SAU Community

Need A New Clutch?

did they give any explanation,? or use a different material this time ? I used to do it heaps with my old JB single, got the point where every time I launched even with no riding the clutch it would weld :domokun:

their explanation was the clutch looked to be contaiminated.. or the clutch adjustment wasnt right..

im hoping one of these are the cause....

if it happens again i wont be happy :pirate:

anyone tried out the nismo copper mix single plate clutch? A Few people seem to be running the twin plate version, but i think it is overkill for my needs.

http://www.nismo.co.jp/en/products/competition/clutch/sc.html

If so hows it go? Im looking for a clutch to hold about 300rwkw and the car will see pretty much only street driving so I want something that is as close to the stock clutch in feel and driveability, yet strong.

iv been using the single plate in my r33. has 300rwkw and has been in for around 3 years. mainly drifting and seeing alot of abuse. Held up OK considdering how hard i pushed it. If i was to put a clutch in a 300kw car, wouldnt go anything else but a twin plate. Do it once, and never think about it again. But if you baby your car, then the coppermix will be ok.

• 2 weeks later...

iv heard of a fair few gearboxes getting broken with these jim berry clutches... How heavy are the clamp loads? are they dampered centres?

I think that only seems to happen when people are dumping the clutch at high rpm on take offs but someone else maybe able to shed more light on that.

a mate of mine had a fully monty in his 370kw r34 gtt not too sure what clamp load but he smashed 3 gearboxes. Then i hear some people abusing the hell out of their cars with twin plates and not damaging a single box.

a mate of mine had a fully monty in his 370kw r34 gtt not too sure what clamp load but he smashed 3 gearboxes. Then i hear some people abusing the hell out of their cars with twin plates and not damaging a single box.

That is driver related. U can smash a box on worlds softest clutch, yet u can retain a box with a multi plate clutch if u are not rough. I've had a triple, twin and jim berry...I will never go back to a multi plate clutch for the reason that they are too brutal on the driveline and are way too aggressive to drive. The best test, let your girlfriend/wife drive the car :)

im with you marko i cant see how a particular clutch can kill a gearbox its all bout mechanical sympathy imo you flog the ring outta your car and shit will happen regardless of clutch type its just the nature of the beast! My car has a Jim berry standard modified clutch which made 3100lb of clamp feels as light as the standard clutch and is handling 336rwkw fine i drive hard but i dont flog the ass outta my car though and from my personal experience with jimmies clutches its felt better than ANY other clutch hands down from the weight of the pedal to how it bites on take off its a very user friendly clutch indeed

well i just took my car out for a test drive.. fitted an ORC 709 9" disc solid centre hub twin plate.. Have never stalled my car so much in my life and i didnt even get out of my driveway! Not a clutch id recommend for street use at all but there is no time for being soft when its a track car. No more clutch worries :)

Marko & Mick, from a relatively small clutch shop, who specializes in heavy singles, there does seem to be a lot of reported box breakages from JB's ? compared to all the rest of the brands combined, would you not agree?

I'm sure there are equal numbers of people with the other brands abusing their shit. ?

Marko & Mick, from a relatively small clutch shop, who specializes in heavy singles, there does seem to be a lot of reported box breakages from JB's ? compared to all the rest of the brands combined, would you not agree?

I'm sure there are equal numbers of people with the other brands abusing their shit. ?

Smashing boxes would indicate the stregnth of the clutch rather than a weakness.

Imo that means they are good, the weakest link is what always fails. Though imo smashed boxes are almost always an issue of driving style.

More issues reported with JB? How on earth could you know, has there been a poll where the values have been normalised against the number of people buying them? This thread is almost soley about JB so unless you have made an excel spreadsheet with number of comments for and against for all brands and worked out the percentage, chances are your view is greatly skewed. More breakages could simply mean more people are buying them, might still be a lower percentage.

Smashing boxes would indicate the stregnth of the clutch rather than a weakness.

Imo that means they are good, the weakest link is what always fails. Though imo smashed boxes are almost always an issue of driving style.

More issues reported with JB? How on earth could you know, has there been a poll where the values have been normalised against the number of people buying them? This thread is almost soley about JB so unless you have made an excel spreadsheet with number of comments for and against for all brands and worked out the percentage, chances are your view is greatly skewed. More breakages could simply mean more people are buying them, might still be a lower percentage.

OK we'll leave the percentages vs brands etc out, that comment was only based on the amount of times I recall reading similar comments and personal experience, I don't want to argue numbers.

Smashing boxes doesn't show what a fantastic clutch it is, but rather how hard it is on the driver train. From personal experience I didn't change driving style and had never broken a box until changing to a JB 4200lb clamp single,

Anyway wheather it be materials or whatever, there seems to be a huge difference between peoples experiences, some love them say they last ages take heaps of abuse and have no problems, while others like me ( and I tried 2 of them ) found them shuddering heavy hitting and in the end would spot

weld itself to the flywheel every time I'd launch it, and got less than 5000km before rooted, in contrast, with the same driving style I just got nearly 25000km out of a OS triple .

I only give my opinion and experiences so people can make their own educated decision..

Though imo smashed boxes are almost always an issue of driving style.

that was my point earlier in the piece.

ive had multiplates & imo NOTHING comes close to JB's clutches for strength, driveability & gentleness on the drivetrain.

mine has never shuddered BUT those multiplates ive had would shudder on any rpm - i always felt like i was hurting the car.