SAU Community

Dodgy Things You Have Done To Your Cars

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I snapped a valve spring in a 1982 Mazda 626 once and the resulting bits of metal chewed the head up pretty good.

Instead of doing much about it I just replaced the valve spring with a new one without removing the head for $5 and drove the car for ages. Still went like a beauty!

in my first car.JEMINI.i ran an air duct directly to the airbox nose.thought it would help with the unmistakable lack of horsepowah..how wrong was i :rofl:.

In the car now i have ran wires into the back floor where the head unit resides untill i get another head unit that actually plays cd's.

Berfore selling my last car i buffed out a hot spot left by a freshly cooked pizza in the box,after resting it on the bonnet for 2 mins.the clear was pale white and the car red.eeek.they got the car for a bargain anyway.so :rofl:

Not me:I seen a flatbed with 4 crushed cars and the top one was leaning dangerously towards falling off.;)

- Ziptied my FMIC on

- One of my headlights wasnt working so I rewired it on to my other one so it works now.. haha..

- Battery terminals didn't fit the new battery So I got to pairs of pliers and stretched them.. they have some cracks in them..

Haha

another one is my g/f's old telstar the passenger seat mount broke hence i put a brick underneath it and a steering lock wedged from the back seat to keep the seat upright!

club lock eh? that would've beat the shit out of my vacuum cleaner stability wise. all the good ideas come when its too late :rofl:

that gemini seen 3 engines and 1 extra tranmission.in the end i gave up all hope on it.It had the pollution gear taken off of it.again looking for power,but i couldnt plug the holes that were left after doing this kw king mod..so i was left with a car sounding like a friken tractor for a day.in the end i bough the ollution gear from a wreck and reinstalled it.due to me trashing the other one...

in my swift i cut the rear springs.untill it got so annoying i bought proper ones.cut the shifter an inch.About the only thing i ever made actually worthy of being a mod on that car was a cold air induction kit.including me making a heat sheild out of clear perspex.

after that car i bought the line.

i just remembered my old work car (i didn't own it, it was at my last job). it was a 1954 morris panel van. bright yellow with "toyworld" painted up the side.

one day before my time working there 1 of the guys was driving up the road and hit a bump and the steering wheel and bar it connects to came out in his hands. so the boss put a hose clamp on it so wouldn't come off. it was still running drum brakes all round so if the car in front was close enough to see, you were too close. and it had a leaking master cylinder so at traffic lights on a slight hill you had to wedge your knee under the steering wheel to help apply as much brake pressure as possible to stop from rolling. sometimes the first pump of the brakes would go to the floor without slowing you down at all. one time it had a kinked brake line on the front right, so everytime you hit the brakes it pulled violently to the left. and the boss didn't do much about it. he could've got the disc brakes off the front of a 120Y installed for about $1000, but instead he spent $900 getting the old stuff patched up every 6 months (this happened for a few years while i worked there). one day another guy was driving it when the front axle snapped (or something like that, i didn't work there at the time) and it lost 1 of the front wheels (wheel, hub, brakes, etc) but the boss got it fixed instead of just buying another car.

anyway, back to the topic of dodgy stuff. one day the handle for the rear door snapped off. it was a handle that turned like an old house door handle (the long ones, not the round ones) so i got a bike axle, filed it square at 1 end to fit in the hole, then got a cheap 17mm ring/open end spanner from solly's (or somewhere like that) and using 3 17mm nuts and 2 big washers i put the ring end of the spanner on the middle nut and locked the other ones up against it to stop it moving, and used a heap of other nuts and washers to get the spacing right, and i didn't cut the open end off. 5 years later it is still on there, and no one has cut the open end off. so anyone who parks behind it can see it's a spanner.

it wasn't to bad to drive. except that they tyres were re-treads, and it would walk all over the road, and the brakes were crap, and it was slow as hell, but it was good fun to thrash. it was running a datsun 1200 motor and gearbox, which would scream its way up to 6500rpm before your conscience made you change gears. it was kind of like driving a race car because you could easily change gears both up and down without the clutch, and i would start to pump the brakes with my left foot before i got to a corner. and parts are dirt cheap for it. a clutch for a datsun 1200 is about $95.

