SAU Community

Need A New Clutch?

fark that certainly woulda left a nice hole in the pocket! :)

keep us informed of how it goes, and what u use the car for :)

P.S lazy kent :)

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...howtopic=169861

Happy as a pig in shit with it, the pedal effort is no worse than a stocker and it is super progressive

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered my 'full monty' today,

Jim is a true gentleman, realy carefull about his work and the infomation he supplies to his customers and explains everthing in detail,

from the reports on the forum I have seen about the alternative clutches and the fact that Jim's product is so well supported by a local small buisness trader and the car enthusiest community I simply couldnt spend my money else where.

I have not driven on my new Jim Berry clutch yet but am happy with the service and time Jim has already put in with my purchace.

I'll let you all know if I have any problem with 7k rpm clutch dumps :domokun:

cheers

EDIT:

Have my car back and driving on my full monty and all I can say is WOW!

Its in run in stage at the moment so no launching, but I can report that the pedal is lighter than stock and altho it is a bit on or off in terms of the clutch hooking up, its not a real pain for me to drive. However I think it might be a bit much for the wife to trundle to the shops with.

Awesome clutch :)

Edited by Betz

• 4 weeks later...

How easy are these clutches to use, I have a 32 GTR with about 260 kw atw, it will soon be around the 300-320 mark, The car currently has a Triple plate OS Giken Clutch in it, I am wondering how easy these clutches take off at the lights from standing start, Compared to my triple plate or even a twin plate, My car will have an easy life never going to go to willowbank, or be treated to harsh, Just need myself and my partner to be able to drive it without the pain that is involved atm :thumbsup:

Just drove a friends jim berry clutch today in a 33 GTR, I cant believe how light and easy this is, awesome, I will be getting one soon. just hope I can get similar clutch with about 300-320 kw atw.

I am making over 300awkws and have had the Jb clutch for over year been to the track and the drags(11.8@121mph) and its still going strong very eazy to drive.

Hey Guysss

Just received my full monty with a chrome molly flywheel from Jim

about to have it in this week, soo excited, more soooo than a fat kid with a big mac

jim was a legend he is a classic and real top bloke, held the whole kit for me for weeks until i had all the cash and did not sell it to anyone else....real nice guy

the "bedding in" stage would be what say 1000kms ???

Cheers,

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
When you get a Jim Berry clutch is there any point of getting the Nismo Big Operating Cylinder (slave) for a r33 GTR to lighten it up?

Thanks

I've got a 33GTR clutch in my GTT and while it's fine to drive I am getting one of these anyway. Bit lighter can't hurt.

Hey Guysss

Just received my full monty with a chrome molly flywheel from Jim

about to have it in this week, soo excited, more soooo than a fat kid with a big mac

jim was a legend he is a classic and real top bloke, held the whole kit for me for weeks until i had all the cash and did not sell it to anyone else....real nice guy

the "bedding in" stage would be what say 1000kms ???

Cheers,

I would say mine took 300kms. If I had my time again, I'd install it, go out for a drive for about an hour two giving it a bunch of medium street tyre launches and call it done.

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered the 'mini monty' off of Jim. Tell you what, I've never spoken to a nicer guy who is willing to spend the time to talk you through everything, hell we were just shooting the shit after a while and cracking jokes about everything. Went through the details of every componant and what I would need in my car for what I do with it.

It's best off to be honest with exactly what you do, he doesn't give a shit he just wants to get you the right clutch for your car. I spoke to him about wanting something tougher and therefore more expensive but in a calm reassuring voice he told me that I can buy what ever I want and he'll sell it to me, but I'm wasting my money in the end.

Now that's what an honest dealer sounds like.

Hell, after I get it fitted I'll tell you all how it goes and might even go see the man to thank him in person.

-Ivonin

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's in as of wedensday last week and all I can say is "wow".

The feel and bite of the new clutch is absolutely excellent. I spoke to Jim on the phone on Friday about it, giving a little feedback and a thanks. If you're looking for a 100% street setup and at a very resonable price, you don't always have to go with something like the Full Monty, which in some cases is overkill (as Jim pointed out to me).

But due to different applications and different setups you can't really be told how much your new setup is going to cost, but mine set us back $605 (inc tax) with around $390 to install it going through a very decent shop by the name of Auto Smart (also run by a man named Jim and reccomended to me by Jim Berry =P) in Stafford, definately taking my car back there. Jim from Auto Smart took my 'line for a run after the clutch was installed to give it a test (of course) found a few other issues, pulled it apart to have a gander, wrote me out a list of things that are wearing down or dying (so to speak) at no extra cost to myself. just because he could, I guess.

And no it wasn't anything dodgy =P.

Anyways, thanks to both the 'Jims', Race Clutch and Auto Smart, all you bastards are awesome!

-Ivo

• 4 weeks later...
quick question about JB clutch. for those gus with big Hps does the clutch slips at full boost and at high Rpms?

dude, im sure if they did they'd either be onto jim or have another clutch in the car!

quick question about JB clutch. for those gus with big Hps does the clutch slips at full boost and at high Rpms?

My 2 x JB carbonic/full monty clutches never slipped at 300rwkw but it was a different story when I upped the power to 385rwkw & dumped it at 7000rpm with slicks...dead clutch both times (disclaimer: my clutches were not the same as Dirtgarage runs). I ended-up fitting a NPC twin plate, it was $1800 compared to JB's $750 but it's done 3 times the work and has not required a rebuild + has a softer engagement (JB one felt like a sledgehammer hitting the block each time). Rebuilds are only $250 vs $750. In my case I wish I had fitted the NPC unit in the first instance as I'd be $1500 + labour in front.

Edited by slapper

My 2 x JB carbonic/full monty clutches never slipped at 300rwkw but it was a different story when I upped the power to 385rwkw & dumped it at 7000rpm with slicks...dead clutch both times (disclaimer: my clutches were not the same as Dirtgarage runs). I ended-up fitting a NPC twin plate, it was $1800 compared to JB's $750 but it's done 3 times the work and has not required a rebuild + has a softer engagement (JB one felt like a sledgehammer hitting the block each time). Rebuilds are only $250 vs $750. In my case I wish I had fitted the NPC unit in the first instance as I'd be $1500 + labour in front.

How does the NPC twin plate clutch drives in traffic or in the city? Is it a nightmare like a lot pf people says. Does it feel heavy on the pedal?

Does the NPC twin plate includes the flywheels when you bought it? Can they do rebuild for other twin plater clutches as well( nismo's twin plate)

Yudy

Or purchased a clutch to handle 385rwkw the first time, rather than trying to use something that wasnt designed for it?

Well i called NPC clutch this morning and spoke to Doug. I told him wjat my rig is making at the moment and later on i will be taking it up to about 320kw@wheels. And he recommends me to go for the NPC ceramic 6 Puk single plate which will handle 350kw@wheels. For $924 oncl GST = postage and the rebuild cost is only a fraction of the price. And it doesnt "slam" everytime when you engages the gears. I think i will be going with NPC.

Or purchased a clutch to handle 385rwkw the first time, rather than trying to use something that wasnt designed for it?

Well..... I specifically asked for a clutch that could handle 600HP with odd track days & drag-strip work (+ a specific reference to DirtGarage's clutch) .....unfortunately in my case, it was obviously not a 600HP rated unit.

Statis - The NPC clutch is very easy to drive around town, never had a problem in that regard but then again so was the JB single plate. Doug from NPC is a good bloke, he'll look after you.