SAU Community

Compak Attak This Sunday 21st May

NXTIME

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone know what the camry ran?

7.0xx @ 19x.xx - Not very specific but according to the crew they had dramas and were running high 7's for the remainder.

Adrian

Alot of quick cars, some good racing but a fair few mishaps all day. It seems S/RWD had alot of disappointing events in it, for a class that had so much potential with all the cars that showed up for it.

Theo tq'd with a flat 9, then in 1st round of competition (isn't the top qualifier supposed to get a bye in the 1st round?) was disqualified by the starter for taking too long to stage. A fair bit o' bullshit, but ultimately the problem is with the WSID staff on that fracas.

Mark Jacobson had a small issue with his PPG box during qualifying. A real shame for an interstate entry, especially since last WSID event ended too soon for him as well. Hopefully Mark will come back another time, and not think that WSID is a curse for him.

Not sure about the "JUN" R32, but the CRD crew turned up pretty late with it and missed qualifying rounds for S/RWD. Had one grude match but didn't look or sound 100% (11.2 @ 12x?)... but for a first outing it's got some potential.

Shane Crichton (the last SAU member standing at the end) had to have the final re-run due to timing malfunction. At the second running of the final the RX3 "beat" him - again another disappointing result considering the first run might have shown a different outcome.

Again, for a field that had soo much potential the end result wasn't the best for both the competitors and the spectators.

Was the 1st outing for JUN at the strip, and as beer baron mentioned a few gearbox dramas. No doubt it will be back and quicker. The thing I love about JUN is its a daily driven car (owner drives it too and from work every day, its full weight with no weight saving done on it) and is one of the best mannered GTR's I have ever been in.

Good to see Andre hasnt lost his touch doing monstor burnouts in GTR's either.

I have a (pretty crappy) video of it if anyone wants it. Just send me your email address.

Edited by Amaru

yes a couple of those incidents were very dissapointing for the spectators. i think both theo and shane would be within their right to be a bit pissed at their outcomes. seeing a 14.0 sec pass beat a 9 sec GTR was a bit of a let down for the spectators that came to see theo run an 8. i really thought shane had it in the bag on the first run, but in the re-run only missed out by thousandths i think (break out by .004 from memory) so without timing it would be tough to say who won the first run, but stuff ups like that shouldnt happen in competition.

According to one of the CRD crew the 11.2 was really a 10.2 cos he left a second after the light went green!

HAHAHA!!

i'm assuming RT wasnt added to the ET in the grudge matches? so 11.2=11.2...

i really liked that car, and when they get on top of the box i have no doubt it will have at least another second in it anyway. but from talking to the owner he is keen to keep it as a street car as his sons love taking it out and about to cruises etc.

Just on the Daniel vs. Theo incident

Daniel did his burnout like he always does - short, sharp then rolls into stage. Theo has a slightly longer staging routine - fair enough.

The starter is king in these situations and despite commonly held misconceptions, doesn't immediately start the timer when racer #1 goes into stage. In fact, the starter is the fairness police on the line and will only start the stopwatch when he feels racer #2 has had adequate and fair time to stage.

Many people refer to this as "The 20 Second Rule".

20.3 seconds after the starter started his stopwatch he released the tree with only Daniel in stage. Theo red-lit because of this and the race was automatically called in Daniel's favour.

Those of us that read the rule book and stay on top of changes within the sport would know the following:

"The following changes were made by the ANDRA NCC at their February and April meetings.

ANDRA Competition Regulations: Effective 1/3/2006, the ANDRA Rule Book and any appendices or amendments endorsed by ANDRA will be referred to collectively as the ANDRA Competition Regulations (ACR).

The Starter in his or her sole and absolute discretion shall allow a reasonable amount of time for Competitors to pre-stage and initiate the full staging process. Failure to pre-stage or stage upon the Starter’s instructions is possible grounds for disqualification. If a Competitor has failed to stage within ten seconds of his or her opponent being permitted to do so, then that Competitor may be adjudged to be “sandbagging”, and the Starter may initiate the starting sequence, at his/her discretion. The non-staged competitor is disqualified, and no further penalty shall be exacted."

Basically, the starter gave Daniel's opponent a 'reasonable' amount of time to stage and ONLY THEN started his timer. After 10 seconds he could of released the tree but instead waited more than double the allowed time to get both cars into full stage. Them's the brakes.

it was a great day of racing and it highlihted a lot of things to us all as racers.

racing is a craft and strategy comes into it. the 20 secnd stage rule has been highlighted time and time again, everyone that straps a helmet on should no this. i heard some one make a comment the other guy should have been courteous to theo to allow him to get onto antilag. full credit to the other guy, he knew the rule and used it to his advantage.

i was amazed how many cars in our class were none comliant, ie running slick or no passenger seat. for f*k sake, read the rule book, race to the rules or piss off and race in some other class.

it was a shame to see people break things, i was parked behind Marks car at scrutineering, i saw the N20 sign on the back and got a chubb. i was looking for a big number from it and to see it break on its first pass was a disappointment.

poor old twoogle, that was a shame as well, something so simple crewed a weekend.

as for my final, yea i beat him the orange rotary the first time with ease and yea i was a bit peeved that the boards dodnt work and they made us re run it when we were both happy with the out come. i did beat him the second time aswell but broke out by .004 for a lose.

i nursed a slipping gearbox all day, hence why my dial in jumped from 10.5 to 11.45 in elimintations. having said that even with a slipping box i ran a PB of 10.55 at 130mph in a grude run.

thanks to SAU memebers that gave me verbal support on the day, hopefully with a none slipping gearbox we will see a low ten second cressida at jambo and more space on my world record to the next competitor.

