SAU Community

Money Money Money

to tell you the truth to me its better more response and harder acceleration i noticed the difference even on the dyno look at the way thew power comes on wait till its tuned.

i think that old (the larger throttle body does nothing for you is bull) my opinion .

it all depends on the setup, this car gained poofteenths (maybe a couple of kw or so) going from the std throttle body to a Q45 at 330rwkw. In this particular setup the rear housing is the restriction not the tb. The throttle action is nicer on the q45 though and make it nicer to drive.... and in this case was the only change.

i should add swap was done on the dyno so variables were minimised.

post-34927-1245465849_thumb.jpg

Edited by URAS

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely just a boost difference before and after the throttle isn't an indication of whether a throttle body will give gains throughout the rev range :rofl2:

It may not be a restriction at those power levels, however it doesn't mean that no more performance can be gained.

If you upgrade the size of the throttle and pipework to suit it can allow more airflow at the same boost pressure does it not?

Airflow (Q) = Velocity (V) x Cross sectional Area (A)

An increase in the cross sectional area at the same velocity means an increase in airflow (CFM). So why would it not make more power, regardless whether it's a "restriction" or not?

I'm an Engineering student so if i am wrong please explain why as i am curious about this whole throttle upgrade.

Here's the Autosalon article i was talking about earlier.

post-35676-1245417489_thumb.jpg

As a general statement - in your example your assuming velocity is a constant (or assuming it can be maintained) - which is not always the case when you increase the cross sectional area of something - hence it may not always result in more hp across all rpm.

Despite my above comment - in the case of t/b's - I've found bigger is actually better - not necessarily for outright hp (i haven't done back to back tests) but for response because the T/B is basically a choke and the quicker the choke is removed through each incremental movement of the larger throttle plate the greater the airflow into the plenum and therefore cylinders. So in essence I'm agreeing with your Airflow formula in the case of T/B's - to a point. There will become a point where the T/B can be too big in which case the velocity across the throttle plate will diminish and cause the throttle to be doughy particularly at part throttle/low rpm situations resulting in driveability issues.

Edited by juggernaut1

it all depends on the setup, this car gained poofteenths (maybe a couple of kw or so) going from the std throttle body to a Q45 at 330rwkw. In this particular setup the rear housing is the restriction not the tb. The throttle action is nicer on the q45 though and make it nicer to drive.... and in this case was the only change.

i should add swap was done on the dyno so variables were minimised.

as i said it was on the dyno with no change in tune,when its tuned we will see the true diffrence as a/f ratio was much richer than i remeber it to be. for my set up you would be happy with 325-335 kw as there are more than just rear housing restrictions,

we will see and then you can talk about pooftheenths.........lol your funny trent.

hay trent do hub dynos read more than roller dynos ? as i have a choice of tuners and i want a more realistic reading or should i say true reading or are they the same.

dont forget the t/b cost $110 everything eles was my time so as for people how say its a wast of money i spend that much when mates come over for pizza.

thanks again for everyone comments.

lighten up people forums are for fun.

Edited by WARLORD

as i said it was on the dyno with no change in tune,when its tuned we will see the true diffrence as a/f ratio was much richer than i remeber it to be. for my set up you would be happy with 325-335 kw as there are more than just rear housing restrictions,

we will see and then you can talk about pooftheenths.........lol your funny trent.

hay trent do hub dynos read more than roller dynos ? as i have a choice of tuners and i want a more realistic reading or should i say true reading or are they the same.

dont forget the t/b cost $110 everything eles was my time so as for people how say its a wast of money i spend that much when mates come over for pizza.

thanks again for everyone comments.

lighten up people forums are for fun.

run the car on the last dyno it was on.... only way to get a comparison. By introducing another variable (different dyno) any comparison is null and void.

Yeah like you said the throttlebody is a cheap item and we did the excersise for no other reason than i had a Q45 lying around and said customer is a good friend and i offered to run it up no charge b4 and after for data.... if it had the 10cm instead of 8cm rear im sure we would have seen good gains.

Edited by URAS

Surely just a boost difference before and after the throttle isn't an indication of whether a throttle body will give gains throughout the rev range :)

It may not be a restriction at those power levels, however it doesn't mean that no more performance can be gained.

If you upgrade the size of the throttle and pipework to suit it can allow more airflow at the same boost pressure does it not?

Airflow (Q) = Velocity (V) x Cross sectional Area (A)

An increase in the cross sectional area at the same velocity means an increase in airflow (CFM). So why would it not make more power, regardless whether it's a "restriction" or not?

I'm an Engineering student so if i am wrong please explain why as i am curious about this whole throttle upgrade.

Here's the Autosalon article i was talking about earlier.

post-35676-1245417489_thumb.jpg

The forumla is correct but you forgot about the other part of the forumla:

v = d/t

I'm drinking at the moment, but later on ill try to type and explain my hypothesis with this throttle body thing lol.

EDIT: I'll put it in another thread, i don't want to hog up Nick's thread :)

Edited by PM-R33

• 6 months later...

just a small update running nitrous but going backwards but having fun doing it. the diff was playing up with the limo working and then not.getting that fixed and then trying again

here is a vid.

Hahaha the lack of grip is really killing the times. What gear you using the gas in, straight off the line is first?

in second gear ,if you have a look on some of the passes i take the gas of in third and jump on it again and it just pick up where i was spinning its fun but it gave me the shits after about 3 passes that night i did 9 of them,at the end i was getting use to spinning at 180km/h and dancing all over the track.but that's not going to happen next time i hope...lol

Spinning MTs at 180?

Something not right there. Did the track have ice on it? :)

funny that dave that's what it felt like im sure that's where the one lega limo was coming in to play but im sure you new that.lol

Edited by WARLORD

nick - those tough stickers add another 50kw & that is why you are breaking traction HA!

look at that farker squat though, like a hooker on canterbury road

squat !!! its all been set up from a canterbury hooker called "theckla" hahah what do you say marko she could squat hay? as for the stickers your right you remeber the day you drove my car it was all the sticker power that gave you the punch. hows your car marko,what we doing today

Edited by WARLORD

squat !!! its all been set up from a canterbury hooker called "theckla" hahah what do you say marko she could squat hay? as for the stickers your right you remeber the day you drove my car it was all the sticker power that gave you the punch. hows your car marko,what we doing today
You are a naughty boy nick, she was a bit heavy but still did get up and boogie with the right shaft...my car is coming out of the stable next week

u still think your rims belong on my car

well lucky that i beat you that day or i would have been in your shoes loveing "my" rims lol

you should try them on,take a photo and then give them back.lol

well lucky that i beat you that day or i would have been in your shoes loveing "my" rims lol

you should try them on,take a photo and then give them back.lol

And ill do the biggest 4 wheel drifts and launches imagineable, if i try them they are not coming off haha...refer to me as The Thrashaaa!