SAU Community

Upgrading brakes and clutch 4 R33 GTST

Hi Guys

I was just wondering if some or most of you guys who have R33 GTST have upgraded your clutch and brakes from the stock ones. Have most of you upgraded cos you have greatly increased boost/power and it is a requirement? Have you found them to be a great investment?

Have you guys also upgraded your suspension too? Is it a good upgrade to consider or does the stock suspension work good enuff?

Also what have you changed these parts to?

Thanx

Kev

I suppose it depends on what you want to do with a car.

Oh... and i drive an R32, and on the street i drive like Morgan Freeman in Driving Miss Daisy.

Suspension.

I was happy with King Springs, little lower for mainly aesthetics, for the street. Drove nice, a little less roll, but no susp setup will allow you to fly around corners on Syd roads, (nor should you really want to) bumps/potholes/children. With me behind the wheel i think i would have struggled to find the limits of the chassis with this setup on the road.

But when i first started venturing onto the track i found the car wasnt that impressive so made sensible mods to improve handling whilst still preserving my sanity on the street. Bilsteins, sway bars, strut braces, bushes, alignment

Clutch

My thing was starting to show duress after numerous trips to the track. So before it caused possible gearbox damage i upgraded to a 6 puck sprung centre clutch with lightened flywheel.

For the street though my stock clutch was holding up fine remembering i only have IC/exhaust/filter/boost.

Brakes

I would like to believe that you would never approach the limits of the Nissan brakes on the street, (if serviced and functionining to their potential) As they held up extremely well on the track. You would have to show some mercy to make sure they lasted 20 minutes of abuse, but i cant see such a level of performance ever being required on the street.

That said when i cooked some pads one day at the track i did some damage to rotors as well, so seemed like the time to upgrade. Having rebuilt calipers/master cylinder/booster and running braided lines i was advised that larger rotors is all that i needed. So now have 330 x32mm rotors and the car stops like a champion for full 20 minute session (remember i only have about 150rwkws at best) Dont have to show them any mercy at all.

I have noticed that the brakes do work harder when running good rubber on the track vs crappy road rubber, which i suppose makes sense. With say another 40-70+kws and running soft rubber i have been advised that better calipers and floating discs would be ideal.

So me thinks for the road, provided the OE gear is in good nick, then springs and clutch (say around $1000) is all that you would need. Brakes some good pads and fluid works wonders.

But if you have the coin...

Thanks for the opinions roy.

I probably wouldn't venture on the track anyways, so I guess some of the performance improvements you experienced would not be felt on normal roads.

U reckon there is any need for strut braces on the road? (or do they just look cool in the engine bay) :D

Brake upgrade: The DA slotted rotors and EBC greens front and rear have dramatically improved the braking performance. Shorter stops, less fade. Pads will squeek at low speeds but stop after a couple of hard stops as dust is removed.

Initial bite tends to cause front lock up when emergency stops, not a problem for me as I have ABS, but can be avoided by applying brake pressure lighter and ramping up as weight tranfers to front (just like a motorcycle).

• 1 year later...

Hi

Just read that you upgraded the rotors to a larger size on your r32.

I was wondering if you could tell me where you got these from, as I have a r33 gts and wanted to fit larger rotors without the expense of upgrading the calipers.

Thanks

Richard