Shane >_<

yeah i agree, rules is rules. but half of the aim of these events has to be to entertain the fans, otherwise they will cease to exist. given that the guy in the 33 was very quick into stage, and given that theo no doubt has a lot more to consider and prepare when getting into stage (line locker? chute pin removal, etc etc) i think the starter could have used his discretion to give him a little more time to get into full stage as i'm sure no-one there wanted theo disqualified when he was top qualifier. it was a shame and you are right the starter adhered to the rules, but i cant help but think that considering he has discretionary powers in this case that it would have been better to give theo enough time to get into full stage and race.

yeah i agree, rules is rules. but half of the aim of these events has to be to entertain the fans, otherwise they will cease to exist. given that the guy in the 33 was very quick into stage, and given that theo no doubt has a lot more to consider and prepare when getting into stage (line locker? chute pin removal, etc etc) i think the starter could have used his discretion to give him a little more time to get into full stage as i'm sure no-one there wanted theo disqualified when he was top qualifier. it was a shame and you are right the starter adhered to the rules, but i cant help but think that considering he has discretionary powers in this case that it would have been better to give theo enough time to get into full stage and race.

20 seconds is a life time sitting in stage waiting on your competitor. when you have an auto that you have to build boost on its easy to over heat the gearbox whilst your waiting on your competitor, 20 seconds is more than enough. i think it will be great next year, they are splitting AWD 4WD from RWD.

I really feel for theo, its wrotten. farked.

But we cant blame the starter, cant leave the other guy on the line staged up.

It would have been more sportsmanlike for the other guy to just wait a sec for him to stage up.

i actually recall doing that myself once in the gtr at willowbank. Gave the yoboo v8 driver some time before i went into stage, as he was doing nice big bunrouts for the fans. so it took him longer to get ready and staged.

I could have jumped in and staged up and went through. but its not great sportsmanship.

spewing theo done a 9.0 the 8 would have come...

well done, at least the 8 should come up at willowbank now! :D

mick

Perhaps inexperience was at play a little bit here - however the starter takes this into account. There's no way in the world the starter clicked his timer the second Daniel went into stage.

From the moment he starts the timer, the opponent has 10 seconds to go into full stage. In this case over 20 seconds elapsed before the tree fell.

Really it's called courtesy staging and I agree that more people should take note of the concept. It's only ever really policed by the starter and this is why it is their perogative as to when they start the stopwatch to count out the time remaining and noone else's.

Tail-gaiting down the return road and chucking tanty's in front of the crowd is worse for drag racing and less sportsmanlike than going into stage a little bit early.

On to next year!

Adrian

Hard luck to the mighty TWO06L but when it comes back, oh man! Bigger, Stronger, Faster! :no:

Adrian

All our hard luck was of my own doing...had a 2 piece ATI balancer come adrift (yours truly forgot to check the bolts were torqued) on the dyno Wed night (which we believe fractured the oil pump drive).

Turned up a bit late and missed 1st qualifier.

Installed linelock solinoid the incorrect way around resulting in locked front brakes in the burnout box on the 2nd and only qualifier we fronted for.

Finally in ET3 round the oil pump drive collar broke on launch resulting in zero oil pressure.

All in all a c**t of a day/weekend/week for us.

WE WILL BE BACK THOUGH.......

HUGE thanks to Stuart and the boys from Bezerkly Automotive in Wollongong, Daniel Beer, Taryn and Brett for the kind words of encouragement from the grand-stand.

Adrian

how funny was it hearing buster yelling RICER over everything. he even put your staging hand off his job.

we had a great weekend thanks to brett and chris. was nice to put faces to the names we heard of from the forums. as for MR MAD the name couldnt be anything else that car is awesome.maybe next time we'll see more skylines.

how funny was it hearing buster yelling RICER over everything. he even put your staging hand off his job.

Mate that was GOLD! I can't hear the crowd, the announcers are muffled, the car is quiet, i'm rolling towards the burnout box, concentrating and looking at Stuie who is guiding me in, when all I can hear CLEAR AS DAY is Brett screaming, "RIIIIICCCEEERRRR!!!!!" at the top of his lungs and seeing Stuie doubled over in fits of laughter!!

Great stuff - bloody hilarious!

well where do i start. I would like to thank the guy that showed me the video of the red light and i must say that the video shows 16 seconds but that is wsid 4 you. But i am trying to find some footage of my 9.077 @ 156.25. If anyone has some could you please email me

Theo