SAU Community

R33 Boot Stuck Shut

shoebox

The boot on my R33 is jammed shut. The boot release lever at the side of the driver's seat doesn't have the normal pressure when i pull it, and although i hear a faint sound when i press the boot release button on my alarm system, the boot doesn't unlock.

I've tried pulling up the boot with the lever up but it doesn't work.. i suspect it's the locking mechanism or boot which is jammed or something.. and it probably happened a few days ago when my friend slammed the boot shut =_=

It's kinda hard to describe, but the left hand side of the boot is slightly open, but the right hand side of the boot is closed (I an tell by looking at the gap between the body and the boot), so the boot is actually closed at a slight angle.

The lock on the boot is broken too, so I can't use the key to open it.

Is there any way which I can get it to open again? I've thought of removing the back seats to access the lock from the inside, but how do I do that, and will it help?

Nah... unless you can reach through the speaker holes, you can't get through to the boot like that.

It shouldn't half open unless something is jamming the arms that the boot swivels on. There is only one latch that holds it shut.

As for the loose handle, it's possible that the wire has come loose... If you have a look under the carpet, you should see how to adjust it. (or pull it with a pair of pliers until the boot opens)

Carpet... carefully pry one side of the skyline door-sill up, then move your hands across, and unclip the next etc etc. From there, you can unhook the side of the carpet and have a better look at the mechanism.

I've heard of people drilling the lock out and replacing it when they were stuffed. I guess you really don't want to do that, so check the cable tension first. =-]

Worst comes to worst, if you need to get into the boot to fix the lock, you can remove the back seat, then remoev the boot inspection panel. There is a lot of stuff in the way, but that can be unbolted from the cabin and moved.

you might not be able to crawl through the hole, but a small kid can.

The hole is sharp though.

Sounds like something is jammed on one side of the boot, causing excessive pressure on the lock, which can prevent the release mechanism from releasing.

Gently apply downward pressure on the lifted side, then press the boot release button on your remote and try to lift your hand quickly. Timing is the key. You can also get someone to hold the lever up, while you push down on the boot and then release it (boot lid).

Sounds like something is jammed on one side of the boot, causing excessive pressure on the lock, which can prevent the release mechanism from releasing.

Gently apply downward pressure on the lifted side, then press the boot release button on your remote and try to lift your hand quickly. Timing is the key. You can also get someone to hold the lever up, while you push down on the boot and then release it (boot lid).

Doesn't work :stupid:

I got someone to hold the lever up while i pressed down on the lifted side.. the car went down but the boot didn't, and it's still stuck.

Maybe i should get a locksmith to open it...

You haven't mentioned anywhere that you've tried the key? Unless I missed that somewhere.

If the wire is loose, and the lock won't open because of it, then the key will over-ride that anyway.

You haven't mentioned anywhere that you've tried the key? Unless I missed that somewhere.

If the wire is loose, and the lock won't open because of it, then the key will over-ride that anyway.

Yea, you missed it ^_^

The key doesn't fit the lock, so i can't use it.

Doesn't work :P

I got someone to hold the lever up while i pressed down on the lifted side.. the car went down but the boot didn't, and it's still stuck.

Maybe i should get a locksmith to open it...

Did you get it?

Did you try the boot release button on your remote while your pushing on the boot lid like Al said?

I agree with Al about pressure on the latching mechanism.

Maybe if you dress up an act just like the Fonz and just give the boot a hit it'll open..... hahahah sorry, jokes man :D

edit: spelling

Edited by KeyMakeR33

Worst comes to worst, if you need to get into the boot to fix the lock, you can remove the back seat, then remoev the boot inspection panel. There is a lot of stuff in the way, but that can be unbolted from the cabin and moved.

you might not be able to crawl through the hole, but a small kid can.

The hole is sharp though.

thats the easiest way to do it, to remove the rear seat takes 4-5 mins max, then there is a dozen or so 10mm bolts and your into the boot , on once in manually open the boot from the inside , then once u have it open diagnose the issue.

if there is no pressure on the lever in the cabin, it may also be snapped the cable

There is a 'valet' switch that disables the remote release. It's possible that something in the boot has accidentally knocked it to the 'valet' position.

If your key lock is broken, you may need to get a locksmith (as mentioned previously) to break in for you.

Any reason why one side of the boot was higher than the other?

No idea. That side is still like 1/3 a cm higher than the other.. but it still opens, so i'm not really concerned about it. It doesn't look like rain will go in too, so it's okay.

I thought something was stuck too, until today.

I'd guess that the rubber stoppers are taller on one side than the other? The bonnet rubbers are adjustable by winding them in and out, but I didn't think the boot ones were?

Well, if the cable was loose, than my manual method should have worked! (pulling up the side of the carpet, disconnecting the cable, then pulling on it by hand... or ajusting the cable tension)

if there is something that could possibly be putting pressure on the boot, i'd go for a quick lap around the block doing some hard stopping and swerving to see if that helps.

Dude! That's a sweet idea! I'm going to try this right now! (I don't have any issues with my boot though?) =-]

Still, that's a great idea for anyone who got something stuck under the boot-arm. I used to get PC's stuck under mine, and you can't shift them over with a coat-hanger!

• 2 weeks later...

25th December 2006 @ 14.30

Whilst cleanin the boot out i manage to play with a metal plate inside the boot lid. (not knowing it was the valet switch)

19.30 Whilst travelling down Pitt St in Sydney I managed to get a samell metal fragment in my tyre. (resulting in a flat tyre)

19.31 I realised the boot was not releasing from the boot leaver inside the cabin. No tension at all behind the leaver. Just free air when u pull it up.

19.32 I decided to try the boor lock. It didnt work. The lock is broken. It keeps on making a ticking sound but nothing happens.

19.32: 15 ...I start to swear.

19.34 I try other methods...no good. So I baby it all the way back to Liverpool.

21:00 got home in one piece.

26/12/2006 @01:46 I read this thread and I will try the boot cable under the carpet 1st. So how I go tomorrow to get to the spare.

Why is that Valwt switched linked to the leaver....or is that the safety feature of it or am I totally worng and it is only coincidence???