SAU Community

Oil Change At 5000km ?

JUNR34

Every 5k for me, the car is a turbo, its old, every 5k oil change that costs $70 can maintain the engine and save me a $1500+ rebuild....

Oil is oil, your engine loves the fresh stuff, imagine it like this...

Every 5k - a shower a day

every10k - a shower every 2 days.....

i dont wana smell :laugh:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The manual says 5000k's for a turbo's oil change and 10000k's for oil filters.

Totally insane to run new oil through a 5000k old filter that costs all of $10.00??????

No matter what, I never go near 5000k's, always less, and I do filters at 2500k's max with a top up to bring the dipstick level correct.

Anyone going to 10k's is just begging for lash adjuster problems.

The manual says 5000k's for a turbo's oil change and 10000k's for oil filters.

Totally insane to run new oil through a 5000k old filter that costs all of $10.00??????

No matter what, I never go near 5000k's, always less, and I do filters at 2500k's max with a top up to bring the dipstick level correct.

Anyone going to 10k's is just begging for lash adjuster problems.

Yikes, Im waiting for a new slogan: 5000 Kms is too much!!! Change at 1000 Km!!!

Why change the filter at 2,000km. If it really is full of junk at that stage, your engine has serious issues. Good quality filters are good for 10,000km.

Because I'm an old fart, been there done that etc.

I also know that with a blocked filter and even on cold start up, your system will run on by-pass quite happily re-circulating all the crap.

I advise anyone with the 10K filter mindset to cut up the occassional filter.

The cheapest insurance you'll ever get is a $10 oil filter.

Well I'm not here to tell people what to do but I reckon 2,000km changes is overkill! Yes a filter will go into bypass if its full of junk but as I mentioned, unless the engine has issues, a filter should not be full by 2,000km. Even then if the filter is plugged, by cutting it up you can't see anything anyway. Also when a filter goes into bypass, the debris is embedded into the media (unless you got chunks of metal!) so it shouldn't be going anywhere. Sorta like dipping a dirty shirt in a bucket of water.. the dirt just doesnt 'wash off' sorta thing.

yeah Busky2k is correct. 2k is actually worse than 10k...it wont start working for a while and not filter stuff properly as its being bypassed.

there is a lot of technical threads about how the filter works and why longer is better than shorter.

As for the whole 5k OCI...if u use a 300V or Redline ester based oil...again ur not letting the adatives do their thing...and hence just wasting valuable money. if ur gonna do it 5k under normal driving conditions just use a cheep oil.

Myth Busters needs a call on these..useing 10k OCIs on my car with redline, you should see how clean it is...no crud at all.

read this great info from BITG.

http://www.shoclub.com/lubrication-oil/lub...on-oilpart4.htm

Cheers for the feedback guys, seems to me a majority of you guys change it at 5000km due to "better safe then sorry" saying. I guess Ill probably change it at 10000km and then 5000 and see how it goes since theres no hardcore evidance that you need to change it every 5000.

every ~5,000 or 6 months.. depending how i've been driving.. I only do 10k km's a year.. so it's easy!!..

there is more hardcore evidence that 10k + OCIs with good oil and a good filter is better than 5k...if ur concerned do a UOA on your oil and see how its going and dont guess....

• 3 weeks later...

Is the Motul & Redline stuff really that good that you can get double the kays of other brands??? Seems a little optimistic to me. I may have to try it out just to see.

Think I'll be going a K&N filter if I do it though, not overly happy with the standard nissan filter. Started having major lifter rattle 1 day for several minutes after start up, was never a problem with the ryco's like that. Car's only done 4000 kays on the filter & oil (Elf Excellium 5W-50)

fully synthetic oils these days last much longer than mineral or semi synth oils. I don't recommend it, but you can probably leave it longer than 10,000 and still be protecting your engine properly.

I change my oil every 4,000kms or 6 months in a car that sees mostly track work these days. I also use genuine nissan oil filters, they are like $12-13

u shouldnt expect that when u first imported it, it was fresh oil either. when i got mine i changed the oil first thing, before i started using it.

but yea i have to agree with most, depends how u drive it, or how much u care about ur engines wear and tear.

i change mine every 2-4k and i drive it easy.