SAU Community

Why A Naturally-aspirated Skyline?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

everyone is correct...

i've driven turbo cars - they're cool. i love them... still doesn't appeal to me to have one though. if i wanted one, i would have gotten a 32 GTST.

the general point i'm trying to get across here is that, all too often MOST (key word) GTST owners shun the GTS owners, and all too often the GTR owners shun the GTST owners... it's like there is some sort of elitist title associated with the car you drive.

having said that, there are GTSTs pulling off bullshit GTR times around the track, and likewise with GTSs pulling off GTST times around the track. it's a never ending vicious cycle.

certain people buy GTRs and instantly think - f**k yeah... yet when they are passed by a stock NA supra, a GTST, GTS, etc etc... they sit there and make up excuses to keep making more power.

the best mod you can do is improving driver skill... there's no reason to knock on other people because of the car they drive. as to an NA making a better driver - this is not always the case i agree, but i have found that driving a slightly underpowered car has made me look for making up times in different ares; taking the correct entry line, entry speed, exit speed, suspension setup, braking, etc.

this thread asks why people would choose to buy an NA, and the reasons have been presented and justified. we certainly don't want to hear "get a turbo" for every 2nd post as it just leads to a never ending battle of: get a vtec, get a 6 cyl, get a turbo, get a v8, get a v10, get a v12, get a w16, get a top fueler... give it a break seriously.

I'm not having a go at anyone who choses to purchase any car I just think some if not most of these so called justifications are just stupid. People buy cars because.. people want/need cars. Everything else is individual preference and circumstance.

Personally I didn't even consider an NA, in fact unless it was FI I wouldn't have considered anything under 5L. Because that's what I wanted, end of story.

the best mod you can do is improving driver skill... there's no reason to knock on other people because of the car they drive. as to an NA making a better driver - this is not always the case i agree, but i have found that driving a slightly underpowered car has made me look for making up times in different ares; taking the correct entry line, entry speed, exit speed, suspension setup, braking, etc.

Wtf? you should be doing these things regardless of how powerful your car is..

Wtf? you should be doing these things regardless of how powerful your car is..

correct... but most often than not people just make more and more power to compensate. how many people do you see with egos that go: "i want 500hp"

my next R34 will be a non turbo, auto, 4 door, 4 wheel drive car.

I've had a manual GT-t and for the kind of car i need next (not too old, good price, good on fuel, looks nice, can tow a motorcycle trailer, etc, etc) it's the perfect solution. I wouldn't get a commodore they are too thirsty and big for what i need. And in terms of what it will cost me they are fantastic value for money. The only other car i may consider when the time comes is a late 90's liberty. But after having my old r34 i've got a soft spot for them.

No car is hassle free.

You have no turbo lag because you don't have a turbo, just sayin'.

Turbo 33s are cheap.

Cops don't care as much if they can tell the difference.

If you are worried your right foot is going to send you off the road in any car please don't drive near me and see an exorcist about your possesed foot.

How the engine gets it's air doesn't have any effect on how good a driver you are.

When someone tells you how much of an awesome driver they because they drive an excel what do you think of them?

I know a guy who had a 600cc buzzbox, is he a good driver because his car was piss weak? No.

If it's not blown, it sucks :D

Funny. Well said.

i have a r33 gts myself and i've owned it for 1year, the ONLY reason i got a non-turbo is because of the P-plate restrictions in Victoria. I was going get a r32 gts-t (i regret i didnt get one now), theres not many performance mods you can do for NA (little KW gained for the $). Get a turbo if ur gonna get a skyline IMO, i've learned the hard way :)

P.S: it sucks when ur sitting at the lights in a skyline with a lane merging into one infront of you and you're thinking if you can beat this Commodore (v6) sitting next to you.

Edited by shaun123

i have a r33 gts myself and i've owned it for 1year, the ONLY reason i got a non-turbo is because of the P-plate restrictions in Victoria. I was going get a r32 gts-t (i regret i didnt get one now), theres not many performance mods you can do for NA (little KW gained for the $). Get a turbo if ur gonna get a skyline IMO, i've learned the hard way :)

P.S: it sucks when ur sitting at the lights in a skyline with a lane merging into one infront of you and you're thinking if you can beat this Commodore (v6) sitting next to you.

lol yeah know what you mean i've got na 32 (on my p's), it was 6k looked liked shit but had all the gds, type m, gtr interior, sunroof, system, usual mods 3 inch catback, pod but most of all the engine was in gd condition, rb25 with a manual conversion.. i just had to have a skyline couldnt stand getting around in a mitsibishi sigma 2.6, even tho it had balls it was just shit, i got it for 100 bucks , crashed it, sold it for 200.. which brings up Eugs point of experience im glad i had that shit box first to smash up and learn some lessons.. anyway hey ive got the 32 shell now and i want to make it look its best again, upgrade brakes and suspension, put in lsd etc etc then grab a rb26 when im off my p's and throw my money into the pit.. allright... not sure if this is the way to go but sure i'll learn along the way..

my next R34 will be a non turbo, auto, 4 door, 4 wheel drive car.

