SAU Community

Brake Pads Users Ratings Guide

Didn't really have a budget, just want really good brakes!

So with the DBA 4000 rotors, Project Mu Club Racer and maybe the Motul RBF600?

Would that be a good combination for both track and street?

Do the Club Racers squeel on the street? Dust etc?

So with the DBA 4000 rotors, Project Mu Club Racer and maybe the Motul RBF600?

That combination alone takes you into fairly high end track pads. Is your car a daily driver, or just a weekend car with a little street driving?

Also, instead of the Motul, we actually stock the TRW GP600 Dot 4 Racing Brake Fluid, exactly the same as the Motul(both rated to 312 degrees), but generally cheaper as it comes in a 1L bottle for $59, rather than having to buy 2 x 500mL in the Motul.

Would that be a good combination for both track and street?

Yep, and that's exactly the same combination as I run in the rally car, which in a typical event, we do roughly the same number of k's in competition as we do liason on public roads between stages. The Club Racers will work from dead cold, and until you get them hot (at which point they're phenomenal), you wouldn't know they're not an ordinary street pad.

do the Club Racers squeel on the street? Dust etc?

In theory no, but cars with opposed pistons calipers are always susceptible to noise.

also, how hard on the disc is the Project Mu Club Racer?

When being used in competition, not very. We used the same 4000 series rotors for a season and a half, and they still had good thickness left. If it's being used as street pad only, it'll go through rotors fairly quickly.

Any other questions just let me know!

Regards,

Greg

Hey guys and girls.

Just wanted to give some initial feedback to my bendix street, race, track pads.

Put them on with some dba 4000 rotors, and they seem ok.

Good initial bite when cold(after a bed in period).

But so far seem very dusty.

Could be the slotted rotors, but I now have a nice brownish/red layer of dust on my front wheel.

Tears are running firehawk(i know I know) and don't seem anywhere near as dusty.

I am getting squeal from either front or rear.

Schamffered all pads, went away for a while.

Might have to do it again.

Ok, that's my little rant, will keep updating as I start to use them more after my engine rebuild.

Currently have A1RM but need to replace, street and supersprints, need to work from cold and do at least 3 fastish laps at the track at a time,what do you recommend, also PM price for both to 2173 please.

Thanks, Mark.

Just some quick feedback on project mu B-spec pads,

I matched them up with project mu scr pro rotors, braided lines and RBF600 fluid (yea I went all out) all on a R33 GTR

Pads are great from cold with good initial bite and great feeling through the pedal, they don't squeal which is good as my car is a daily

Pushing them inspires more confidence through the pedal which is fantastic and have now realised the tyres are now the weak point, only had one "spirited" drive with this set up as the engine has developed a knock but will update once all complete

But so far worth the money

• 2 months later...

Trying out the Intima SR's front and rear. have to say they seem pretty damn good. certainly grip well, zero noise, bugger all dust. far better than bendix which i have used in the past. good price too at around $120 a set.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to add my real world experience to this thread.

I have been supersprinting various cars for 20 years and now have a modified HR31 with a RB25DET (soon to be RB30/25) and 200 RWKw that I take to track days, superpsrints and hillclimbs. I run 330 mm HSV Group A rotors and Harrop race calipers front with QFM A1.RM pads and R32 GTR twin-pot calipers rear with QFM HPX pads using Castrol or Nulon Super DOT4 fluid. I also have a set of DS3000 fronts that I use on special 'very competitive' occasions!

The A1.RM's are the best value for money - they work right away from cold thru to 780C (no one gets to that temp on a road reg'd car), wear incredibly well (a set will do me a whole year or more, all for $100) and they have plenty of bite with little rotor wear. The DS3000's are a bit better but no good cold and really chew into the rotors. They cost 3 times as much buit the best if you want to shead that extra 1/2 sec at Wakey!

The Super DOT4 fluid works extremely well and I never experience fade even after 7 or 8 hard laps.

You do not need to spend big $ to get good braking performace with constant change of rotors as some I know experience.

Just my 2 cents worth.

• 2 months later...

What Hawk Brake pads would you guys recommend for a track day car? The car only sees the track, but only for track days, not long sessions either.

