SAU Community

Hks 2530' Or Hks Gt-rs

Hello all......2530's for street.....unless you can drive at 250km's an hour....then I would suggest the gt-rs...lol

Most fine tuners in japan use HKS2530's or GT2860R-5 garrett......garrett make the 2530's........

My choices were like yours......but 2530's/.-5 Garretts was my decision and I do alot of research before I choose anything.

so the 2530 is a re-badged 2860-5?

same make?

Fitted RB25 AFM's

Tomei Poncams

@ 4 Wheels

Max Power 274.7kw @ 6963 RPM (1.3 BAR)

Max Torque 924.8 Nm @ 4803 RPM

Max M.A.P. 230.4 kPa @ 4665 RPM

what is that equivalent to rwkw?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are more than just re-badged.

There is slight differences in whe wheels used. Not a lot, but enough that they certainly are not rebadged.

Whilst Garrett makes the HKS turbos, thats where the similarity between HKS & Garrett turbos ends.

HKS turbos are good but they have to be rebuilt more often and can cost 3 times as much to rebuild than a garrett turbo. Garrett turbos are cheaper to buy, cheaper to rebuild, and alot easier to source than the HKS (including parts).. and as BOOSTD said, there's f**k all difference between the two.

Edit: Sorry everyone.. wrong information supplied here, my bad :thumbsup:

Edited by alexk

HKS turbos are good but they have to be rebuilt more often and can cost 3 times as much to rebuild than a garrett turbo. Garrett turbos are cheaper to buy, cheaper to rebuild, and alot easier to source than the HKS (including parts).. and as BOOSTD said, there's f**k all difference between the two.

Yeah its pretty hard to source HKS turbos. Oh look it took me a total of four clicks to order some on the web. Or a single phone call to Just Jap a quick drive down to Kirawee and there they are.

I don't know how you can backup the claim of HKS turbos being less reliable than Garrett turbos when they are made using the same parts slightly tweaked. Which you even admit to later in the same post. How can it be fundamentally so different as to require a rebuild more often and yet have next to no difference?

:thumbsup:

i'm not saying they are shit in anyway, just that if cost was a factor, the garretts might be that much more appealing. I did not comment on their reliability, they wear out when they wear out.. the garretts just last longer. Ever rebuilt a hks turbo before??

i'm not saying they are shit in anyway, just that if cost was a factor, the garretts might be that much more appealing. I did not comment on their reliability, they wear out when they wear out..

It sounds like you are talking out your arse

i'm not saying they are shit in anyway, just that if cost was a factor, the garretts might be that much more appealing. I did not comment on their reliability, they wear out when they wear out.. the garretts just last longer. Ever rebuilt a hks turbo before??

Mate if cost was the deciding factor we would all be driving Corollas and this thread would be about the latest brand of LED washer nozzles and and pros and cons of coloured wiper blades.

The truth is the GTR is a money pit and money saved on turbos will be spent somewhere else anyway so you may as well make that pretty low on the list of factors when deciding which turbos to buy and go for the turbos which suit your application best - within reason.

My 2c.

Mate if cost was the deciding factor we would all be driving Corollas and this thread would be about the latest brand of LED washer nozzles and and pros and cons of coloured wiper blades.

The truth is the GTR is a money pit and money saved on turbos will be spent somewhere else anyway so you may as well make that pretty low on the list of factors when deciding which turbos to buy and go for the turbos which suit your application best - within reason.

My 2c.

That's a fair call.

I'm not trying to start a fight, just offering a different view, thats all.

The truth of the matter is that Honeywell Garrett make a generic GT25BB centre section and use it for everything from GT2554R right througt to GT3582R including the HKS spec cartridges (centre sections) . There is available a slightly different BB pack itself but I'm told the only difference is the cage that separates the balls , some high temp composite vs the slightly more expensive ceramic cage . HKS cartridges use the normal one as well as the usual Garrett range .

Garrett calls any of their high performance GT25 BB turbos GT28XXR now days - the ones using that 53.85mm 76 trim NS111 turbine that is .

Garrett has optioned quite a few different GT28BB cartridges using the 60.1mm OD GT compressor and that NS111 turbine . The HKS spec GT2530 uses a 63 trim version though its not impossible that because of the age of these cartridges that it may even be a T3 wheel . Garrett also does two very similar cartridges where the compressor trim is 62 and even then the inducer diametre is fractionally different . The most significant difference I know of is the extucer tip height and the greater one is that used in the GT2860RS (AKA GT28RS) . The other is I think used in the 2530 type offering . I'm not in the cave ATM so I can only quote cartridge numbers from memory , pretty sure the 2860RS uses CHRA no 446179-5066 and the other one

446179-5056 . I think the 2530 is CHRA no 446179-5021 but have to confirm that .

