SAU Community

Bonnet Struts

MANWHORE

Mods: the reason this is in the fabrication thread, is because it's not strictly a wtb. I'm hoping that we can develop this into a tutorial sort of thing for how they are fabricated. People are always popping up threads about where to buy these, and people always answer go down to your wreckers and pick up a set for $20. That's not much help when mods need to be made (obviously since they dont' suit your car). Also, there are about a million different cars down at the wreckers, so which car?

I'm really hoping that one of you fab guys could help me with something. I've been looking to get bonnet struts for my car (r33 gtst). I've had a look at the tein ones on nengun - $200.

Those are a royal ripoff. Also, they are probably not gassed enough to be able to lift up the gtst bonnet, so i might have to pay to get it regassed.

Basically, I'm hoping that one of you could make something for me that bolts onto the bonnet bracket, and that bolt hole in the guard, without drilling any holes. If you have an r33, that would make it easier. If you don't have an r33, i'm sure someone would be willing to lend you their car to just measure etc.

A good starting point that I thought is to use monroe shocks from auto shops. Theyr'e only aobut $50 new each, and they come in a variety of lengths, strengths and with different connectors on the ends. Alternatively, hitting up the wreckers could work too as long as they're in good condition, because as an example, pick and pay in sydney charge $10 each.

I'll hit up some pictures for ideas in a sec.

If you manage to make one that works, i'm sure people would be up for a group buy, because these are pretty handy. I don't like the bonnet rod, because sometimes I get worried i'll knock it and drop the bonnet.

My number's 0403 211 482.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by MANWHORE

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guys, if you check out the pictures that I have attached down the bottom, I know they aren't strictly skylines there, but the tein one for the skyline is very similar.

They utilise the bolt halfway down the guard. They put a ball there, and clip the strut onto the ball.

For the bonnet bracket they just put a ball next to the edge of the bracket, and clip the strut onto it.

post-10214-1175912659.jpg post-10214-1175912670.jpg post-10214-1175912675.jpg post-10214-1175912680.jpg

post-10214-1175912685.jpg

Edited by MANWHORE

Just go to a wrecker and get a pair of a late model camry or some thing like that, they are fairly universal, you will pretty much have to drill a hole somewhere to do it though, and should only cost $10. Just make sure you get on off a bonnet not a hatch, as they are heaps heavier, and you could bend your bonnet trying to close it.

Edited by Adriano

I definitely am not looking at drilling holes. Drilling a hole is:

1. messy.

2. not strong - the metal is thin, and it will be hard to reinforce it.

3. there isn't enough space.

That's the reason I posted up the pics to show how the bolt in kit works. All it needs is a tiny bit of fab for making a bracket and that's it!

good idea mate... i have had a bit of a go doing this!! went to the crappers and got a sey short length struts... And yeah drilling a hole in the side portion of the hood doent work it WILL NOT hold the force of the struts!!

The way its set up on the WRX looks good, tho would it end up being too big and when the hood goes to fully close it looks like it will hit just sitting in the spot its in!!!

But good work in thinking about this!!! would be a great mod! ill keep my self posted on this topic!

kezza

Hey Kez

Tein actually sell 32,33,34 gtr kits. They just don't sell the ones for gtst. The tein kits are 200 delivered via nengun. they would work on our cars, but it'd need to be gassed stronger.

Tthe gtr ones are the exact design of the one on the wrx, so it would work. you just need to make sure that the spacer on the end of the strut is the right length

Top secret actually sell r33 gtst ones. Theyr'e $400 though. f**k that.

that guardbolt hole is strong, because it's got a nut welded on the other side.

Also, the bonnet bracket is strong. we'd just need to make a little bracket to go to the side of the bonet bracket with a little ball on it. It'd need to come forward a bit on the bracket, because the bracket has that edge on it - you know what i mean.

ah yeah man i know what ya saying!!!

hahaha its funny how places can make simple things but then charge the earth for them cause they are for an import!

so the only hard part is going to be getting a bracket fabbed up and then just marking the strut length and making sure its lined up and will have enough travel!

