SAU Community

What Do U Guys Think Of Toyota Supras?

Adz2332

Hi

as u might know im looking for a GTR R32 but while i have been looking around ive come across a nice 1992 Twin turbo Toyota Supra. Jus wondering wot u guys think of them?

What are there performance lik compared to R32 etc etc

Edited by Adz2332

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, itd be a JZA80.

first things first, theyre pretty heavy mofo's, so they can be a bit boaty (2 of 3 that ive driven have had stock suspension, shocking stuff, the other had tein coilovers, massive improvement...)

they dont like to rev like the GTR's, but its much easier to make huge amounts of power from them.

theyre very comfortable on longer trips, takes a bit of effort to get in and out of, you sit in them rather then on them, if you get my meaning.

theyre thirsty, and theyre not the easiest things to drive in the wet, but all round, theyre great cars, and i doubt youll regret buying one.

The 2JZ engine was in the 1993 - onwards (the 96/97 + models came with VVTI i believe). It can be either NA or twin turbo. The main difference is the power and the weight (if you are comparing to the R32). r32 gtst has 160 kws and 290nm torque? , where as the JZA80 twin turbo has 206 and 430nm torque. But the supra weighs a lot more than the gtst. 0-100 in the supra is said to be about 5.6, where as the gtst is in the low to mid 6's.

Both engines are durable - strong internals, revvy. Supra twin turbo in manual comes with an extra gear. But down sides, supra has no space at hte back. The r32 i think has more space in the back.

EXCELLENT GUYS. Does anyone kno wot the model letters mean lik supra SZ or RZ?

if the car youre getting is an RZ or an SZ its a'93-'02 (JZA80). anything before that (to '86) is the JZA70.

afaik, RZ denotes the turbo/twin turbo models, and SZ is the non turbo.

Edited by scandyflick

if the car youre getting is an RZ or an SZ its a 93 onwards.

afaik, RZ denotes the turbo/twin turbo models, and SZ is the non turbo.

So i should be looking for a RZ 2JZ engined Supra??

I have had a look at 3 cars so far, would these figures i have be about right for each car?

1993 Supra 13.1 1/4mile 320hp standered

1989 GTR 13.0 1/4mile 280hp standered

2000 WRX 14.4 1/4mile 227hp standered

I have had a look at 3 cars so far, would these figures i have be about right for each car?

1993 Supra 13.1 1/4mile 320hp standered

1989 GTR 13.0 1/4mile 280hp standered

2000 WRX 14.4 1/4mile 227hp standered

*Standard...

forget the rex. glass gearboxes arent cool.

the supra has the advantage of being newer, and being able to make power easier than the GTR.

the GTR afaik is lighter, has the advantage of AWD, and is just plain cool. :)

Yup, look for a JZA80 RZ with the 6 speed manny.

Edited by scandyflick

jap spec RZ is only 280hp - but this is disputed (similar to the gtr). US and british spec RZ is at 320hp

Better to go with the RZ - should you wish to do mods to it. SZ is ok - but when it comes to mods, you are restricted imo - and installing a turbo is not as easy as it sounds (or so i hear)

jap spec RZ is only 280hp - but this is disputed (similar to the gtr). US and british spec RZ is at 320hp

not to mention they got steel wheels on the turbos... *sigh*

Edited by scandyflick

Also to mention that PARTS as in modifying parts are alot more expensive, as there isn't as big of a damand for them as there is Nissan parts!

I thought of getting a Supra before i bought my 33! I am thankful for getting the 33!

Edited by Deluxe

Also to mention that PARTS as in modifying parts are alot more expensive, as there isn't as big of a damand for them as there is Nissan parts!

but the flip side to that is that you dont need to open up the engine when you start chasing big horsepower like youd have to with a nissan engine.

but the flip side to that is that you dont need to open up the engine when you start chasing big horsepower like youd have to with a nissan engine.

But i hear nissan GTRs r hell exspensive to fix! Supras r much cheaper for every day parts? this true

try to get your hands on the special issue (i forget what number it was, but it had a pic of a blue s15 in the front) of speed magazine that gave mods for supras - that will show you roughly howmuch u can spend on mods depending on the different stages.... plus it had comparisions of the rz, gtt, s15 and rx7 as well....

just saw this while searchign for the issue of speed that had supras in it:

1291_050228_xl.jpg

But i hear nissan GTRs r hell exspensive to fix! Supras r much cheaper for every day parts? this true

any car is expensive to fix where parts are concerned - best to get one where parts are plentiful

try to get your hands on the special issue (i forget what number it was, but it had a pic of a blue s15 in the front) of speed magazine that gave mods for supras - that will show you roughly howmuch u can spend on mods depending on the different stages.... plus it had comparisions of the rz, gtt, s15 and rx7 as well....

just saw this while searchign for the issue of speed that had supras in it:

1291_050228_xl.jpg

In the comparisions of the rz, gtt, s15 and rx7 which did they believe to come out on top?

Is it a new mag will it still be instores?