Is the DTC-60 overkill? What about the HT-10?

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Good question - as after I gave up on the A1RM's due to squealing (see above) I went to the bendix heavy duty. They don't squeal, but aren't as good at braking as the a1m were...

Makes me pine a bit for the OEM pads too, which I quite liked - so if you get a price post it!

Ian

I posted that in june 2009 - after I had given up on the A1RM's - don't buy them if you can't stand extreme noise! - and had swapped to the bendix heavy duty. A week or so ago they wore out, so I got almost 3 years of driving around town with them on which isn't any where near as good as the original ones.

Needed another pad in a hurry, so put the a1m in that where sitting in the shelf. Lasted in 3 days as I'd forgotten how bad they were for noise! I even tried the anti noise spray etc etc, before giving up on them yet again...

While I was down at repco buying something else, I mentioned I was looking at some new pads and the guy said they do repco branded ones for the skyline now, which are super quite with integrated shims. Given I was buying a few other things he did them for $70 (for the front two pairs) so I thought, what the heck, worth trying.

I've been pleasantly surprised - dead quite, reasonably good feel - but remember I'm not doing track (or anything like it!) I'm just driving around town... If you want a straight replacement when the standard ones where out, I don't think it is a bad choice...

Ian

ps PM me if you want a pair of not very used front A1RM's for a r34 gtt for a cheap price, as they are never going in again... :-)

Edited by ian

Give you $40 for the set.

If you installed the A1RM on rotors that had previously had another material on them (ie. not replaced or machined) then I'm not surprised they were noisy.

If you weren't after a performance pad (ala, Repco brand and Bendix Heavy duty) then why did you run the A1RM in the first place? They're a club motorsport pad, not a daily driver pad. If you wanted quiet and high end street, then I would go something like Remsa or HPX.

Saying "I ran 'x' track pad and replaced them 'y' and 'z' street pad and they were quieter" is hardly comparing apples with apples, let alone make any sense...

What Hawk Brake pads would you guys recommend for a track day car? The car only sees the track, but only for track days, not long sessions either.

Is the DTC-60 overkill? What about the HT-10?

Cheers

Hey mate, I am running DTC-60 front and HT-10 rear as you cant get the DTCs for the rear (last i checked). For a track only car this combination works, it is slightly overkill and you will probably need some time to get used to how aggressive they are ie initial bite is very strong.

What tyres are you going to run on the track? If if you are not used to braking on the track and are not using R compound or slicks then I would recommend against these pads.

If you installed the A1RM on rotors that had previously had another material on them (ie. not replaced or machined) then I'm not surprised they were noisy.

They had been machined when I originally tried them..

If you weren't after a performance pad (ala, Repco brand and Bendix Heavy duty) then why did you run the A1RM in the first place? They're a club motorsport pad, not a daily driver pad. If you wanted quiet and high end street, then I would go something like Remsa or HPX.

Saying "I ran 'x' track pad and replaced them 'y' and 'z' street pad and they were quieter" is hardly comparing apples with apples, let alone make any sense...

Because Greg, back then you told me that they were fine for around the street - indeed they were what you were recommending.You would have been right too apart from the noise!

Ian

They are fine for the street, in that if you're after a pad that's capable of track work, but can still be driven to work on, they are perfect for that. If you're not using the car for track, or some seriously spirited street driving, then there's absolutely no need for them, and I apologise if I lead you in any other direction.

But my point stands, you can fairly compare a track pad to 2 mediocre street pads (at best) and complain that the former wasn't suitable becaues you've covered two completely different segments of the market. Even so, very few people relative the number of people running the A1RM have any sort of nosie problem, and the majority of issues are with opposed pistons calipers, which are notorious for noise regardless of compound.

• 3 weeks later...

any last min advice people,

Got 32 GTR front brakes, R33 GTSt Rear

Will be going full set of RESMA pads

HEL braided lines

Sin 600 fluid penrite

Stock 32GTR front rotors, Stock GTSt rear ( machined)

This is street only, Anything other i can do besided the above for some good braking power, Apart from good rubber.