The Steering arm on the missus's Morris Minor broke going home late one night - basically snapped the bolt that connected the wheel to the arm. Thankfully there was a coathanger that was used to 'tie' the two bits together till we got home. Steering response was not the greatest :happy:

used a drill to cut out a hole to put the cooler piping through, this left sharp edges so i wraped an old sock around the pipe so it wouldnt rub on the sharp metal.

i used an angle grinder, cut a square hole, and left the sharp edges with no covering.

i used an angle grinder, cut a square hole, and left the sharp edges with no covering.

Who hasn't? I thought that was standard practice :happy:

I did that to mine on the weekend, going to goto clark rubber to get a square sheet of rubber that I can cut the 3 inch circle out of and slide into the square hole like a grommet.

my mate made a front bar for his vn using chicken wire and fibreglass. didn't look that bad. didn't look that good either, but there were uglier ones made by professionals.

a few mates want to make a corolla (old school 1970's one) sound tuffer one night. and they didn't have a hacksaw so they just punched holes in the muffler with a screwdriver. the same car was going to be painted so they rubbed it back to bare metal. then they couldn't be bothered doing any more so they left it a few days. then they gave it a quick sand to get rid of the surface rust and gave it 1 coat of undercoat. he drove round like that for about 6 months before the car was pretty much covered in surface rust.

funniest thing i've heard of happening was a mate had a sunbird (torana) and he thrashed the hell out of it. went out doing skids, then the next night he was going round a round about when his diff broke and turned itself into a locked diff, and the because it chirped the wheels when it did it, and there happened to be a cop behind him he got booked.

I once had a celica that i bought off a dude that had it stolen and returned 2 years earlier. it sat in the front yard for 2 years with no windscreens and was full of mud and bugs.

i had a motor installed at a wrecker and he put "good 2nd hand oil" in it. I had to have the new windscreens sickaflexed on because i was too cheap to buy new seals. middle muffler was stuffed so i had a 2nd hand cat welded in there insted.

I didnt have the locknuts for the wheels so i bashed the them off with a socket and had some retreads put on the rear with BF goodrich written on them.

The carbie died so i went to a holden wrecker and got a webber off a gemini and some sort of adapter plate and bolted it on and attached the throttle cable with about 50 turns of fine copper wire. then didn't even tune it. I drove it like that the whole time i had it.

one of the seat mounts was busted and it would not pass rego so i god kneed it and hid the crack with it and painted over it. I ripped out the dash because it had cracks and left the bare metal backing in there insted of replacing it.

The car was made of bog, mud dents and cut springs with fibreglass flairs but i loved it...

it sounded like an animal and went hard it was the best fun i have ever had in a car.

Every oil change on the skyline, i dump the oil, and then that oil gets used for an oil change on my daily driver :laugh:

Seems dodgy and cheap, but it's probably not too bad a thing. The oil after 3-4000 ks is probably still better than the cheap shitty $20-30 oil that I would have otherwise used.

This is probably the dogiest thing that's been said so far.

My mate used to have this paddock basher, and we snapped the handbrake cable. Cable was joined with a little bit of cable from a hardware store - that's pretty dodgy.

paddock basher was smashed in at the front after a little bush bashing mishap. Car wouldn't drive because the guard was squashed onto the tyre. Banged it out with a hammer and crowbar.

ran the basher on diesel.

skyline - never done a dodgy thing. it's my baby. everything is done properly.

Edited by MANWHORE

went in the garage 1 day where my dad keeps his stuff for work and found 3 bags full of black and white cable ties.

so i got me bag, popped the bonnet/boot on my old car (gt4 celica) and cable tied whatever that was even slightly moving.

took off the front bar once, lost the bolts in the process. few cable ties later and front bar never looked/fit better :laugh:

etc

etc

my mate had an old kingswood and the seat broke so he drove around sitting on a milk crate

that's pretty hard to believe. when I was retrimming my seats, I had to reverse the car out of the garage and drive it back in sitting on a crate. It was so hard. I had to drive backwards and forwards like 10 times.