I've had a manual GT-t and for the kind of car i need next (not too old, good price, good on fuel, looks nice, can tow a motorcycle trailer, etc, etc) it's the perfect solution. I wouldn't get a commodore they are too thirsty and big for what i need. And in terms of what it will cost me they are fantastic value for money. The only other car i may consider when the time comes is a late 90's liberty. But after having my old r34 i've got a soft spot for them.

You think the same as I do mate! and thats exactly what I did.

Another one for P Plate Restrictions, I get my P's in august.

Got a 1997 R33 GTS25 Series 2, Awsome first car.

Got it because it handles really good, has more power then a bomby old wreck and it looks awsome ^_^

VVT is FOR THE WIN!

Edited by OBNXSH

I have had my NA R33 GTS series 1 for 4 years now and the reason I got a one is purely due to the fact that my parents were pretty much gonna kick me out of the house if I had bought a GTST. They were scared I was gonna smash the thing - one of my best mates smashed his R33 GTST which really didnt help my cause. I was 18 and man was I pissed at the time. But hey, It was a skyline. Tons better than a commodore or falcon for a first car. I think most of us can agree on that. Looking back on it, i'd say it was the best thing for me. Admittedly, I do have a bit of a lead foot (my choice and not the devil within controlling my right foot) and god only knows what could have happened back then with pretty much no experience and thinking that nothing could happen to me. Its only now that I have decided to get myself a turbo by way of conversion.

The GTS's are a great car. Great handling, great looks, great reliability, great sound with a nice exhaust setup and they drive like a dream. Comments like "If it's not blown, it sucks " really piss me off. They dont! I know, I own one. Not everyone is as fortunate to have a turbo car and not everyone wants one. Please have some respect for people and the cars they own, and also their justification for having one.

Yeah......... pretty sure they all do at some point, until turbos hit boost, then its forced, I could be wrong though. Anyway, I misunderstood the term. Must have been worked up by the crap that I was reading against NA's. My bad :thumbsup:

Guys, some of us are forgetting that until a Turbo car hits boost (otherwise known as positive post) then before that it's just vacuum and nothing else. So if you don't revv it high enough, you'll be driving like a NA car at the lower RPM's anyways.

In my opinion, a turbo Skyline or a NA Skyline, they're all Skylines - all equally worthy of being labelled as "the beast." It just depends on how much you are proud of your beast.

Guys, some of us are forgetting that until a Turbo car hits boost (otherwise known as positive post) then before that it's just vacuum and nothing else. So if you don't revv it high enough, you'll be driving like a NA car at the lower RPM's anyways.

In my opinion, a turbo Skyline or a NA Skyline, they're all Skylines - all equally worthy of being labelled as "the beast." It just depends on how much you are proud of your beast.

Couldn't agree with you more mate, well said. :domokun:

In that situation an NA would be faster than the FI car with no boost, due to the higher compression etc. The FI engine is built for the extra air its gonna receive and without that its slow as. I would know as I've driven my car for 20km back from the track with no boost and it was not fun. I was having a lot of trouble accelerating to 100. :)

Edited by Yawn

Price and Potential. Pick up a manual R34 Gt-four which has the same gearbox as a r33 gtr for cheap since people automatically see n/a as slow and nothing can be done to fix this. Wack a neo 25det in it and i'll have a 34,manual, turbo, AWD, coupe for hardly any real big dollars spent

certain people buy GTRs and instantly think - f**k yeah... yet when they are passed by a stock NA supra, a GTST, GTS, etc etc... they sit there and make up excuses to keep making more power.

AHAHAHHA yeah rite Mate !!!

all else i sorta agree with

AHAHAHHA yeah rite Mate !!!

all else i sorta agree with

said GTR driver is a wanker - he was passed by an NA supra through the mountains, and he was beaten by me by 3-4 seconds around Queensland Raceway. the point i'm trying to make is the fact that some gtst/gtr owners think they are better (have the better car) simply because they own one.

you are in the NA section, people have chosen their cars for whatever particular reason, we dont need people telling us that our cars are inferior in whatever way they see. there'll always be a faster/better/more expensive/more likely to be rebuilt car around. bugatti vs. ferrari vs. gtr vs. gtst vs. gts vs. etc vs. etc.

it's a never ending viscious cycle, and the forced induced people need to respect that.

that said - you learn much more by driving a slow car fast than trying to drive a fast car fast, and this is my personal experience.