SAU Community

Queensland 500 Returns!

Whiplash

It's a bit late now as it is happening tomorrow, but there is now a 500km race that anyone with a CAMS C3 licence and a half roll cage can enter

Info on it here

http://www.queenslandraceway.com.au/qld_500.html

this event will be happening again

Maybe something that SAU could look at entering a team into

Wwll!! It was a really good event !! I actually passed a Porsche 962,mind you, it was sitting on the grass beside the back straight at the time.

Briefly 14 teams entered (some with pretty fast and exotic cars) 11 teams finished the distance and we came 8th.

I started the race followed by the other pensioner and we were pretty conservative. We had only one set of tyres and brake pads and really didn't know if they would last the race or not.half way through young Darren's stint we were fairly sure they would ,so we told him to go for it. mick51 did the last stint mostly in the dark average 1min 32 sec and took the car over the line half a car behind the winning Monaro + a few laps.

The car ran like a train...didnt even use any oil. Comentators reckoned we were a good advert for Nissan reliability.

It was a first for QLD... a club enduro with such a mix of cars and such a huge speed difference between the cars. There were no incidents and the whole thing was a real blast.Beats the hell out of cruising your 500HP riced up Skyline up and down the coast dodging coppers :cheers:

It will be on again next year with a lot more publicity and promotion.

Excellent work Jay. If it's similar I should be in next year.

127 laps completed (159 by winner Wayne Park) and the fastest for you guys was on lap 124. Very strong!! Almost there with the rexies as well which would have been a little bait to push.

Congratulations to the team. This should link into the broken engines thread as an indicator to the strength of a sensibly cared for engine.

See you on the track Duncan :)

Yeah great work, I was expecting some one i know to enter his 996 GT2R porsche (600hp twin turbo) to go up against the Monaro which is how i found out about it. I hope moe tracks and states start events like this.

Duncan that was the first 427 monaro that won the 2002 Bathurst 24hr

Excellent work Jay. If it's similar I should be in next year.

127 laps completed (159 by winner Wayne Park) and the fastest for you guys was on lap 124. Very strong!! Almost there with the rexies as well which would have been a little bait to push.

Congratulations to the team. This should link into the broken engines thread as an indicator to the strength of a sensibly cared for engine.

See you on the track Duncan :laugh:

Geoff Where did you get your info from? Our lap count gave us 112 and the Monaro 148 (not that it really matters) but if you've got all the lap times I'd love to see them.

Been to busy to check the car yet but it felt just as tight at the end. Pretty sure the stock rotors are stuffed and the red stuff pads are well down. There is a couple of sprint meets at least left in the tyres, Yokohama Advan-032R,235 40 front 265 40 rear. How would these compare with the D01J?

Those results came from the natsoft timing site, It only shows the fastest lap and how many laps completed. Any one have photos of your car out there?

http://www.natsoft.com.au/cgi-bin/results..../05/2006.QR1.R1

Thanks for that. there are pics when I get them I'll post up a few. There is a fairly amateur video but it's on tape and we don't know how to get it on dvd.

This is the R33....on the Saturday afternoon finally ready and just about to go on the trailer (minus the palm tree ) :D

PICT0008.jpg

Our pit crew all spick and span in white. The girl on the right in the race suit is Rachael Smeaton...I think

PICT0012.jpg

One of the opposition...or a UFO...it didn't last the distance

PICT0016.JPG

There's pic's up on the qr website guys, http://www.queenslandraceway.com.au

goto the left and click on track then galleries.

P.S that girl on the right in the 2nd pic standing next to me is in fact our 3rd driver Darren! not sure what u were looking jay :)

Jay about to get in for qualifing

Dscf6274.jpg

Jay on the start line

Dscf6230.jpg

Think thats Jay driving

Ase_8523.jpg

Warren pitting during the race

Dscf6310.jpg

looks like Warren

Ase_8731.jpg

a 7 litre monster bearing down on us :wave:

Ase_8874.jpg

Me getting ready for the final stint

Dscf6379.jpg

me wrapping things up

Ase_9142.jpg

Edited by MicK51

• 2 weeks later...

Well done on running and completing the event mate.

The Porsche is a 962 from about 1988. It dominated lemans for some time. Top speed is 400+km/h at Lemans pre chicane era. They ran over 800bhp in their day. Flat six, twin turbo, etc.There is an article in Race magazine which I have a copy of from earlier in the year. I spotted on for sale on the www.amrs.org website for $400k US.If I knew it was running I would have been there in a flash.

The Monaro is the colour of the second monaro from B24 2003. Mabey they reprayed it or it is more than likely the second which was run by Brock and co which won the race in 2003. They only ran the yellow one in 2002. I knw this as I spent the weekend of both 24hr events falling over mount panorama.

Best of luck on your next event

• 1 month later...