SAU Community

Whos Going To Or Been To Winton Fun Day?

femno

Hey all,

Planning to go to the Winton fun day this coming Sunday...im very keen on getting into the track scene and doing what my car was purposely built for! :( im a newbie to this so apart from what is stated in the Fun day thread what do you usually take?

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...howtopic=149944

Wanting to hear how it has gone for others who have been before and what other things to take eg some tools, how much petrol etc etc things like that...

Im trying to think of what can possibly go wrong to leave me stranded 3 hours from home.... ;)

Mat.

Edited by femno

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been to the last few Fun Days.....

I found the day to be good but they let a lot of cars on the track so you always need to be aware of the other cars...also there is always a few with something to prove who drive like idiots on the track.

Heres a link details whats required etc....

http://www.wintonmotorraceway.com.au/home/...3&Itemid=25

make sure nothing is loose in the boot or inside the cabin and ENJOY the Day

Bring some tools Mat, be aware that you can only 2 x 20 ltr jerry cans of fuel due to OHS stuff. It is normally a hard day on brakes and tyres, but if you don't drive like a maniac you should be fine.

As slayer says it is a great day, but we dooget a few dicks on the track, I try to get them off as soon as I can.

BTW, I am the coordinator of the day on behalf of Winton.

Take down this number too.

0419 877 437

That's everyone's favorite tow trucks number (Jack aka JagR33 aka The Stig)

He LOVES coming to Winton to pick people up.

I'm a 50/50 chance of coming up at this stage too.

Great info guys thanks heaps, im hoping that this will also help others who havent been before and who are going for the first time.

With the jerry cans though, when you say for OHS, what if the car is on a trailer and you are putting cans on the trailer? i would have thought it was a bit risky putting them in the boot or back seat??

Would you go through any more than 2 x 20 if you started on a full tank or thereabouts?

been thinking/reading about this...

after being at Calder last night I'm a little unsure if I want to be on the track at the moment. At lot of people seem to be saything that on the fun days (not competition) if you don't push your limits it should be fine...

how has people found these days previously? Any crashes with all those cars on the track?

Mat,

You will have a ball.

Firstly, I wouldn't take jerry can with you, there is a Bp that sells ultimate about 10 mins south of there. Forget the towns name.

Secondly, I would take some oil, coolant, screw drivers, a socket set and possibly some pipe clamps. (pipe clamps from experience)

Thirdly, if you can I would tow your car there. For the sake of hiring a car trailer for $50 - $100 for 24 hours it's much cheaper than a tow back to Melbourne! If I was going to Sandown or Calder I would just drive but Winton. Your call but, from my position once bitten, twice shy.

I went up there in October last year, let me say f**king awesome day out!

Don't mean to scare or put doubt in your mind but heres what happend when I went.

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...1&hl=winton

I may even come back up there my self.

Go crazy or be conservative, either way you will love it and be hanging for the next one!

Cheers.

Not suggesting that you will have the same run of luck as me, but there are 101 differant problems you could encouter.

- If anyone is going and wants a co-pilot for the day for the trip up and back, let me know I'd be interested in comming up. Currently getting some work down and would prefer not to drive there. If so then just PM me.

Man that's full on! Those rims suck!

I'm likely to be driving there to have a bash as I'm already up that end of the state riding. Come and join me Rylan and give those new recaro's a work out. I'll be on street tyres so I won't be going to hard and don't worry about crashing. Just drive within the limits.

Who else is in?

Yeah i had read about your little incident....ive got stocky nissan wheels so should be right!....hopefully!

Thanks again for all the info, has helped me greatly, good to know theres a BP 10min down the road.

Will be taking few tools etc etc as suggested.

Yeah who else is in?! Getting more and more pumped as the week progresses!

:P

i went to the last fun day. for any body that was there i was in the white r31 with the BIG spoiler.

i found it grate cause your notforcedto push your self, so you can go as hard as you fell you can with no pressure of lossing.

defently take tools. if you can get say a basic set of 3/8 sockets and spanners would be a good start.i recermend repco as thier reserbly priced and thier warrentyis good.

i use 1.5 takes of fuel 1 tanks to get there and back and .5 tanks for raceing about 1.5h worth.

do take extra brake fluid and get some good (high temp) pads as your street pads wont last more then a cupple of laps.

and dont buy the fuel from the track as its exspencive.

just go and have fun

good to hear everyones experiences - will be taking mine at the end of hte year after i do a few mods - keep the posting your experiences :D

Edited by emsta2003

It would be unlikey to go through more than that. Winton have a fuel station anyway.

Yeah heard bout the fuel station...not the best things though haha ...$$$$$, ill just come prepared with jerry cans and that should be enough.

Keep the info coming! More experiences and recommendations plz!

Only 4 days to go!

Whos in!!?