SAU Community

Need A New Clutch?

Will be calling Jim tomorrow , need clutch that can cope with 260 odd Kw max and be super street friendly in a GTS25T .

Cheers A .

No doubt he will recommend the carbotic full monty for your setup disco. I asked for a super street friendly strong clutch for 300rwkw. Just picked up the car yesterday from the eworkshop that installed it.

I had been warned they were very hard on the foot. Bull shit felt stock was even lighter then my exedy single 9 puck clutch. It bites so farken hard. Only issue i am having is the thing is so on off and basically i pull my foot 2 inches off the pedal and it just wants to go. I stalled it 4 times straight when i first picked it up. The drive home was in peak hour traffic too, few bunny hops and stalls was quite embarrising. My exedy had a long distance to pull out before it went so i just need to get used to it. So far i absolutely love it and cant wait to bed it in and launch it.

No I don't want a clutch like that in a road car .

He's talking about an organic plate and a bit higher clamp pressure diaphragm assembly .

He said that actually OEM Nissan plates have real good center sections and the linings are quite good - aside from the 250mm R33 GTR one but he does have a few good alternatives .

I am interested in one idea of his which is to use the 250mm plate and a diaphragm assembly that is dimensionally the same as and fits R33 GTS25T flywheels . The std plate for these cars is 240mm so an extra 5 on the radius shouldn't be an issue . The extra clamp area always helps particularly on the OD I'd think - still learning .

The diaphragm assembly he suggested is rated at 2500 pounds and the whole set is a new thing he is developing .

I don't do the err um howly wheelie stuff on purpose so a semi race clutch is not what I need , I've been there with three button sprung center feramic clutches and they are a bastard to live with . Sydney's traffic driving is getting worse with more people and cars moving in every day , the computerised traffic light system screws everyone everywhere so grabby clutches just make the torture more unbearable .

The feller I bought my GTS25T from said ex compliance the clutch slipped so demanded they fix it . He thinks just the plate was replaced though with god only knows what . It doesn't do anything too bad just lacks feel at times .

I just want something that can stand up to a few performance mods beforehand .

Jim doesn't like lightened flywheels in turbo cars and some of the reasoning makes sense . If I do end up with a slightly larger diameter friction plate I don't want any more revolving mass than these cars have std as that's the maximum I'd want .

I'm waiting for him to call back with a few more details .

Actually he mentioned that these RB25DET's have two slightly differently sized rear main oil seals and is not entirely sure when the changeover point was . Mine is a mid to late 96 build car with I think it's original engine , may have to see John Robinson Nissan spares at Rockdale in Sydney to see if they know by VIN numbers .

Lastly is it much of a job to change the gearboxes front oil seal ?

Thanks and thoughts , cheers Adrian .

PS memory thinks that VLT's used a 250mm plate and I believe VG30DE/T/TT too . Are they similar same as 33 GTR ?

disco, i have one of the JB organic higher clamp clutches in my car so if you want to kill two birds with one stone it might be worth having a drive.

the clutch is light as stock and exactly the sort of clutch you want for the street.

Just about sorted out what my clutch will be .

The plate is going to be an OEM Exedy 300ZX TT one which is 250mm/10" and apparently has good linings according to Jim .

They use a strong sprung center with plenty of "cushioning" so all good it seems .

The pressure plate assembly will give about 2500 lbs clamping force which he said should be fine for an estimated 270 odd Kw of which I'm aiming for ~ 250+ .

Jim said it should make for a very practical road car clutch meaning very easy to live with .

It is hard to resist the temptation to go straight to a carbon composite paddle/button clutch plate but to be realistic I have NO intention of drag racing ever and can't say for sure if this car will ever see a circuit .

What I can say is that the difference between this clutch and something that would be pretty bullet proof (with RWD and road rubber) is the above mentioned mentioned 250mm carbonic one .

A whisper tells me that there may be a car out there with this combination so with luck I'll get to see for myself .

Just a word on why Jim's conversations are so lengthy . He really does try hard to get to the bottom of what a prospective customer REALLY needs rather than over the top solutions . I guess it's not in his interests to sell people what they ask for if they are going to hate the result . As I said I've been there with feramic three button clutches and while it was possible to live with it the compromise gets very tiresome to live with in a road car . It was difficult to drive when tired , me not the clutch , because it was something you had to concentrate on every time you used it or it was baulky and cantankerous .

Overall a clutch than is new/can handle a bit more torque/can be driven by anyone .

Cheers A .

• 2 weeks later...

Have the new organic clutch kit from Jim and have to organise to get it fitted .

First the spare flywheel has to be lightened/faced/balanced and then the clutch assembled on it and balanced again as a complete assembly .

As I said before it consists of a genuine 250mm Z32 300ZX TT Daiken (Exedy) sprung center clutch plate though it was modded . Because of the way Jim set up the whatever 2600 lb clamp pressure plate assembly it wouldn't let go of the friction material with the std plates wave springs under the linings . The facings had to be removed and the waves reset and when he tested it he said now alls good .

Actually mine came south with another very similar kit which had a very similar pressure plate assembly that was set up for a sprung six button carbon composite clutch plate .

