if it has a varying resistance or some known way to determine temperature)

as for boost reading, it would probably be possible to get something to read boost, but it would have to use an external sensor that returns a digital signal or analog voltage (0-5v), or like the temp, uses a known sensor format that can be interfaced with (i wouldnt be handling reading boost directly from the device itself, but would require an external sensor of some kind)

however - either would cost at least $20-40 extra, would take a considerable amount of time to implement, and thus wont be considered for "release 1.0" (which is purely a "plug and play" release). all boards made will have the same capabilities to be upgraded to later (both ideas are "possible" on current hardware setup so no problem there).

i want to make sure i get it doing what it does right, rather than trying to get too much functionality jammed in to begin with and potentially messing things up

Edited by NewKleer

The jaycar kit uses the K-type sensors and suggests the use of the devise for exhaust temps (more vital than people think) up to 1200D/C or coolant/oil temp etc. but it has to be tuned once made! Which looks fairly simple though.

I suspect the run of the mill sensors would be a varying resistance type.

Just thought I'd give you some food for thought for future endevours.

If it all works as you say, it looks like a phenominal product. Any idea on pricing yet?

most likely $200 + post

just received the enclosure today - looks good. ive got all parts now, so just need to finish the firmware/software that runs it, and i can start making them. im hoping within 2 weeks ill have some available, but who knows

Are you planning on making these in the Blue 4x20 display?

Was sceptical of these at first because i have the impakt one.... but congrats man, these now look far superiour.

If your making them in the 4x20 box... (smaller i hope)

Then count me in.