SAU Community

Does anyone know............

Scotty Boy

AFAIK, basically you can't have anything which is higher than the top of the steering wheel.

So my double A-Pillar Gauges are illegal, because the second is over the height of the wheel and therefor in the eyes of the law, impedes my vision. A single A-Pillar gauge mounted low should be fine though.

Next time your in a taxi, see where they have their gadgets up to, from what I've heard they have them mounted legally.

I had a double a pillar in my 200sx..... if u want to be tricky got snap some fotos of a few cop cars and taxis which have equipment mounted way higher than the steering wheel and keep some fotos handy. If a cop trys to defect you then stand up...... if u take the fotos to court u will win :(

Originally posted by BY BY

if u want to be tricky got snap some fotos of a few cop cars and taxis which have equipment mounted way higher than the steering wheel and keep some fotos handy. If a cop trys to defect you then stand up...... if u take the fotos to court u will win :D

Wouldn't it be more likely you'll be fined and defected and the cops will tell you that the nice photo's you have are perfect examples of illegally mounted devices ?

Just having photo's of others doing the illegal doesn't make your situation any less illegal ... Like saying if I got a photo of a cop shooting someone, I could use this in my case if I ever chose to shoot someone ? :(

Erm Jim

"Wouldn't it be more likely you'll be fined and defected and the cops will tell you that the nice photo's you have are perfect examples of illegally mounted devices ? "

Exactly. Take photos of instruments mounted in some police cars and taxis etc - yes the cop will prolly still defect you if hes an ass, but if you take it to court the fact is police and taxis arent allowed it when its banned due to being a safety issue so regardless of the usual indemnity police fall within, the same rules for vehicle safety should apply.

Anyway I have a simple solution. Engineer your car with the gauges. I did and never had a problem.

"thats not legal"

"let me find my engineers report officer"

"hmm ok that will be all - be on your way sir"

"thanks officer"

What I'm saying is that just because someone else does it, doesn't make it right. There is no way you'll escape a defect or win a court case based on the fact that you happen to have photo's of other cars with illegallly mounted devices.

It's like the old, he hit me so I hit him back at school ... and if I remember correctly at school, you both got in shit at the end of the day ....

are pillar gauges beyond the guidlines something that can be engineered anyway ? I'm sure such things you couldn't get engineered ? Just like having the front windscreen tinted, you can't merely engineer it and make it legal ?

Jimbo: yes can be engineered.

Ok, lets say you are defected, you take the defect (and fine if applicable) to court which has been issued by a police officer. I cant see how a judge will let a defect and fine stand when you have blatant proof of the same offence being commited by the very police cars which book you in the first place.

Another example: A nasty highway natzi from ***** Highway patrol drives a WORKED green wrx yet bookes people for bovs, exhausts etc when his car features all of them. If and when this guy defects me or my friends again we will have photos to take along to court. (this is true)

Not many ways a cop can defend his being a hypocrit is there....a classic case of double standards....

PS i know people to have taken these things to court and won straight out and the officers inolved have received lectures from the judge, one in particular was nailed for "using his own poor judgement as to what he THINKS is legal and not legal"

Food for thought

These are all circumstantial arguments...

I hate to say it, but "it all depends"...

Generally, you can be sure that the "but the police did it... so I can do it too" argument won't hold water with the police officer, or the judge presiding over your case...

Police adhere and follow a different set of rules to normal citizens... Like it or not, in *most* cases, they are above the law.

The best policy is try to avoid confrontation altogether...

Andrew. :uh-huh:

Merli: I agree, however a fine is unlikely to stick if in these circumstances.... however yes it all depends.

The case with the officer driving the defective WRX is a special case which would be duely noted by the court.

Either way be very careful and know where you stand before you try this shit at home.... i have had several run ins with these guys so i know a few ways to handle it...

Jimbo... erm believe that anything above the steering wheel is not legal but can be passed by an engineer.... nothing to argue here....

we were just mentioning ways to get around it

A-Pillar guages are illegal because you can hit your head on them - not because they effect your sight.

J, the S15 200sx JDM models had A-Pillar guages - not the locally delivered ones.

And yeah, cops do get away with more because they are cops, but we can't call double standards on that, have the time its because they need the things they have... they might have a guage or something mounted high on the A-Pillar because they NEED it there, i am ok with that. They risk their lives every week for people, why SHOULDN'T they be allowed to get away with shit in their patrol cars (not talking about the dude in the rexxy)...

anyway, thats my opinion... i am so sick of people bitching about cops.

BY BY - If it is against ADR's or whatever to have something like an A-pillar gauge then how can it be engineered? Doesn't it need to comply by ADR's to allow it to be engineered?

I am not sure how well the "well the cops have it" argument holds.... for example we've seen heaps of cop cars do illegal u-turns, park illegally, speed etc etc but its very difficult to use this in court. In the case of the defective WRX at least there is evidence but I think the best defense against getting a fine is some sort of certification such as engineer certificate (if that can be had for a-pillar gauge).

Originally posted by JiMb0

Prank, thnx for the info on that ... If a cop pulled me over for my double A-pillar gauges, if I offered to take them off then and there (easy nuff, only 2 screws) would he still be able to defect/fine me ?

I always wondered this... YET.. I got a Defect for headlight Eyelids, they were basically stick-on contact.. which I removed then and there.... Still got defected.. he just picked on something else....

*south park dude* I AM ABOVE DE LAW!

*crap!*

dude, check with an engineer. I had a monster tacho and boost gauge engineered on my gti swift, and they were mounted on the A pillar. The Engineer measures a point in front of the car on the ground, sits in the drivers seat and checks wheather it is visible across the bonnet line.

Dont believe what the police tell you in regards to these rules.

Check with an engineer or the RTA.