SAU Community

Need A New Clutch?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all,

Just got tuned by Dr Drift, now got 266rwkw. Still got standard clutch and tonight i got a taste of a slipping clutch. Jim's clutch's sound good, pretty keen to get one. I live in Tas and want to know if anyone has any suggestions who i should get to fit it (in tas), and any ideas how much the labour would be?

Cheers

Where abouts in tassie are you?? I work at chris colgrave automotive in launnie, i fitted WHITER33's clutch. The GTR's arent a 5 minute job to get the box out, you'll probably pay upwards of $350 just in labour but could be more. Jim usually supplies a rear main seal and input shaft seal aswell.

Edited by shane_180sx

Hmmm old m8 Jim sounds like he is def the man in the know...booked in a dyno tune today, as ive just had a couple more bolt on's added,

and was told to expect anywere from 330-350 awkw's.

and my clutch was slipping consistantly b4 the new mods, so i might give Jim a ring and see what he has to say and i'll post the results... post/prior, instulation/purchase or all of the above.

thanx for the advise guys :laugh::)

Edited by Borgs

hey im in WA and my clutch is blown. after reading everything about jims clutch my mind is made up.. want to get a lightened flywheel as well. can jim supply as well or any one no of a place in WA that can supply a decent flywheel??? and a reasanable price for install??? any suggestions

hey im in WA and my clutch is blown. after reading everything about jims clutch my mind is made up.. want to get a lightened flywheel as well. can jim supply as well or any one no of a place in WA that can supply a decent flywheel??? and a reasanable price for install??? any suggestions

my clutch and flywheel will be going to jim very soon. speak with him and u will get all of the infomation u need. he is gonna lighten the flywheel when he does my clutch up. he wants the clutch flywheel and all the crap with them. grease and all. totally agree with other ppl though, when u call, allow a good hour or more! :P

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not too keen on flywheels that have been lightened as opposed to flywheels that are manufactured lighter than standard. I know of more than one that have gone bang. I don't think it's the skill of the person that lightens them though, more the imperfections in the original flywheel that come to the fore when it is lightened.

• 1 month later...
I'm not too keen on flywheels that have been lightened as opposed to flywheels that are manufactured lighter than standard. I know of more than one that have gone bang. I don't think it's the skill of the person that lightens them though, more the imperfections in the original flywheel that come to the fore when it is lightened.

I need to decide whether to use Exedy light flywheel (currently in standard clutch) or the factory flywheel with my new Jim Berry Clutch?

Jim reckons light flywheel is bad for drag racing as it makes hard to control wheel spin.

Can anyone advice on this issue?

Hi Jason, what are you mostly be going to be using your car for? I remember you telling me about the setup you had and even though it wasn't a proper tune when you took me for a ride it was still pretty beasty.

I've read alot about clutches lately and some say that when upgrading to a clutch with a higher clamping pressure plate, you should get a stronger flywheel too. So if you don't want the problems of a light flywheel just get a heavier stronger flywheel .

Andy, it is still my everyday car so driveability is a priority. This Exedy light flywheel I have is only good for track work or drift I reckon, the revs drop too fast between gear changes and I dont think it gives any advantage across the quarter mile too.

I got the 3600lb clamping pressure Jim berry clutch on order, was thinking of using the factory flywheel on it. But now that you have mentioned it, how or where do I obtain a stronger flywheel? From what I have heard the Nissan factory flywheel is pretty tough being cast iron, which is whats required by ANDRA if you are running 10s passes, not that I will be doing that sort of time anytime soon but good to know nonetheless.

i have got a one of jims clutches in my car now. had it for a month and it is a very nice clutch to do my daily driving with. i got the full monty he does and is as light if not lighter then the stock clutch.. however grabs incredibly well. the lightness makes daily driving much more comfortable then have a brass button or something like that... i would def recomend

...the Nissan factory flywheel is pretty tough being cast iron, which is whats required by ANDRA if you are running 10s passes

I don't get this bit, Cast Iron can and does crack at high loads and high revs, billet steel is a safer way to go. As ben how safe a standard cast flywheel is

bit the bullet and bought a ORC pro carbon twin today on recommendation from a few D1GP mechanics so we will see how good or bad these puppies really are. Im lazy so i dropped it off at CREATD so we can use the hoist :)

Edited by URAS

bit the bullet and bought a ORC pro carbon twin today on recommendation from a few D1GP mechanics so we will see how good or bad these puppies really are. Im lazy so i dropped it off at CREATD so we can use the hoist :domokun:

fark that certainly woulda left a nice hole in the pocket! :domokun:

keep us informed of how it goes, and what u use the car for :)

P.S lazy kent :P

I got the 3600lb clamping pressure Jim berry clutch on order, was thinking of using the factory flywheel on it.

That's the same setup I had along with a 600bhp engine and 1 too many 8000rpm clutch dumps resulted in my flywheel ending up in the crowd. Hold off another month and buy yourself a new flywheel from japan and get them to fit it at the same time, won't cost much more. Sure 99.9% of people use a standard flywheel or even a standard lightened flywheel (like my new gtr has) but this is 1 problem that can be easily avoided.

which is whats required by ANDRA if you are running 10s passes, not that I will be doing that sort of time anytime soon but good to know nonetheless.

I was still only in the low 12's and it happened so I would use their rules as a guide.

That's the same setup I had along with a 600bhp engine and 1 too many 8000rpm clutch dumps resulted in my flywheel ending up in the crowd. Hold off another month and buy yourself a new flywheel from japan and get them to fit it at the same time, won't cost much more. Sure 99.9% of people use a standard flywheel or even a standard lightened flywheel (like my new gtr has) but this is 1 problem that can be easily avoided.

I was still only in the low 12's and it happened so I would use their rules as a guide.

Thanks for sharing, maybe I should stick to the Exedy light flywheel thats already in the car. Not sure of its material though, only says "lightweight aluminium and alloy metal" on their website. How does it compare to a billet steel one?