SAU Community

Painting and Powder coating rocker covers

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yep all the gaskets are of a reusable nature... i.e. they are a hard rubber type and seem designed to come on and off numerous times with no problem, just be careful of the cam half round covers, they were siliconed in at the end (back) of the engine but did not need re sealing....

paint used was from supercheap :P on special $15.99

Here's mine in Millenium Jade, front cover not yet back on because ive ordered new bolts from Nissan & waiting on a R34 RB26 emblem plate for the plug cover.

post-1076-1128846741.jpg

post-1076-1128847631.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly going through the polishing using a collector tub on a mates extrude honer and conventional buffer. post-6392-1129705406.jpg

Some of the painted ones look so good but are heartbreak waiting to happen in my engine bay :P

i had my rocker covers painted gold - 2 match my brake calipers & letters on plates..

here's a pic - sorry is hard 2 see - 1 of the few pics i've had a chance 2 take since getting my car back..

post-15205-1129707528.jpg

I've cracked it with trying to polish the front cover as it keeps coming up with marks from any contact, so I hit it with an alkaline solution to give a good base for paint. Then I grabbed some Holts Metalcast red anodized finish and the base coat (silver) and bugger me if it isn't just like the R34 finish :P

I'll post pics when this forum stops stuffing about.

IMGP0077.jpg

Questions:

1) How much time is involved with taking the coveres off on a R34GTT with RB25DET?

2) How much would this cost from start to finish at a professional place.

3) Is there anyone in Sydney who wants to make some money painting my covers? :P Sorry, just lazy~

I also found the twin turbo pipe had to come off too...

When you got the twin turbo pipe off did you need to come in from underneath the car to undo those bolts or are the nuts welded onto the other side?

I need to replace my twin turbo pipe with a polished one and dont want to stuff around too much.

Cheers for the comments. It was possibly the easiest paint I've ever used and the red is a thin crystal lacquer that some have used on brakes and from photos looks great months later.

You can polish then lacquer straight over as well which may even be a nicer finish but the polishing an me just weren't getting on. I just wanted it clean enough to clear lacquer but never found a point where I was satisfied.

There is a heap of sanding and prep before polishing the other items TT pipe and plenum) that I may call on the anodizing paint again using another colour.

The Millenuim Jade is a nice fresh look too. What was the inspiration? Was that an M Spec colour?