SAU Community

Brake Pads Users Ratings Guide

the most important issue with track pads on the street is the working temperature of the pad.

It *must* work fine from cold, there is nothing more embarresing than running up the back of a camry pulling into a roundabout. Especially if you do it in a race car.

Agreed, that would be extremely embarrassing haha.

Any of the hawk track pads I have used work perfect from cold. They are more aggressive than say DS2500s, they sound like they are angle grinding the disks when cold ;)

the most important issue with track pads on the street is the working temperature of the pad.

It *must* work fine from cold, there is nothing more embarresing than running up the back of a camry pulling into a roundabout. Especially if you do it in a race car.

Iv been running Remsa (i think) pads all round recommended by gslrallysport, they are very well priced, quiet, I ran them on eastern creek and really gave them a hard time and not one bit of fade at all. Running castrol super dot 4 fluid on std r33 gtst calipers and rotors.

Only downside its they are very dusty.

• 2 weeks later...
threw some Bosch quickstops the wife's Car a few weeks back .. sensational street pad and under 60$ a set... Only downside is I don't think they are available for skylines. :/

Did you look at bosch.com.au website? Their catalogues say they have all 3 bosch compounds available for skylines (I assume you're talking about sumitomo calipers) - Ultra, Qikstop and Eco.

Part numbers for quickstops intended for sumitomo calipers appear to be 0 986 AB4 258 for front and 0 986 AB4 269 for rear pads.

I don't track my car and it's a daily drive. I'm looking for something around $50 per pad but no more than $100 per pad and how would you rate them (1 = crap and 10 = awesome) in terms of:

• Initial Bite
  • Fade Resistance
  • Durability
  • Dust
  • Noise

Cheers!

Fitted PMU club racers for a track day at Wakefield in May, but have only just had a chance to use them on the road:

Track- F-ing unreal, braking not far off the 100m going into the last turn on Wakefield, braking that hard I was having trouble with submarining under the belt. Was boiling dot 4 Castrol fluid, but as soon as I had pedal pressure the thing was on it's nose again

Road: makes me wonder why previous performance pads have had such an issue when cold, they bite when cold is easily as good as any road pad I have had in other cars.

I still have not had the ABS come in, including on the track.. Will not think twice when they wear out.

• 4 weeks later...

I just changed over from using Racebrakes RB74/QFM A1RM pads (same pad/compound I believe) to PMU HC+ pads (PMU kit seems to have dropped markedly in price recently).

The difference is night and day.

The A1RM/RB74 pads were ok for light track work but as me and the car got quicker they simply couldn't keep up... I was going through a set in one track day! And once hot the pedal feel was very mushy.

The PMU HC+ are not much more expensive but they out perform these other pads in every respect and I would never consider going back.

The HC+ last longer, don't squeal as much, have as good cold stopping power, much improved hot stopping power and vastly improved pedal feel everywhere.

IMHO the PMU HC+ pads are worth the extra money and then some.

P.S. Interesting that the previous poster found the cold braking performance of the PMU Club Racer pads so good. They might also be worth a closer look for street/track work if this is the case.

need some new pads for the front of my R - does having big Alcons mean anything in terms of pad choice?

i was thinking of just going Ferodo DS2500's - but they seem to have been around for a long time, so i'm open to newer and better things if there's anything around.

i'm running Ferodo or Endless at the moment, not 100% sure which, they're blue :D

What are the 34 R owners using for a street/track pad?

I just ordered a set of endless MX72 for brembo 6 pot fronts 4 pot rears. After a bit of research they appear to be a good compromise between street and track.

Was lookin at the PMU HC+ but seem to be better for track than street. Bit noisy aswell apparently.

yes, the MX72 does seem to get a very good rap.

mind if i ask where you bought from? and price? and how do i figure out what i need for my alcons as i take they come in a few sizes/shapes/patterns?

I ordered my MX72 pads from BSM Motorsport they were 800 for front and rears and a few weeks wait. I just traced my old pads and took some measurements to ensure the new ones would be the right size.

