SAU Community

Need A New Clutch?

RB30 flywheels are identical to rb20/25/26 flywheels from what I know. I used an rb30 one in my rb20, only issue is redtop rb20dets rb20ets and some other odd varieties have a smaller flywheel, however you can still use the rb30 flywheel providing you have a run of the mill 20/25/26 clutch kit.

picked the car up with twin plate coppermix yesterday

initial thoughts, bloody awesome, no rattle, didnt stall it once, very smooth and good pedal feel

going to bed it in for 500kms and report back

th_7da9eb54.jpgth_181181ee.jpg

I had one of these in my 33. It was fine till the car saw the track and a few big burnouts up to 4th gear. Didnt last long after that. Went straight for a Jim Berry "full Monty" and could do standing start 3rd gear burnouts with this. I like the feel of the clutch but combined with my driving style couldnt keep gearboxs together.

I had one of these in my 33. It was fine till the car saw the track and a few big burnouts up to 4th gear. Didnt last long after that. Went straight for a Jim Berry "full Monty" and could do standing start 3rd gear burnouts with this. I like the feel of the clutch but combined with my driving style couldnt keep gearboxs together.

no surprise there, not a drag clutch, I got mine as car will see 95% street duty

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys, wondering if anyone has any tips for me using a Jim Berry clutch. I have had it for about 9 months now, it is very light and grips very well. My only difficulty has been taking off fairly quickly but not a full launch. The gripping point seems to be narrow that if i feed any power in as I let the clutch out smoothly it shudders a bit. If I let the clutch out without any throttle its super smooth and if i give it lots of revs and take off hard its fine, it clamps well.

Anyone got any tips? My gripping point is very high aslo.

Hogh gripping point can mean the clutch hadnt been installed or modified properly. I remember when I bought my r34 it had some no-name clutch fitted with a pivk up point over 10cm above the floor. When I changed it for an exedy hd it took me about a week to get used to haha but after that the narrower pickup point, and the lowness of it were great

• 2 weeks later...

Just put a Jim Berry full monty clutch in my r32.

Only a stockish rb20det at the moment but will be using

It with my rb30det. Cant beleive the driveability and the pedal is softer than my previous extreme single plate clutch!! Highly recomend using jim! Very helpful guy and a very good product :-)

• 1 month later...

Hey guys,

I ordered a full monty for my R33 GTS-T. Its awesome, been in for months and behaves like new. Jim talks a lot but at least he is worth listening to! Not the cheapest, the best.

Get one. Don't think about it anymore.

• 1 month later...

Might have set some sort of record, just ordered a rebuild and was on the phone for only 5 minutes. rebuild costs are so good, and after looking at my full monty after 4 years use, it still looked in good nick and virtualy drove like it did the day i put it in

• 3 weeks later...

I called Jim today for a new clutch, but I think he was keen to get out the door (was the end of the day), so I didn't get all of the info I needed to make a choice. Can someone please advise me before I call him back to order?

Basically my question is what makes up the full monty package? Are they always the carbonic option, or does he do a organic one? Not sure which one to get as the car will be 95% street. Also what pressure plate does the fully monty use?

Also how do people find the full monty (carbonic) on the street? Do they shudder much?

Thanks!! :)

I will be aiming to make just under 300rwkw when I finish the build, however I would like something that will handle 330rwkw in the future.

How much power are you making Justin?

I just got off the phone with jim & ive ordered my second jim berry clutch as i sold my previous engine setup – there is nothing better out there & im running over 400awkw!

He has recently released the improved “Super Monty” which is the predecessor for his “Full Monty”.

Here are the amendments which makes it stronger & improves driving even further:

1. Runs an exedy pressure plate which has better materials & “the best in the market” in his words

2. Runs larger truck buttons rather than previously used car buttons

3. Surface diameter increase from 240mm to 250mm

4. 6 puck clutch plate rather than 5 puck, with sprung centre

Jim is going to get cracking on my clutch today & will be ready next week, clamp pressure will be over 4000lbs as per my brief & could be as high as over 4500lbs.

I’ll report back next week once its installed...

As a reminder, 1 of his claim to fames is Mattouk’s drag vl turbo with rb30 which makes 1050rwhp & runs the “Full Monty” clutch – he actually split his block which almost makes the jim berry clutch indestructible!

just recived my rebuilt full monty back and as marko has just said, i had the original and upgraded to the new version with the bigger buttons, and with both shipping cost it still cam in under 600 for the rebuild, very happy indeed

So I understand that the full monty / super monty is a great clutch, but what is like to live with on the street? My wife will be driving this car as well, dont want something that will be too heavy or something that shudders a lot and reduces the drivability of the car too much.

I know it is always a trade off between comfort and strength but I'm just trying to get some real world opinions.

Cheers :)

just recived my rebuilt full monty back and as marko has just said, i had the original and upgraded to the new version with the bigger buttons, and with both shipping cost it still cam in under 600 for the rebuild, very happy indeed