It will be very handy to compare the two and if that hard to get 3037 turbo can be had I may just have a need for a similar clutch kit .

More as it pans out , cheers A .

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I had an exedy heavy duty clutch installed on my 32 gtr free of charge (warranty). If it was not for free I would have opted for Jim Berry. I am having trouble getting into my gears, 1st gear especially. And often when shifting from 3rd to 4th i sometimes get a grinding noise. It was not doing it before the clutch was installed. Perhaps adjustment is needed. I have booked it in to the mechs next saturday but just thought I would check with skyline heads first on what could be the problem.

Cheers.

Hi Guys,

I had an exedy heavy duty clutch installed on my 32 gtr free of charge (warranty). If it was not for free I would have opted for Jim Berry. I am having trouble getting into my gears, 1st gear especially. And often when shifting from 3rd to 4th i sometimes get a grinding noise. It was not doing it before the clutch was installed. Perhaps adjustment is needed. I have booked it in to the mechs next saturday but just thought I would check with skyline heads first on what could be the problem.

Cheers.

i had an exedy twin plate & the driveability compared to my new jim berry is chalk & cheese :banana:

my exedy also made funny grinding noises at times, i wouldn't be too worried about that - although, selecting gear changes sounds like the clutch is not fully disengaging...could be that your slave cylinder is worn, i.e. is it easier to select gears if u pump the pedal a few times? i had this issue on my old gtr

could also be as simple as adjusting the pedal height to give it more leverage or bleeding the hydraulic system

i had an exedy twin plate & the driveability compared to my new jim berry is chalk & cheese :banana:

my exedy also made funny grinding noises at times, i wouldn't be too worried about that - although, selecting gear changes sounds like the clutch is not fully disengaging...could be that your slave cylinder is worn, i.e. is it easier to select gears if u pump the pedal a few times? i had this issue on my old gtr

could also be as simple as adjusting the pedal height to give it more leverage or bleeding the hydraulic system

Yes, your right on the money, it is easier to select gears after I pump the clutch! Thank heavens for this forum. I am going to bleed the system tonight and on the weekend I am going to get new seals for the slave cylinder. Hopefully that will fix the problem. I hope it isn't the gb. Cheers for the help, most appreciated!

i'm from melbourne and there is a place called hiway clutch and brakes, in cambellfield. (they re-bond handbrake shoes too!)

i went to get my flywheel machined as i'm getting a new clutch, but still deciding on what to get. and saw that this place made their own in-house clutches.

they had ceramic cushion and button clutches available,with 750kg clamp loads, for a pretty decent price too. they were similar looking to the exedy range.

i just wanted to know if anyone had bought a clutch from these guys before.? or the pros and cons of getting a clutch from a place like this.

they seem to have a lot of experience in building clutches.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Right now I am in the market for a good clutch that can take all that a GT3076R can throw at it. Only problem is that I am all the way pver here in Trinidad in the West Indies. Any ideas what I can use for daily driving and weekend blasts? Does anyone have an email address for this Jim Berry guy as time zones are gonna be throwing me off, day over here when it's night over there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I am new to all this so I was hoping to get a bit of advice.. I just bought an 15 which has had a new clutch put in... from what i have been told its about 5 months old and is a exedy heavy duty clutch. To put the car into gear and to change gears i have to push the clutch ALL the way down.. i mean ALL the way to the ground hard..

is this normal... is there anything i can do to bring the friction point up a little higher as it is quite annoying... i have read a few threads about changing the master or slave but wasnt sure if this was what was causing this or if i am just being a girl and this type of clutch is normal..

I find it is damn hard getting it into reverse and sometimes i hear a little bit of a crunch going into 4th...

I have a 6 speed manual gearbox if that helps... ANY advice woudl be greatly appreciated...

thanks in advance.

Hi,

I am new to all this so I was hoping to get a bit of advice.. I just bought an 15 which has had a new clutch put in... from what i have been told its about 5 months old and is a exedy heavy duty clutch. To put the car into gear and to change gears i have to push the clutch ALL the way down.. i mean ALL the way to the ground hard..

is this normal... is there anything i can do to bring the friction point up a little higher as it is quite annoying... i have read a few threads about changing the master or slave but wasnt sure if this was what was causing this or if i am just being a girl and this type of clutch is normal..

I find it is damn hard getting it into reverse and sometimes i hear a little bit of a crunch going into 4th...

I have a 6 speed manual gearbox if that helps... ANY advice woudl be greatly appreciated...

thanks in advance.

Yes the contact point is far too close to the ground. Make sure the hydraulic system has been bled properly, i.e. no air in the lines. You might be able to adjust pedal travel at the pedal or the slave cylinder.

Just called jim berry to fix/revamp the nismo twin plate i just pulled out of my 33gtst, he quoted 1350 for a new and differant centre, new clutch plates and all surfaces machined. Little more than what i was expected, but he says it will last the punishment ive been giving the old one. Just said 450hp at the wheels and doing 3rd/4th gear powerskids plus a few dabs of the far left pedal here and there to get the thing on song. He didnt offer any choices regarding organic or ceramic clutch plates though, so dont know if thats the 'full monty' or not.