SAU Community

How To Fit A Z32 Afm

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

wat r the advantages of a z32 afm? to power gain? does anyone have any comparison results ? im sitting on 306hp atm with r23 w/ rb25, apexi 300 or 400hp turbo (not sure which 1)n a pod, greddy radiator, hks fmic, oil cooler, 3" zorst w/ 2 hi flo mufflers n no cat, Twin Plate brass button Clutch,

Splitfire Coilpacks, shimmed diff

my goal is 500hp so wats next to get there ?

thanks simon :(

Since the S2 R33 only has 1 ground wire coming out, can i solder both the Signal ground, and the 12V ground, to the one ground?

Yes, that's the way I wired mine in as the Neo only has 3 wires aswell.

• 7 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread but my questions is still relevant so saves making a new thread.

Anyway, my car is going in to the tuners on Monday to get tuned with my new turbo, injectors and Z32 AFM but since I know how to wire the Z32 AFM into my S2 RB25det (thanks to this tutorial), I figured I could save myself some money by installig it myself..

I doubt I'll be able to solder and re-wire it outside of the tuner and getting them to push the car in, and me wiring and installing it at home before getting to the tuners means my car won't run so I can't get there lol

SO, my question is, am I able to wire some female connectors into the wires into the loom from my RB25 plug going into the ECU and some male connectors onto the other end of my wires into the plug, and then wire some male connectors onto the wires of the Z32 plug?

Essentially, it just means I can drive the car down to the tuners and when he's ready to tune, I can just unplug the old AFM and plug in the Z32 AFM.

Here's what I mean:

------[> is the male connector

}------ is the female connector connecting to the standard loom

so before I go to the tuners:

RB25 AFM--------Standard RB25 AFM plug------------[> }------------------to the ECU

When I get to the tuners:

Z32 AFM----------Z32 AFM plug ---------------[> }----------------- to the ECU

Will the connectors I put in place affect the voltages and the signals being sent to the ECU?

Edited by turbodragon

• 4 weeks later...

SO, my question is, am I able to wire some female connectors into the wires into the loom from my RB25 plug going into the ECU and some male connectors onto the other end of my wires into the plug, and then wire some male connectors onto the wires of the Z32 plug?

Essentially, it just means I can drive the car down to the tuners and when he's ready to tune, I can just unplug the old AFM and plug in the Z32 AFM.

Will the connectors I put in place affect the voltages and the signals being sent to the ECU?

probably too late now, but....this sort of intermediate connection should be OK, as the extra resistance imparted by your "quick connect" system should only be a fraction of an ohm, which wont upset the AFM output voltage. Did you end up doing it this way?

• 4 weeks later...
probably too late now, but....this sort of intermediate connection should be OK, as the extra resistance imparted by your "quick connect" system should only be a fraction of an ohm, which wont upset the AFM output voltage. Did you end up doing it this way?

Sorry for the late reply, only just seen it.

I just wired the Z32 plug into the existing AFM loom so the RB25 plug is still attached.

In other words, the one loom as 2 plugs on it, the Z32 and RB25 :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

a quick question for those of you still playing at home

which ground do i earth to chasis? 12v ground or signal ground?

i'm installing this in my r34 neo, btw.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

for anyone that's interested....

r34 neo install

r34 wires > z32 plug

white/blue > D

orange/blue > B

black/white > E

chassis > C

the loose wiring in the white insulation is shielding for the 2 signal wires, so do nothing with the loose wires.

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone,

as my question is related, i will ask this here rather than start a new thread.

Is a full tune required if I fit a Z32 AFM on my stock RB25DETT NEO ???

I want to fit an Apexi power intake pod filter, and I am not sure if I should go for the stock size, or to get a Z32 and a matched filter.

I spoke with my Nismo mechanic and he said that a tune shouldn't be necessary, but i want to here what others have to say....

Does anybody know of good places in Melb to get tune and stuff done? (i'm in west suburbs)

Thanks guys

Hi everyone,

as my question is related, i will ask this here rather than start a new thread.

Is a full tune required if I fit a Z32 AFM on my stock RB25DETT NEO ???

I want to fit an Apexi power intake pod filter, and I am not sure if I should go for the stock size, or to get a Z32 and a matched filter.

I spoke with my Nismo mechanic and he said that a tune shouldn't be necessary, but i want to here what others have to say....

Does anybody know of good places in Melb to get tune and stuff done? (i'm in west suburbs)

Thanks guys

complete waste of time and money. also not possible with the standard ecu, your "nismo" mechanic is wrong.

unless your maxxing your standard afm (not gonna happen on a stock car) and have an aftermarket ecu a z32 afm is gonna do more harm than good.

complete waste of time and money. also not possible with the standard ecu, your "nismo" mechanic is wrong.

unless your maxxing your standard afm (not gonna happen on a stock car) and have an aftermarket ecu a z32 afm is gonna do more harm than good.

I suspected as much, and also read that you don't need to upgrade the AFM until you hit about 400kw, so thanx heaps for clearing it up for me guys. Much appreciated.

I am going to stick on an Apexi pod on the stock AFM and see how that goes. Unfortunately, I am one of the unlucky R34 GTT owners that is lucky to get 400km to a tank of fuel,

so I will see what kind of effect it has on my millage and decide if it's worth keeping on, as my daily drive.

400kw? No, stock AFM is good for somewhere around the 220rwkw mark. At a guess you might have been reading something about someone who completely ditched the AFM altogether and went for a MAP sensor or something.

As for your economy, there have been bucketloads of threads discussing it over the years, but particularly with a stock ECU 400km to a tank is pretty normal around town.

400kw? No, stock AFM is good for somewhere around the 220rwkw mark. At a guess you might have been reading something about someone who completely ditched the AFM altogether and went for a MAP sensor or something.

As for your economy, there have been bucketloads of threads discussing it over the years, but particularly with a stock ECU 400km to a tank is pretty normal around town.

I want to put in a PowerFC based on everything I have read so far, but it's something I will have to save some $$$ for first, when they do pop up, they're on the pricey side... but I figure if I'm getting better millage, the thing should pay for it's self in no time

• 11 months later...

Stupid question, but im sitting on around 200rwkw in my series 2, is it worth buying one of these? I know the stock comp will not run this but will my safc2 handle it? What do i have to do? Im not interested in a power fc at the moment...