SAU Community

Got A Yellow Sticker

HIPSI

hey just bring up the thread again. got my third yellow within having my car for over a year and a half. got it for my wing. but my question is, are the cops alloud to kick your car and shove a torch in your pod filter and yank it around to see if it is secured??

Damn that's harsh. I carry a happy snap camera (with video function) with me at all times just in case cops / general public arent' going to be friendly. The other week I took pics of some dude bashing up his girlfriend in the middle of the day in Midland. However cops didn't do much, as apparently half an hour before he did a stand still in the middle of the street venting out some anger (almost running over a cop in the process) after going to a domestic violence therapy session minutes before hand :S Only in Midland hahahaha.

Another question for those that know: Is exhaust size a road worthy issue (eg. 3.5") or just the noise it produces? Is this the same case for BOV also?

It's the noise it produces... and BOV's arent illegal coz of the noise.. I think it's because it releases gas into the atmosphere without being cleaned thru the cat/exaust :rolleyes: (and noise a bit i guess)

Let me know if I'm wrong :)

but my question is, are the cops alloud to kick your car and shove a torch in your pod filter and yank it around to see if it is secured??

I'm sure your definition of "kick" would somewhat differ from thiers if you took it to court :P

Yep, how else are they sposed to tell if your pod filters secured? Something only abuse can find out eh!

MattyP -its the noise, I got 3.5" on mine and it's pretty quiet eh :P

It's the noise it produces... and BOV's arent illegal coz of the noise.. I think it's because it releases gas into the atmosphere without being cleaned thru the cat/exaust :P (and noise a bit i guess)

Let me know if I'm wrong :P

Your very wrong!

It’s the noise and the gas emissions. The environmental pollution is enforced by the EPA and apparently can lead to some serious fines if caught by this body. The noise is similar to the exhaust; they see it as a disturbance and possible cause of distraction to other drivers.

Probably the main things performance cars get pulled over and yellowed for are...

1. Noise (exhaust, BOV)

2. Smokey exhausts

3. Ride height

Failing those they will look for

1. Rims/tyres too large

2. Gauges above eye level

3. Unsecured Pod's

4. Stiff suspension

And I have heard (but not confirmed) that you can get busted for the following too..

4. Aftermarket ECU's?

5. High mount turbos?

Just adding to this thread, I got my first yellow sticker on Tuesday afternoon :) 3 defects written on the defect is for the bov to not make noise, checking the fmic install to see whats been cut (I guess) & the front tyres, even though they are only a few months old & have plenty of tread, just the outside edges have a bit of wear on them. He managed to miss the high mount & all the shiny bits, somehow ;)

But my question is what are my chances of getting a highly modded car with no permits over the pits, especially first time? My bov is welded to a cooler pipe so don't know how to get around that, my diff I believe is welded so is quite noisy (suprised he didnt add that to the list, because I had to turn around into a side street while he wrote it up & he heard it & was like "What the hell was that smashing sound?" haha.

Everything else should be ok, but the thing is, it's looking like the earliest physical chance to take the car to the pits is the day before the defect expires. With work I won't have a chance during the day to get there in between, but if I didn't happen to pass it first time would they be able to extend it for say another week?

not always..

why would they issue you a sticker for the first (usually) 2 weeks, if they are going to extend it another 2 weeks just like that?

the whole reason you get a sticker is that they have reason to suspect your car is unroadworthy, so thry give you 2 weeks to either a) prove that it isnt, or b) get it fixed/off the road, they wont just extend it because you cant get there within 2 weeks.

if it happens that you miss the date, or you don't get an extension, then you need to ring up and get a permit ($15 for a 48 hour permit) to take the car to either a place of repair/work, or the pits themselves.

ps. do you have an external gate or anything? what about rim/tyre widths, are they the same?

I've got an external gate, tyres aren't the same but are just outside the allowed changed limit I think (235/45 front, 255/40 rear), but not really worried about the rims or tyres because I can just put on some stockies for the day if need be.

not always..

why would they issue you a sticker for the first (usually) 2 weeks, if they are going to extend it another 2 weeks just like that?

the whole reason you get a sticker is that they have reason to suspect your car is unroadworthy, so thry give you 2 weeks to either a) prove that it isnt, or b) get it fixed/off the road, they wont just extend it because you cant get there within 2 weeks.

if it happens that you miss the date, or you don't get an extension, then you need to ring up and get a permit ($15 for a 48 hour permit) to take the car to either a place of repair/work, or the pits themselves.

ps. do you have an external gate or anything? what about rim/tyre widths, are they the same?

what i meant is if they fail you on the first pass they give you another sticker to allow 2 weeks to fix the problems

(person i know got a yellow for cracked windscreen and oily engine - the pits passed glass, but failed the oily engine again and then added leaky shocks, tyres and something else - new sticker gave her 2 weeks to fix the new problems)

ossie, if you can only make it to the pits the day before the yellow expires. Just try to change as much as you can that you think will help, if you don't pass you can get it extend for i think its 2weeks but it cost you like $70 or something like that.

the only thing i can think of with your bov, is can u remove it and just place a metal section over the hole. or is the bov complete welded to the pipe with no part that can be removed?

what i meant is if they fail you on the first pass they give you another sticker to allow 2 weeks to fix the problems

(person i know got a yellow for cracked windscreen and oily engine - the pits passed glass, but failed the oily engine again and then added leaky shocks, tyres and something else - new sticker gave her 2 weeks to fix the new problems)

<repeat my first post here>

again, it doesnt matter if you fix as much as possible, but still fail, they don't always extend the sticker. (and you can't "buy" yellow stickers like michael said either)

PS: external gate == you're f**ked. :)

as mike said just fix as much as u can and hope the inspector guy is blind :bunny: hehe but i alwasy thought yellow stickers were 2 months cause when i had a yellow they gave me 2 months :) then i went through to the pits and got defected for my teins supposedly their too hard then got another 3 weeks then yeah i danno how things work these days ;)

Cheers

Chi

again, it doesnt matter if you fix as much as possible, but still fail, they don't always extend the sticker. (and you can't "buy" yellow stickers like michael said either)

sorry what i ment to say is if you fail the 1st time and they give you an extension you are required to pay a fee when you go back to get the yellow off, or so i;ve been informed.

Also ossie just try to fix up as much as you can, im sure if you show them you made an effort then they wont have a problem extending the yellow for a few more week. also turn your boost down or off and try putting a metal plate between the gate and the manifold JUST for the pits so that they wont be able to get the gate to vent so it shouldnt be a problem

Yeah I'll be talking to the workshop about it, because they deal with the pits a lot & will know what's best to change on my car as well. With an external gate I've also been told I could just set the rev limiter to 4k & say the engine is being run in, but is that so they can't hear the sound of it? Sounds so beautiful :rofl: