SAU Community

What Car To Purchase?

G'day all,

The time has come to purchase a new vehicle to be my daily driver! After a year and half of owning my 89' 32gtst i've decided to upgrade as shes getting a bit old in the tooth and I also want a car with a bit more power! I should start by saying i've held my license for five years now.

Ill be spending around 30K and am having a bit of trouble working out what car i should get. I want to stick with performance cars and prefer them to have forced induction and six cylinders! :)

...i've posted a quick rundown of MY pros and cons of each.

32GTR - could get a pretty good example for around 25k upwards with some cash to spare, also look really tough but got the same problem with my car now - ie getting old, not to mention ive been sitting in a 32 for awhile now

33GTR - seen some top quality near stock ones for round 30k (beer barons?) but not a massive fan of the shape

34GTT - great because they are relatively new, also look tough as, may not be as quick as the GTR's...

S15 - they look ok with some larger rims and some nice paint, its not a skyline though and has an SR (this good or bad :P)

94' BMW M3 - i just recently thought about these after seeing one on the road, will get no trouble from police, looks pretty good and is reasonably quick from what ive heard, but - not of japanese origin... :P

BTW I'm quite happy to put up driving a car that softies other people may think is too stiff and race-car like for everyday driving - my 32 at the moment has rockhard kei office coilovers!

So! Any recommendations.....other cars i haven't thought of? Any cars i should definitely not buy?

Before anyone starts jumping up and down, I am aware of the servicing costs of these cars (GTR's in particular) and have the funds to do them regularly and properly.

I'm sure other people have looked at these cars in comparison before (with the exception maybe, of the M3) so id love to hear anyone who's gone through this before and what they ended up buying!

Cheers,

Matt

Edited by spin_psycle

after reading that, I WOULDNT recommend.....

1. A R33 GTR, because you dont like the shape of an R33

2. A S15, because, well, you said it, its not a Skyline!

3. a M3, because, its not Japanese, difficult and expensive to modify, followed closely by a frowning face.....

So i WOULD recommend......

1. A R32 GTR. They represent EXCELLENT value in the market, especially with so many to choose from

2. A R34 GT-t. Late model comforts, good daily driver, cheap to modify, easy to find in stock, un-thrashed and original condition.

My 2c.....

Edited by _8OO5TED_

R32GTR all the way i recon, gonna get one for my next car. sure it is old, but that makes it a legend... right? hehe. look so tough how low and wide it is, and performance is beautiful. id stick ith an r32 gtr. :)

I'd avoid the E36 M3 if its a model older than 1997, the 3L 5-speed versions are no way near as good as the updated 3.2L 6-speed ones. For a 1994 car its going to be abit expensive when it comes to fixing/replacing/servicing things.

Like the above said, I wouldn't choose the R33 because you've already stated you don't like the looks. So that leaves the R32, R34 or S15. IMO;

- if you want a car thats more performance oriented and don't mind a few squeaks and rattles or you don't have to worry about driving around a family then the GTR would be the good choice

- if you're after pure comfort and are happy with mild power then the GTT is a perfect car. Its a beautiful cruiser, very smooth, spacious and even though its going to be no where near the GTR in terms of performance its still got enough power to get you in trouble

- if you want the in between from the two above then looks like the S15 is your choice. Relatively new and just as smooth as the GTT, but don't expect too much in terms space, its abit cramped at the back. A few dollars spent on performance mods makes this car fly as its just so light and dynamically brilliant!

My best advice: go test drive a few different examples all the models you've narrowed down and see which you like best. :)

Why not mod your GTST?

Id go GTR or for another alternative what about a Chaser?

I went for a spin in a mates one on the weekend - Manual 1jz single turbo vvti with an exhaust and bit more boost :huh:

Very comfy, nice and smooth power delivery - 1jz have plenty of potential as well

Iv thought for a while I would love a 32 GTR but I cant see the point in getting out of a GTS-T from the same model. Obviously there are positives but when you are spending money on a new car, you want it to look and feel different, otherwise I think you might get over it quickly, especially if you may be over your car now,.

after reading that, I WOULDNT recommend.....

1. A R33 GTR, because you dont like the shape of an R33

2. A S15, because, well, you said it, its not a Skyline!

3. a M3, because, its not Japanese, difficult and expensive to modify, followed closely by a frowning face.....

So i WOULD recommend......

1. A R32 GTR. They represent EXCELLENT value in the market, especially with so many to choose from

2. A R34 GT-t. Late model comforts, good daily driver, cheap to modify, easy to find in stock, un-thrashed and original condition.

My 2c.....

Agreed

Another one...apples, oranges,bananas,cherries and carrots........

I do not know which one is best for me.?...ffs.....depends on your taste.......buy one that you will not get tired of looking at.

And make sure you know how to take care of her...like a female partner...some have habits or just high maintenance.

A 94 M3 is a bucket of shit. You want at least a 97 then you gotta pay through the nose to buy and maintain it. They are poor poor value.

+1

You really don't wanna know about German performance cars unless they have done low kays and have been maintained -meticulously- well. An M3 worth owning would cost heaps more than anything else on ur list.

dont hate the m3's f**ken!

mines a 95 328i convertible with a full m3 conversion (engine/box, running gear, dash, kit and EMS computer which is a hunk of shit because i cant find anyone to tune it!!).

but as for maintenance they are a bit of a bitch but still costs less than running an r32gtr... and the m3 wont need a rebuild after every few track days :)