I dont know why they didnt use this idea when making the cars... damm even the R33 has the small ones for the boot!!! my GFs magna even has them!! so much better than the old school hold up and place the stupid bar in!!! makes them look older than what they even are!!! hahahaha all the sweet electrical gear they use in them from japan, like 10 years advanced from the australian cars and they didnt use hat simple part!!

hey man, MY car is finished getting painted!!!! check it out when ya get a chance! :P

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...howtopic=163704

kezza

can you do it? please please please. lol.

It'll be good for you too, so you can get rid of that stupid bonnet rod. I totally agree with what you said. even cefiros had them. It would have costed nissan like $5 more. Bloody povos causing us hassles now.

the skyline rods are really bad, because they don't hook in that well. I get so worried i'm gonna drop the bonnet when i wiggle the car when moving heavy parts etc.

Edited by MANWHORE

im willing to give this ago but need to find some shocks to use.

if your looking at $100 just in new struts, then the work involved in making them seems like the $200 from tein isnt really that bad.

i'll pop into a local wreckers and have a look around .. then i'll have a play

Awesome matey. I know the new struts from monroe are exxy, but when i was at the wreckers - pick and payless in black town, they charge $15-20 for a set of struts. There are plenty of newish cars there, with struts in good nic (not old busted struts from a shitter).

If I knew how to weld, it would be easy as. Simple bracket made from a flat piece of metal trimmed to size, weld a ball onto it, bolt it to bonnet bracket. screw second ball into guard bolt hole, bobs your uncle :pwned:

Haha, they charge you $2 man. lol. it's well worth the entry fee, coz it's fun doing things to other cars that you wouldn't do to your own :( (joking)

The $2 is for a whole day. So you can go in, get measurements, take the part out to your car, measure it, take it back in, get one from antoher car, etc etc etc.

evesdropping - oh, you mean the good old - little things fell into the toolbox.

Ok went a visited a few places today to get an idea of how this can be done. The struts aren't a problem, I can get them in the right size and also get them gassed to different pressures for different weight bonnets, ie GTR and GTST models etc. and whatever fittings are required also.

The problem is working out a way to connect them without drilling or retapping anything. As far as I have been able to find the little balls that they attach to only come in one screw in size which is too big to go into the hole from one of the guard bolts. Now the easiest way for me to get around this is to drill and retap the hole but that obviously not as easy for some people. Re-threading the bolts might be an option but there hardened steel so might not work too well will give it a go and see anyway.

As for the other end a bracket will need to be made up that bolts onto one of the hinge bolts, the ball is gonna need to be welded on due to clearance issues and making this bracket strong enough also could be an issue as due to this design alot of force is exerted on that area.

Will let you know how I go should have a proto-type made up next week :)

omuru - spot on the money. That's just as i had shown in the pics above. Good thing that you've got an r33, so I might be able to pursuade you to make another set :)

In relation to bracket strength - have a look at the tein ones - theyr'e pretty thin - looks like 1.5-2mm steel. Yeah, basically, imo, all you'd need to do is cut a flat sheet out to the right shape to bolt onto the bracket without fouling, then weld the ball to the side - once again, without it fouling. If you have a look at monroe ones, or ones from other cars, the brackets are always really thin. strength dodesn't really seem to be too much of an issue.

You're right about needing a ball with the right thread (some cars have the right thread, I checked this at the wreckers - check it out, any car, even tail struts. I just took a spanner around to heaps of cars and checked them - I noticed 2 sizes - big and small.

See, like if we can find which car to take struts from, then it'll be easy - just cutting a bracket and welding a ball on it.

We might actually be suprised and find one that fits wihtout mods. e.g. might have the right ball thread, might be the right length and gas. or it might have a bracket on it that just needs to be trimmed or something.

I'd prefer not to gas, because those gassing guys are pricks. There are 3 main ones in sydney and they charge 80-100 for 10 seconds worth of time.

PS: omaru - one more thing that i thought of - strut clearance.

the gap to the side of the bonnet is quite small. I did test fit by just putting some struts in there and they do fit. but, as i'm sure you're aware, you just need to get the thin ones, not the fat ones (like a subaru liberty wagon rear, or soarer front).

something like a falcon au front, or n15 pulsar rear fits.

also, the bracket will need to position it so it doesn't foul in either direction