SAU Community

Oil Control In Rb's For Circuit Drag Or Drift

This thread is out of control. There is a lot of information and I am lost. I've read pretty much all 33 pages minus 1 or 2.

What I got out of it was (for my setup, mostly street but sometimes track bnr32 Rb26 with an N1 Oil Pump and r34 crank) was the following:

- Run a 1.5mm restrictor (only need one correct?)

- Run a drain from the back of the head to the sump just above the fill line on the sump on intake side

- Run a catch can that vents to atmosphere, drain to the sump above the fill line on intake side (PVC block, lines from each cam cover)

- Enlarge the oil returns by 2mm

Can someone please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this or if I should do something different. This thread help me learn alot but now I'm confused on what to do.

Thanks

Mitch

This thread is out of control. There is a lot of information and I am lost. I've read pretty much all 33 pages minus 1 or 2.

What I got out of it was (for my setup, mostly street but sometimes track bnr32 Rb26 with an N1 Oil Pump and r34 crank) was the following:

- Run a drain from the back of the head to the sump just above the fill line on the sump on intake side

- Run a catch can that vents to atmosphere, drain to the sump above the fill line on intake side (PVC block, lines from each cam cover)

Can someone please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this or if I should do something different. This thread help me learn alot but now I'm confused on what to do.

Thanks

Mitch

Oil return from head goes to exhaust side of sump so oil gets sucked out rather than blown up. Other than that, looks good.

Thanks. I'll put both the drain from the oil catch tank (or as the manufacturer calls it, a breather tank) to the exhaust side of the car, and the rear head drain also to the exhaust side. Some people in this thread say dont drain from oil catch tank to sump, others say to do it. Then people say to drain to intake side cause its cooler, then others say drain to the exhaust side for vacuum. Very confusing, but a top notch read.

Edited by mitch32

Thanks. I'll put both the drain from the oil catch tank (or as the manufacturer calls it, a breather tank) to the exhaust side of the car, and the rear head drain also to the exhaust side. Some people in this thread say dont drain from oil catch tank to sump, others say to do it. Then people say to drain to intake side cause its cooler, then others say drain to the exhaust side for vacuum. Very confusing, but a top notch read.

i plumbed mine drain from the back of the head into the return line from the turbo :) if Nissan make that a drain spot it wouldnt be wrong you would hope.. works well :P

the sump breather should be on the intake side so more blow-by goes out the breather instead of up the oil returns due to the direction the crank spins. Head drain to exhaust side and sump breather to intake side is the go.

Yeah Cubes decided it was mature to PM me calling me a grease monkey (he has no idea of who i am or what i do) then boasting how he was a lawyer or in law school. All this tirade after all i did was point out the group buy he was running was in doubt as i knew the parts he was offering were unavailable as one of my suppliers had them on back order for 6 weeks. He then trawls the site and finds a post where i had a crack at SK and issues me with a warning to get back at me. He's a good thing gone as far as im concerned.

cheers for clearing that up Slaps. :ninja:

Not quite.. my supplier at the time stated they had the amount i required in stock. You popped your head in to the thread quite rudely.. instead of politely advising me of your 'inside information' you were damn rude and obnoxious about it.

I flared up understandably and requested you keep to yourself. yes calling you a grease monkey you replying "no im not, im a property developer" :)

A few days later I went to place the order and BAM.. sorry there was recently a large order placed we dont have any available.

Mind you this was back when Z32 AFM's were expensive.. I was the first to offer them at $280-290 on SAU, maybe the group buy saw the demand for Z32's at that price and made a few look in to a large order. Who knows. It sure damn seemed like it at the time.

As for the warning... LOL. I don't remember it but I'm sure you deserved it the way I've seen you speak to some. :ninja:

Edited by SLAPS

Not quite.. my supplier at the time stated they had the amount i required in stock. You popped your head in to the thread quite rudely.. instead of politely advising me of your 'inside information' you were damn rude and obnoxious about it.

I flared up understandably and requested you keep to yourself. yes calling you a grease monkey you replying "no im not, im a property developer" :)

A few days later I went to place the order and BAM.. sorry there was recently a large order placed we dont have any available.

Mind you this was back when Z32 AFM's were expensive.. I was the first to offer them at $280-290 on SAU, maybe the group buy saw the demand for Z32's at that price and made a few look in to a large order. Who knows. It sure damn seemed like it at the time.

As for the warning... LOL. I don't remember it but I'm sure you deserved it the way I've seen you speak to some. :ninja:

Some people don't like to accept they sometimes make errors...and when its pointed out to them have a tanty and get all narky. As it turned out you couldn't supply the product you originally stated you could so as it stands my comments were vindicated.

I am an electrical engineer by trade but also dabble in a bit of property development which i always have a least one project on the go. If you would like to view the completed development project i was undertaking at the time go to http://www.torrenbell.com.au/ then click on portfolio, units, diemar to view. :D I hope your law degree (or whatever you are studying) is going well, but remember when you are loosing an arguement regarding a point of law name calling is going to get you nowhere.

Im sure ive had a crack at a couple of guys on here but hey ive earned more of a reputation helping people out and doing quality work on not only my own cars but others as well. I freely share knowledge gain from developing and testing our own cars...sometimes proving or disproving various 'theories' that circle the internet. This testing is done on our own budget and at times incurrs substantial cost but handing these findings on to the public forum to help people out does give some satisfaction. A couple of the major workshops have been a little critical of why i sometimes do this as they are aware of how much time it has taken them test and prove various products/systems.