These differences are not going to be massive in the real world but they will have some influence on boost threshold and adiabatic effeciency at the bleeding edge .

My best guestimate (not based on experience) is that the Garrett marketed equal to the 2530 has a bit going for it . Firsty if new its zero mileage and its compressor being a fractionally smaller trim thasn the 2530 may have very slightly better spool and transients . I've never measured a 2530's 63T compressors tip height so I can't compare it with the two 62T wheels .

The price is probably going to be better than any HKS vendors particularly if they discount for the matching identical pair .

I tend to be a little conservative with turbos and in a GTR's case I reckon I'd be more interested in what happens between 3500-7000 than 4500-8000 . Again I don't know through experience but I think GT-RS turbos (GT2871R 52T) would make the usable power range a bit peaky on a std capacity RB26 . I think HKS were silly not to use the GT2871R 48T cartridge as the basis for the RB26 spec GT-RS turbo , it would have been a better incrimental offering over the 2530 and been more user friendly .

Your call , I hate low compression slugs that you have to get angry with to have any decent squirt . It you have to drive around everywhere at 3500 revs so you can get some push when you crack the throttle/s it gets very tiresom and expensive at the pump .

Why bother cheers A .

The truth of the matter is that Honeywell Garrett make a generic GT25BB centre section and use it for everything from GT2554R right througt to GT3582R including the HKS spec cartridges (centre sections) . There is available a slightly different BB pack itself but I'm told the only difference is the cage that separates the balls , some high temp composite vs the slightly more expensive ceramic cage . HKS cartridges use the normal one as well as the usual Garrett range .

Garrett calls any of their high performance GT25 BB turbos GT28XXR now days - the ones using that 53.85mm 76 trim NS111 turbine that is .

Garrett has optioned quite a few different GT28BB cartridges using the 60.1mm OD GT compressor and that NS111 turbine . The HKS spec GT2530 uses a 63 trim version though its not impossible that because of the age of these cartridges that it may even be a T3 wheel . Garrett also does two very similar cartridges where the compressor trim is 62 and even then the inducer diametre is fractionally different . The most significant difference I know of is the extucer tip height and the greater one is that used in the GT2860RS (AKA GT28RS) . The other is I think used in the 2530 type offering . I'm not in the cave ATM so I can only quote cartridge numbers from memory , pretty sure the 2860RS uses CHRA no 446179-5066 and the other one

446179-5056 . I think the 2530 is CHRA no 446179-5021 but have to confirm that .

These differences are not going to be massive in the real world but they will have some influence on boost threshold and adiabatic effeciency at the bleeding edge .

My best guestimate (not based on experience) is that the Garrett marketed equal to the 2530 has a bit going for it . Firsty if new its zero mileage and its compressor being a fractionally smaller trim thasn the 2530 may have very slightly better spool and transients . I've never measured a 2530's 63T compressors tip height so I can't compare it with the two 62T wheels .

The price is probably going to be better than any HKS vendors particularly if they discount for the matching identical pair .

I tend to be a little conservative with turbos and in a GTR's case I reckon I'd be more interested in what happens between 3500-7000 than 4500-8000 . Again I don't know through experience but I think GT-RS turbos (GT2871R 52T) would make the usable power range a bit peaky on a std capacity RB26 . I think HKS were silly not to use the GT2871R 48T cartridge as the basis for the RB26 spec GT-RS turbo , it would have been a better incrimental offering over the 2530 and been more user friendly .

Your call , I hate low compression slugs that you have to get angry with to have any decent squirt . It you have to drive around everywhere at 3500 revs so you can get some push when you crack the throttle/s it gets very tiresom and expensive at the pump .

Why bother cheers A .

Hey Disco,

Would the HKS 2530 exhaust housing bolt onto a 28/2560R-5?. Would u feel the change would see an improvement?

cheers,

Matty

The turbine housings should interchange as RB26 turbos have to be located in the factory position to have all the plumbing line up . I've never had the two side by side but it'd be hard to resist using the High Kost Spec ones given a choise . You could look inside them to compare the shape of the passage and nozzle . I'd reckon HKS had their own made originally because there would have been nothing else available in that model specific app . Who knows maybe even Garrett made them . The divider between the turbine and wastegate outlets would be worth having .

I haven't looked into the HKS GT-ZZ for ages , I think they were something HKS was cooking up for a twin turbo conversion on the Z33 350Z . If and when they materialise it won't be too long before someone whips the housings off and posts a few pics so wont be secret for long .

It'd be hard to justify buying expensive name brand turbos and then rebuilding them .

Cheers .