SAU Community

First Time Trackday

Konrad

Hi all,

Getting on the track for the first time next month, got a couple of questions

What sort of helmet is best?? I would think open faced, and they need to be ADR approved right? and motorbike style helmets, just they'res some nice open surfing helmets etc.. on ebay. Where do you buy them from?? any other places than motobike shops (who charge an arm and a leg).

was thinking something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Excellent-Black-ARA...1QQcmdZViewItem

Searched for tyre pressure and could only find one post where they said 40psi is best - i have hankook k104 235/45/18s on the front and falken ziex (yes crap i know) 265/35/18s on the back.

Any other advice for a track noob??

Cheers :D

Hi all,

Getting on the track for the first time next month, got a couple of questions

What sort of helmet is best?? I would think open faced, and they need to be ADR approved right? and motorbike style helmets, just they'res some nice open surfing helmets etc.. on ebay. Where do you buy them from?? any other places than motobike shops (who charge an arm and a leg).

was thinking something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Excellent-Black-ARA...1QQcmdZViewItem

Searched for tyre pressure and could only find one post where they said 40psi is best - i have hankook k104 235/45/18s on the front and falken ziex (yes crap i know) 265/35/18s on the back.

Any other advice for a track noob??

Cheers :)

An open face helmet will be fine if that is what you want. I use an open face Arai because I get claustrophobic in a full face helmet. It should be to the relevant Australian Standard (or an FIA standard such as SA2000 or just recently SA2005). See schedule D of the CAMS manual for a full listing. They don't have to be very expensive, but remember cheaper usually means heavier & in an accident heavier means more damage to your head. Depending on how serious the event is you may need such things as a level 2S CAMS license. No big drama.

Most important thing to remember is - HAVE FUN. Most people suck really badly when they first start - it is only by practising that you get better. Look after your car - particularly your brakes & if others are coming to overtake you stick to you line & allow them to go around. It works much better that way. So enjoy yourself, talk to your fellow competitors & if possible follow someone around the track who has been there before and knows which lines to take through the corners.

Edited by djr81

• 1 month later...

You think you may know the lines, but you wont. Follow someone else who is doing well and over taking everyone and just try and stick to their line. If you can mimick them it will give you a starting point on the what line to take. I found that the best way to get a descent start on my first race meet. Last race of the night i ended up coming 5th outta the 20 odd cars. Thought that was pretty good for my first time racing. First two race were shit house though, came like 14th and like 11th. So dont expect too much of yourself.

Enjoy it. Its great fun.

I race a white r33 with a really lame sticker configuration on it which my father chose. Gold rims. Might see ya around sometime.

re helmets go closed face if you can, some operators won't let you use open faced, and if yuo even drive an open car you wont be able to use an open faced helmet either.

The most important thing about a helmet is whether it is comfortable or not....so pay the extra, go to a bike shop with a big range and try on everything until you are happy. They need to be snug but not tight and if you wear them fir a while yuo will feel the difference in shape some are really uncomfortable for some heads.

Tyre pressures...with road tyres keep them nice and high, between 40 and 45 hot. The 326s are shit and will ruin your fun for the day, so when you buy new tyres buy something decent it makes an amazing difference.

Other advice...same as r33_racer.....road driving habits are no good on the track, when you are out for yuor first time you will brake way too early, turn in to the corner way too early and go thru the corner way too slow....ideally you should take the time to go out with someone who knows what they are doing you will be amazed how different the right lines are to what most people take.

And take it easy at first, you car is a road car and will overheat - oil, brakes, tyres. If you want to stay out there do 3-5 laps then 1-2 slow laps, then back on it again. Keep an eye oil temp and water temp.

And take a break it is hard work and when you are tired you make mistakes :)

And enjoy!

And take it easy at first, you car is a road car and will overheat - oil, brakes, tyres. If you want to stay out there do 3-5 laps then 1-2 slow laps, then back on it again. Keep an eye oil temp and water temp.

such a good point. i used to always try and be the enduro hero and do all laps in the session. it's not always a good idea as you will just wear out your car that much quicker. you car may only last 2 10 lap stints but could have lasted 5 or 6, 5 lap stints.

• 2 weeks later...

To obtain an L2S cams licence you must first join

a CAMS affiliated club. After this you can make your appllication

for your licence.

Do a search on this topic as this is a common question. :P