SAU Community

What Am I In For?

Gazzilla

Well the Inevitable has Finally happened.. On a leisurly drive home from work the other day, I spot a SS marked Cop Car just at the corner of burwood hwy and Springvale Rd.

I proceed to head down burwood hwy. I notice a 300zx pulling away from the coppa. Anyhoo I had this gut feeling that this cop was gonna get me, So i act on my instinct and try hide in traffic, to no avial... and lo and behold 2 seconds later he is up my ass with his lights flashing. I pull over in the side street, he gets out, gives me usual spiel, licenence etc etc. then asks me to pop the hood.

I proceed to do so, the officer goes striaght for the turbo. and starts questioning me on it. I start acting dumb and pretend i dont know much about cars. (prolly not a smart idea). I told him that all i know is the car is pretty much stock apart from a few minor mods. and the Turbo is standard(which it is), and that it may have been high flowed.

He also told me that I cant have "Both" a Aftermarket intercooler and a Air filter, I can only have one, and i should put the standard airbox back on, and according to him, he thinks my car would run more effieciently with no aftermarket air fiiter?.

Apart from that he didnt care about anything else, as he didnt bother looking at anything else, he was actually a pretty good bloke. he said he "had to" notify the EPA, who i am yet to recieve a letter from.

So.. whats gonna happen and how much is this ordeal gonna cost?

what else is gonna implicate me at the EPA??

note :

i have a 4" exhaust

Hks BOV. kinda loud, but not excessive.

will they pin me for the HKS evc? or the Turbo Timer?

am i totally f*ked?

cheers!

:rant:

am i totally f*ked?

Yes.

Bend over and receive your glory!

:thumbsup:

When you get the letter just change the airbox and exhaust back to stock before you take it in....and im not sure, but externally you cant tell that if a turbo has been hiflowed yer? Say its stock. As for the BOV, i think you need a plumb back one -i think.

jaimzr33 - A boxed pod it not legal guys, it never has been and never will be.

Gazzilla - Did he take photo's? If so what of? What did he mention? You will get pinned, you'll receive a letter from the EPA in due course. Sucks huh.

jaimzr33 - A boxed pod it not legal guys, it never has been and never will be.

hmmm, well i took the car to an engineer and he said it would pass an engineers report provided i had a noise/emission test done at epa. i realise this topic has probably been done to death, but i'm still confused :thumbsup:

A boxed pod it not legal guys, it never has been and never will be.

ARGH! NO!

A boxed pod is perfectly legal on any EFI vehicle, provided that it's the only intake modification.

Well yeah he is right... a pod filer un-enclosed is not as good as a airbox/panel filter :(

That said, your probably off to the EPA.

Saying it was hi-flowed is a silly thing to do.

EBC - need to be removed

Exhaust - need to be quieter. 4" wont be legal.

BOV - need to be removed.

The stock BOV is the best item, so changing over isnt a bad idea to begin with.

Same with airbox

asif tell them you have a highflow lol! .. 'is that a intercooler son..?' 'dont know sir it came with the car i thought it was a larger radiator.' Act as dumb as you can dude.

how come you told him u had your turbo highflowed?

and he "had to" notify EPA cause thats what they r told to do

Rule 1 Don't volunteer anything.

Rule 2: See Rule 1.

Cops always (or almost always)

1: Try & pretend that they are either doing you a favour (I could have booked you for blah, but I will only do you for blah blah...) or

2: "They are only doing their jobs".

Both these approaches are rubbish because

1: They don't actually have to book you for anything if they don't want to.

2: Unemployment is at historic lows - which means they can get a real job.

Anyway, take the pain that is coming to you & resolve to keep the car legal. That way you wont have to go through all this rubbish a second (or third, or fourth) time.

Read the fist post and you'll see I was referring to that. Thanks.

There was no mention of a boxed pod in the "fist" post.

The officer suggested to return the air filter to stock.

However, jaimzr33 asked about a boxed pod, and was given misleading info.

A boxed pod is perfectly legal. :P

There was no mention of a boxed pod in the "fist" post.

The officer suggested to return the air filter to stock.

thats because he has an aftermarket I/C

So boxing the pod in reference to this thread is incorrect

sorry to hijack your thread gazza. but i still really haven't got a definitive answer. if i had an aftermarket intercooler and boxed in pod, that would still count as 2 intake mods yeah? and wouldn't having those mods engineered override epa? i tried looking on rta website but my gay internerd keeps crashing everytime i try to pull up the links to website. i live in sydney - so i don't know if these rules differ from state to state. could someone pretty please copy and paste/post info onto this thread. i would be eternally grateful. as i would hate to end up in the same situation as gazza

the law broken is exceeding more than 1 intake modification.

FMIC + AIRPOD = 2 intake modifications

A box around the pod is still a modification (as its not stock) and hence still are breaking the 1 intake mod law.

A box around the pod with NO intercooler is legal as it equals 1 intake mod.

Not sure if my input helped :domokun:

Thanks for the help guys, Now.. I need to source a standard exhaust, Air box and BOV. Anyone willing to help a man in need? i will buy you a few beers? or shout you a night at french satin haha.. joking. How much would it roughly cost to get the exhaust removed and fitted with the standard one + the BOV, i could do it myself but got no stands. Also how the Hell am i gonna remove the EVC?? the controller itself is stashed in a concealed mini glove box thingy next to the steering wheel, and the LCD display is mounted on the otherside of the steering column, does the LCD unit need to go to?? and what should i do about the Turbo timer that sits next to the hand brake. what should i do about that?

any help would b much appreciated.

Edited by Gazzilla