SAU Community

Rb20det Coolant Type

Guest hr324door

Guest hr324door

hey

i would like to flush my radiator out, but am unsure of what a good coolant to use, everything is stock at the moment.

anyone got any suggestions.

also add half a bottle of the royle purple stuff for ur raidator mix it in with ur coolent, this stuff is amasing, i have an after market temp gauge an b4 i put the royal purple stuff in was siting at 100 degrees an after it was 85 degrees. makes a big difference.

I don't see how an additive can make such a dramatic decrease in coolant temperature. Do not use the red coolant because green coolant was originally used from factory. Use nissan coolant and you can't go wrong. Also make sure you flush your coolant out properly and not just by dumping all the coolant out through the bottom of the radiator. Take off one of your heater hoses near the top of the firewall and stick a hose down it until fresh water starts coming out, then fill it up with coolant through the heater hose again. Then bleed it properly with the heater turned on, and bleed bolt off to get rid of any air in the system.

Don't use "red" OAT type coolants in an older car which never came with it factory fill in the first place.

Green coolants that would work well are the Nissan OEM, Nulon Long Life, Castrol Radicool or Tectaloy 90 Plus and you cant go wrong.

Btw that Purple Ice/Water Wetter stuff works optimally with straight water and its effects are very much diminished when mixed with glycol coolants.

Up until recently I thought the special-ness of the Nissan coolant came from the 10mg/kg dentatonium benzoate, like Castrol. Until I found this is only a bittering agent used to prevent people ingesting antifreeze. By law this chemical has to be present in certain countries in any anti freeze sold, though not in Australia.

You need to achieve the Nissan Glycol levels reccomended at any rate, going el-cheapo can mean issues with concentrations. The glycol levels drop when exposed to sunlight which is why I buy Castrol 350 concentrate, to ensure the levels haven't dropped while sitting around in some freight yard for a week.