You could have left this way in the past but you were the one who decided after all this time to dredge it up again. Very silly and childish of you. :ninja:

On topic.

Edited by DiRTgarage

Thank you for making my point for me. There is no "oil stuck in the head" problem. It's a crappy sump design problem.

No no.... My RB25/30 pumps everything to the head, then out the oil breathers... There is sdefinitely a problem at sustained RPM.

The other big thing, most RB26 that are spinning big ends are doing it in GTRs... Which manage to turn with ALOT more G-Forces then the RWD brigade do... :blink:

Dirt.. will take this to pm. Keep it clean this time :down:

cool :blink:

No no.... My RB25/30 pumps everything to the head, then out the oil breathers... There is sdefinitely a problem at sustained RPM.

The other big thing, most RB26 that are spinning big ends are doing it in GTRs... Which manage to turn with ALOT more G-Forces then the RWD brigade do...

yes and yes

Edited by DiRTgarage

Thanks

Mitch

Most people that deal with RBs will tell you to elarge and baffel the sump... wasent on your list, but i've found it to be the most recomended mod, so probably something you might want to look into

Come on guys.

23 years of developing RB engines and we're forced to run butt ugly laundry hoses from corner to corner across our engine bays !

Most of our engine bays looked better than our wives before this S... started.

Come on guys, think.

There's gotta be a better way out of this for those of us poor souls whom built engines before this was COMMON knowledge.

:laugh:

Has anyone tried running completely unvented ?

How much pressure is really going to build up? Strong enough to blow gaskets ?

I have RB25/30 Tomei 1.5mm restrictors front and rear, VVT left as is, and N1 pump, no rear drain.

I may consider running my pcv directly unvented to my dipstick.

After turn 1 at Eastern Creek, I had nothing on decel, but once I booted it to turn 2, I had a continuous plume all the way to the turn. I'm assuming the pcv outlet is the culprit for the oil spew into the plenum.

I'd be hesitant to say with all the oil pressed against the front right corner that spewed through the bridge, and up through the s bend into the intake.

Another thing that satisfies this is that my BOV is uphill from the intercooler as least 30mm, so when parked the oil must have run down from the plenum.

After the 10 min session I observed atleast 70mm oil drop out of my undermount BOV.

Now the intake side breather. Take the left side rocker off.

What about fitting another breather entry at the rear directly over the main oil drain. Then leaving the left to right bridge pipe in tact, bridge another from front to rear, left rocker only.

If the head is full of oil , on decel it'll be all at the front, and either go down the pcv to the sump(RHS) or spew back through the new bridge directly into the rear internal drain(LHS).

How does Nissan deal with blow by in the VR38DETT as it's under a pressurised lubrication system ?

It's described as 'pressurised' not vacuum so I'm assuming it's positive.

Still not convinced with catch cans.

Cheers.

I'm not a mechanic so don't bite my head off.

But my instinct tells me laundry hoses are not the final chapter for the infamous RB !

Has anyone tried running completely unvented ?

How much pressure is really going to build up? Strong enough to blow gaskets ?

I have RB25/30 Tomei 1.5mm restrictors front and rear, VVT left as is, and N1 pump, no rear drain.

I may consider running my pcv directly unvented to my dipstick.

After turn 1 at Eastern Creek, I had nothing on decel, but once I booted it to turn 2, I had a continuous plume all the way to the turn. I'm assuming the pcv outlet is the culprit for the oil spew into the plenum.

I'd be hesitant to say with all the oil pressed against the front right corner that spewed through the bridge, and up through the s bend into the intake.

Another thing that satisfies this is that my BOV is uphill from the intercooler as least 30mm, so when parked the oil must have run down from the plenum.

After the 10 min session I observed atleast 70mm oil drop out of my undermount BOV.

Now the intake side breather. Take the left side rocker off.

What about fitting another breather entry at the rear directly over the main oil drain. Then leaving the left to right bridge pipe in

tact, bridge another from front to rear, left rocker only.

If the head is full of oil , on decel it'll be all at the front, and either go down the pcv to the sump(RHS) or spew back through the new bridge directly into the rear internal drain(LHS).

How does Nissan deal with blow by in the VR38DETT as it's under a pressurised lubrication system ?

It's described as 'pressurised' not vacuum so I'm assuming it's positive.

Still not convinced with catch cans.

Cheers.

I'm not a mechanic so don't bite my head off.

But my instinct tells me laundry hoses are not the final chapter for the infamous RB !

block all the breathers and the turbo will smoke so bad youll think its on fire

• 3 months later...

can all the gurus here make a consensus which to use....

street...

circuit

drag

drift

rb20...

rb25

rb26

rb30

and all the in betweens

been reading all 34 pages, confused! :D and w/ a headache with all the terminologies and technicalities...

shed some light to those lay people like us...

thank you in advance! great thread btw!

Edited by zephyro90

it has been a tricky read. i hope i got mine right as i just got my motor back from the shop. rb25 used for drift and circuit.

baffled and enlarged sump

oil return at rear of head to the sump

restrictor in the middle oil hole.

fingers crossed i have not created a problem.