SAU Community

Brake Pads Users Ratings Guide

just in relation of brakes etc. i have a r33 gts, now i have a only one problem with my brakes and the problem is that they squil as a mofo big time and its bloody annoying big time. now i have done everything to try and fix the problem but no luck in that department, at the moment i have bendix brakes on there normal pads, and they still make noise while im braking.

Today i rang up the nissan service department and they reckon if i put the orginal brake pads for that type of car i should have no problems at all, by the way i have slotted brake dics and its only making noise on the front brakes only.

any help in this department would be great thanks

• 3 weeks later...
The pads were advertised as a street/track pad with minimal rotor wear. If i was told otherwise, then i wouldnt have purchased them. Even if they are semi-track they shouldnt chew through a whole rotor in daily driving/motorkhana

The pads still have plenty of meat on them after 30,000km. There would have been no issues if the pads wore out but instead the rotors did which is my concern...

No replies from qfm, so time to try out some project mu b-specs

yeah man, get project mu pads... had nothing but love from them.... i gave QFM pads a go, and they suck arse! HATE THEM SO MUCH, never again

i have the HPX? and they squeal thier head off! and arent even that great - base model Project mu pads SH!T all over them

You obviously didn't bed them im properly.

When I fitted the HPX pads to mine, I just went out onto the road and did about 5 100-6km/h slowdowns, and they've been fine ever since. Not one bit of squealing or any other noise. They also pull up a shitload better than OEM pads.

Project Mu pads are also a lot more expensive IIRC

yeah man, get project mu pads... had nothing but love from them.... i gave QFM pads a go, and they suck arse! HATE THEM SO MUCH, never again

i have the HPX? and they squeal thier head off! and arent even that great - base model Project mu pads SH!T all over them

QFM HPX are a nice pad for a street driven car. I dont do any track work and tbh they have good bite for a cheap pad. And there is no squeel as someone already said...

and your comparing a $200+ pad to a $78 pad....

Edited by Dani Boi

haha which part?

well the HPX are also cheaper than even the cheapest brake pads at the local Bursons etc, I can't fault them. I also used second hand front rotors (barely been used), and didn't bother machining the rears. If anything mine should have been the most squealiest!

Spot on, if you're going to compare pads, compare them one of two ways, either compare them to pads that cost the same (which in the case of HPX, would be something like Bendix GCT), or compare them to pads with similar performance and look at the price differences. HPX would be the rough equivalent to Bendix Ultimate, EBC Green, Ferodo TS2000 or Project Mu B Spec, of which I'm sure it's miles cheaper than all of those. And made in Australia to boot.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I currently have a decent HP(450rwhp AUTO) GTST with a built auto which has no engine braking when knocking down gears (Apparently good for drag racing) but not for track lol.

I've had mine for about 3 years and had never looked at the brake pads. Over the last three years they have been awesome. Changed fluid to Penrite SIN(Standard lines) for powercruise and flogged it all weekend as previous powercruise with a manual the brake pedal got spongy after a couple of laps.

The car's brakes never failed Fri, Sat and Sun and actually both me and a mate(33GTR) got kicked off the track for GOING TOO FAST on the second last straight (All I can say is we were motoring up to the cones(Speed unknown) and my mate who owns a VL was crapping his pants in the back because he knew his car wouldn't have stopped.)

Anyway back right rear pad finally gave out and started making a nasty metal on metal noise when almost home.

Pulled them off and guess what standard SUMITOMO'S. Those pads were AWESOME but not having any connections with NISSAN I didn't even bother getting a price.

Now have Bendix Ultimate's in the rear, no squeel and feel as good as the SUMI's did although already noticing more break dust than the SUMI'S.

Next are the fronts which I will go Ultimates as well. As with my auto other than Powercruise I wont be doing track work so I can't see the Ultimate's failing me at this point.

Howdy,

My GTR is a track car only (310 rwKw) and I use

EBC yellow pads.

They work ok but the front pads only last about 25 laps at Mallala

and then are worn down to the backing plates. ( doing 1:18 sec laps)

I realise Mallala is hard on brakes. 220 km/h to almost a dead stop for

the northern hair pin.

Does any one know of a longer lasting pad that works?

Has anyone used HAWK brand pads?

Cheers,

Geoff :D

Howdy,

My GTR is a track car only (310 rwKw) and I use

EBC yellow pads.

They work ok but the front pads only last about 25 laps at Mallala

and then are worn down to the backing plates. ( doing 1:18 sec laps)

I realise Mallala is hard on brakes. 220 km/h to almost a dead stop for

the northern hair pin.

Does any one know of a longer lasting pad that works?

Has anyone used HAWK brand pads?

Cheers,

Geoff ;)

Some feedback for Hawk DTC-60 and HT-10:

http://www.skylinesaustralia.com/forums/in...t&p=5241649

If you are staying out for long sessions at Mallala I would probably go with what gslrallysport has suggested, not sure how the Hawks would be in your conditions.

Howdy,

I'm still running the standard GTR calipers but with slotted rotors.

If I can find a pad that is upto it I would like to stay with

the calipers I have due to the cost of upgrading.

I looked into up grading to the Brembo from the R spec and

found them to be quite expensive for what you get.

Have also looked into some Willwood calipers and two piece rotors

from the UK, But it's all a little out of my price range for now.

Has anyone used the Willwood package on a GTR?

Cheers,

Geoff.

• 3 weeks later...
as probably Greg (the sales manager) said stick to the HPX, which is still a Bendix Ultimate equivalent in terms of performance, so more than enough for street use, but very low dust and rotor wear.

I don't agree with either of those two comments,... my hpx (which were bedded in correctly and given a freshly machined rotor) have destroyed my rotors after just 18,000km and the brake dust I wouldnt decribe it as very low dust

i dont care how cheap they are, when you have to replace rotors before the pad wears out, and people think your car is under maintained due to an annoying squeal when coming to rest at every traffic stop... i would rather pay more!

my new DBA 4000 series rotors will be treated with project mu NS

Howdy,

I'm still running the standard GTR calipers but with slotted rotors.

If I can find a pad that is upto it I would like to stay with

the calipers I have due to the cost of upgrading.

I looked into up grading to the Brembo from the R spec and

found them to be quite expensive for what you get.

Have also looked into some Willwood calipers and two piece rotors

from the UK, But it's all a little out of my price range for now.

Has anyone used the Willwood package on a GTR?

Cheers,

Geoff.

have you considered using one of those kits for the GTR to go from a 296mm rotor to a 324mm rotor using the same sumitomo calipers?

i am yet to get out to Mallala, but am going to be heading out there next month. and hopefully a little more in the future.

i dont really want to upgrade to brembo's because its a big cost for only a small upgrade. i've heard that the most important part in your braking system is having good pads and fluid. there is little need for huge rotors and calipers if you are still running shit pads.