I'm mainy gonna use em on the street so hopefully there not very noisy.

Cheers

Matt

I ordered my MX72 pads from BSM Motorsport they were 800 for front and rears and a few weeks wait. I just traced my old pads and took some measurements to ensure the new ones would be the right size.

I'm mainy gonna use em on the street so hopefully there not very noisy.

Cheers

Matt

$800 for pads.......are they gold plated?

• 4 weeks later...

I've recently made some changes to my braking setup on my 33 gtr. I went from Akebono Street pads to QFM A1rm with new penrite HPR fluid, slotted rotors and a cusco master stopper as when i was bleeding the brakes i noticed about an inch of flex in the cylinder/firewall region.

At first the brakes were great, the improvement was amazing, they were rather noisy and about as dusty as my HC+ i ran on my S13. I then decided I'd go for a spirited drive on Macquarie Pass late one evening and that's when they showed their true colours.

I'd done about 350km on the new pads just casually driving, nothing strenuous, but on Mac Pass by the Fifth corner on the downhill the pads we done, the smell was terrible and started to make me feel sick. Ended up rolling down the rest of the way in 2nd and sat at the bottom cooling them off for a good 20-30min whilst talking to a mate.

After they cooled off I went for the uphill run, they lasted a tad longer but from the start they were noticably different.

The Pads appear to now be permanently changed. The car doesn't stop as well as it used to and the initial bite of the pad is gone. Pedal effort has increased as well.

I think I'll be going back to Mu Pads, maybe mx72's. I think the A1RM pads would probably be better in a car with less weight like a Silvia but I honestly can't recommend them for a Skyline or at all for spirited driving and now I definately won't be trying them on the track.

On a positive note GSL Rallysport where i got the pads from were great to deal with from a customer service point of view and I'll be using them again to get pads from, just a different brand....

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently made some changes to my braking setup on my 33 gtr. I went from Akebono Street pads to QFM A1rm with new penrite HPR fluid, slotted rotors and a cusco master stopper as when i was bleeding the brakes i noticed about an inch of flex in the cylinder/firewall region.

At first the brakes were great, the improvement was amazing, they were rather noisy and about as dusty as my HC+ i ran on my S13. I then decided I'd go for a spirited drive on Macquarie Pass late one evening and that's when they showed their true colours.

I'd done about 350km on the new pads just casually driving, nothing strenuous, but on Mac Pass by the Fifth corner on the downhill the pads we done, the smell was terrible and started to make me feel sick. Ended up rolling down the rest of the way in 2nd and sat at the bottom cooling them off for a good 20-30min whilst talking to a mate.

After they cooled off I went for the uphill run, they lasted a tad longer but from the start they were noticably different.

The Pads appear to now be permanently changed. The car doesn't stop as well as it used to and the initial bite of the pad is gone. Pedal effort has increased as well.

I think I'll be going back to Mu Pads, maybe mx72's. I think the A1RM pads would probably be better in a car with less weight like a Silvia but I honestly can't recommend them for a Skyline or at all for spirited driving and now I definately won't be trying them on the track.

On a positive note GSL Rallysport where i got the pads from were great to deal with from a customer service point of view and I'll be using them again to get pads from, just a different brand....

With regards to the HC+ pads. How did you go about bedding them in?

I followed a fairly normal proceedure for bedding them in, 10 stops from 60-80kmph, 500m apart with med-hard braking, let the brakes cool for 20-30mins then another 10 stops 1km apart from the same speed, let them cool then gave them a few good hard stops from 100kmph.

• 1 month later...

I'm running the Alcon Advantage big brake kit on my R32, I believe they come with DS2500 pads, and they seem fantastic on the street, but I'm yet to try them on the track......I'm a little concerned they won't be good enough for the track (I tend to be hard on brakes by trail braking)

So what would be a good stage up from these? DS3000s?

I don't mind only using them for track days and putting the DS2500s back in for road.....any problems with doing this?

I would like something with a bit more initial bite, and like a firm pedal.