SAU Community

Need A New Clutch?

I got a jim berry full monty like 3800lbs clamping pressure in daily driver skyline been in for like 40 000km mostly highway some day to day traffic and its not bad to drive people who drive comment its much same as a button clutch really but however is enough slip their to take off from getting pulled over without chirping the tryes :yes:

im happy enough with the clutch though i like shuddering around lol

First 1000km seemed the clutch was even more on/off before clutch material wore in.

Also full monty comes with modified throw-out bearing or watever it is exact same feeling as normal clutch in pressing down the peddle just instead of slip just goes bang in lol nice reasurring grab i think makes for amusing watchign when tryes places are trying to put car on hoist for new tryes hahahaha

*note some tire wear may occur from clutch usage lol*

• 1 month later...

I have a JB mini monty with 3000lb pressure plate and organic clutch plate fitted. The clutch pedal is almost as light as a standard clutch yet it bites hard for an organic clutch plate and is a pleasure to drive.

My FJ20 has 250rwkw and no clutch slip whatsoever. I highly recommend a mini monty if your after a good street clutch.

does jim berry makes clutches suited for drift and will hold 300kw and constant abuse?

i payed 1150 for this nismo clutch and its already starting to slip... and im thinking of paying 1500 for a twin plate orc..

I have a JB mini monty with 3000lb pressure plate and organic clutch plate fitted. The clutch pedal is almost as light as a standard clutch yet it bites hard for an organic clutch plate and is a pleasure to drive.

My FJ20 has 250rwkw and no clutch slip whatsoever. I highly recommend a mini monty if your after a good street clutch.

mines going in this week :) much the same spec. not sure exactly what the clamping pressure is but its getting the organic too and will hold 400HP according to Jim.

does jim berry makes clutches suited for drift and will hold 300kw and constant abuse?

i payed 1150 for this nismo clutch and its already starting to slip... and im thinking of paying 1500 for a twin plate orc..

im sure he would be able to make one to suit. just tell him you want a clutch that will stand up to 300kw constant abuse. might cost a bit more than an orc but not sure. my 'mini monty' or whatever its called is costing me over $800 for a daily driver clutch.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I mite have to look into buying one of these. I had to get a clutch for my liberty b4 and that cost me 1100 and that was just the standard item. Where everyones paying 800 - 1100 for full hard out perfourmance clutches. I wish i bought a skyline sooner

has anyone had a jim berry full monty in thier r32 gtr?

im looking to get one just wanted to know how much they cost and how they perform for daily driving?

i have a 220awkw gts4 with gtr gearbox and extreme flywheel. if that helps.

thanks

• 1 month later...

Jim Berry clutches after all my search it looks to the clutch to buy. I have several questions :

I have a 1995 GTR with 600whp ....which clutch from JB will work for me ? how much it cost ?

What can I do with the 3rd gear problem in my 5 speed tranny ? How complicated is to change for a 6 speed Getrag ?

I will use the car for drag race and almost everyday driving..... what should be a decent E.T. on the 1/4 mile with 4 radial neova tires ?

:)

Best advice is to call Jim and talk with him.

Great guy to talk to certainly knows his stuff..

Had some first hand experience with him a couple of days ago, while sorting out what to do for a clutch for myself.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys. I almost bought a full monty for my r33 gtst. amongst other things it has a gt3040 running 25psi on high boost so lets just say its not shy on clutches. I was about to buy a full monty after driving a mates but instead i listened to my old man who was a mechanic for 30+ years. I instead went to a clutch builder in lismore called dave write who apparently builds heaps of big hp skyline clutches for workshops in sydney. Anyway for about half the price that Jim quoted iv got a great clutch in my line that hasnt sliped nomatter what i throw at it. After countless 4-5k rpm dumpes with 275/35 18's and 346rwkw all i have had is traction or lack there of.

Happy to demo for anyone any time. Try his phone on 02 6621 6495

Il see if i can find some pics i had of the install.

• 3 weeks later...

I currently have an Excedy HD single that I was thinking of upgrading with the JB full monty - but decided on the Nismo coppermix twin.

Betz - sorry to hear mate, at least you confirmed the full monty status for a GTR. are you goign to get a nismo coppermix now? sound good by all accounts.

I currently have an Excedy HD single that I was thinking of upgrading with the JB full monty - but decided on the Nismo coppermix twin.

Betz - sorry to hear mate, at least you confirmed the full monty status for a GTR. are you goign to get a nismo coppermix now? sound good by all accounts.

its comming out on sat, not sure on warranty policy (or even if its a warranty at this stage), however.. if it is a failure it wont be going back in, so coppermix twin looks like best option from the research I have done. I cant afford downtime on my car as its a daily driver :P

cheers

Excuse my lack of knowledge..

but can someone explain to me whether a non puck type clutch is effective for a 250-330 rkwk rb25 skyline.

Basically i've been told only about puck type clutches 3 , 5 , 6 etc etc. BUT i was also told about non puck type clutches such as "ceramic lining clutches" which do not have individual pucks (buttons), but unsure if these are ok. Say for example a ceramic lining with 1000kg

I got some info on them here below, but don't understand if theyre ok or generally used?

Ceramic

Of all types of linings, ceramics offer the highest co-efficient of friction at around 0.48-0.55. This means they can be used with a lower clamping force pressure plate as the lining provides the grip. But because of this attribute, they cause a lot of wear on mating surfaces and shudder can be commonly encountered. Ceramics can take more heat than an organic material, but deliberately slipping the clutch tends to burn up the flywheel and pressure plate more than the lining.

its comming out on sat, not sure on warranty policy (or even if its a warranty at this stage), however.. if it is a failure it wont be going back in, so coppermix twin looks like best option from the research I have done. I cant afford downtime on my car as its a daily driver :rofl:

cheers

What's the latest?

my dispatch girl botched the packaging and Aussie post sent it back to me, so it went out today.

Jim should have it tomorrow, its welded together, I spoke to Jim and he said it happens sometimes.... due to contamination

nothing is actually worn or broken, just some dust. no oil or anything.

hoping I will get a call from him tomorrow with some info. I hope anyone following this doesnt take my frustration as critisisim of Jim's work but I was expecting better performance out of it and service life, hope its somthing simple and I get my beast back soon.

lol, scabbing loan cars is the pits, so far have had a Nova, a porker 911 and an Izusu truck! :)

cheers