SAU Community

Turbo Oil Feed Leak?

DriftSquad

just installed a new turbo on my RB20. the latest problem is a slight oil leak i cant get rid of, coming from the oil feed on the turbo side. iv tried new washers and material washers. And it still leaks so slightly. The bolt is a banjo bolt.. has any 1 had this problem before?

what type of turbo did you install? is it oil cooled only?

if so the oil restrictor needs to be changed as ball bearing units need less oil than plain/journal/oil cooled only, so you need to adjust the restrictor

just installed a new turbo on my RB20. the latest problem is a slight oil leak i cant get rid of, coming from the oil feed on the turbo side. iv tried new washers and material washers. And it still leaks so slightly. The bolt is a banjo bolt.. has any 1 had this problem before?

Other people have wrote on this forum that it needs to be super tight, so use a breaka bar and use plenty of leverage and tighten the sh1t out of it.

Do a search on anneal, you may come up with something.

Essentially you use a gas torch or your mum's gas stove to heat your copper washers to a cherry red colour and then drop them in cold water.

I'll see if I can find my diatribe on this topic and add a link.

Go here:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...4&hl=anneal

Also I agree with Grigor, you use a breaker bar and you risk stripping the thread in your turbo housing, then you will be up that creek and in that barbed wire canoe and not a paddle in sight!!!!!!

• 13 years later...

Related topic but I'm not using banjo bolts, using stainless steel 7/16 -24 inverted flare.

I know this is pretty basic but im having trouble sealing the turbo oil feed fitting 100%, its not leaking leaking but after a drive there is a small amount of oil around the fitting half a drop or less you can see slight discoloring.20201004_145114.jpg.db3939fc2e7db3c3dd4add355d61d5f9.jpg

First time, I installed it was worse the fitting leaked slighty so removed and found a small bit of grit in the thread cleaned and reinstalled was much better. After a few drives i found again a smaller amount of oil around the fitting, this time removed cleaned and reinstalled a little bit tighter then before and it was much better but again a very slight amount of oil (less then before) (above pic) around the fitting.

has anyone else had trouble installing a stainless steel  7/16 -24 inverted flare.

How tight are you suppose to tighten the fitting?

Or anything else i can try?

Edited by dyl33

6 minutes ago, hypergear said:

Rub few rounds of thread type on the fitting thread. that should stop the leak.

Thanks hypergear, shouldn't a inverted flare seal though.

And will thread tape stop the inverted flare from seating probly or it doesn't matter