SAU Community

Money Money Money

i think that old (the larger throttle body does nothing for you is bull) my opinion .

Yeah i agree with ya. Did you see the Autosalon article from ages ago where all they did was a Hypertune throttle upgrade? They left the same sized pipework, just used a silicone reducer and gained 10-15kw through out the rev range and that was on a stock turbo at it's limits. That's decent gains in my books.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In some ways it's like upsizing the turbine. Less restriction to the whole air in / air out process should equal easier power.

Can you post up a decent picture of the throttle cable mount?

In some ways it's like upsizing the turbine. Less restriction to the whole air in / air out process should equal easier power.

Can you post up a decent picture of the throttle cable mount?

ok ill do that for you

Thanks for those - the detail is great. I'm in the same boat as zebra.

Do the angles work ok?

yep you have to bend the bracket a bit also have the bracket a bit sideways make it first then shape it on a belt sander to make it look like its a straight fit,i hope you know what i mean.its has to be at a angle so the cable wont hit the plenum and is straight in front of the throttle body ,also the holes to the bracket make slits so you can move it in the position you need. (belt sander last thing you do)

Edited by WARLORD

Yep, the end result sort of tells the story - I did notice that slight kink.

Searching through my ally and steel supplies I may use either some 50 x 50 x 6 angle ally, or 50 x 6 flat steel as a starting point. Either way should work fairly well, but probably yours as a template is the easiest.

Main point is to get that cable pulling from the right spot, in a fairly straight plane and avoid that bloody kink that I've seen a few people end up with as the cable runs into the plenum.

thanks

I was going to see if i could use the factory braket off the standard plenum but looking at that i dont think ill be able to

yer that will not work

With some help from my mate, we knocked up this item. As shown, 90% complete - it needed a slit cut for the cable to slip through, and a coat of paint.

post-19642-1245410121_thumb.jpg

One area we paid attention to was getting a dead straight pull on the throttle linkage. Hopefully our placement of the hole gives a nice sweep for the cable leading up to the bracket.

Bugger all materials used in making the thing, but I don't think it would be easy to get the positions right with manifold and throttle body all bolted up to the engine. Very similar in execution to yours Warlord, and definitely handy to have some fabricating skills.

With some help from my mate, we knocked up this item. As shown, 90% complete - it needed a slit cut for the cable to slip through, and a coat of paint.

post-19642-1245410121_thumb.jpg

One area we paid attention to was getting a dead straight pull on the throttle linkage. Hopefully our placement of the hole gives a nice sweep for the cable leading up to the bracket.

Bugger all materials used in making the thing, but I don't think it would be easy to get the positions right with manifold and throttle body all bolted up to the engine. Very similar in execution to yours Warlord, and definitely handy to have some fabricating skills.

one small but big thing is the cable must sit behind and fit under the plenum look at mine again as the firt one i made would not let the cable fit in with out jamming it in which i do not recomend ill measure the lenght you need it looks close ill let you know tomorrow

Edited by WARLORD

i think that old (the larger throttle body does nothing for you is bull) my opinion .

Did you measure the boost at WOT before the throttle body and found it was higher than the boost after the throttle body, hence proving that the throtte body was a restriction?

I have, at 315 rwkw and guess what? The boost was the same, hence proving that a larger throtte body would have achieved nothing, except waste time and money.

Cheers

Gary

Surely just a boost difference before and after the throttle isn't an indication of whether a throttle body will give gains throughout the rev range :P

It may not be a restriction at those power levels, however it doesn't mean that no more performance can be gained.

If you upgrade the size of the throttle and pipework to suit it can allow more airflow at the same boost pressure does it not?

Airflow (Q) = Velocity (V) x Cross sectional Area (A)

An increase in the cross sectional area at the same velocity means an increase in airflow (CFM). So why would it not make more power, regardless whether it's a "restriction" or not?

I'm an Engineering student so if i am wrong please explain why as i am curious about this whole throttle upgrade.

Here's the Autosalon article i was talking about earlier.

post-35676-1245417489_thumb.jpg

Edited by PM-R33

Did you measure the boost at WOT before the throttle body and found it was higher than the boost after the throttle body, hence proving that the throtte body was a restriction?

I have, at 315 rwkw and guess what? The boost was the same, hence proving that a larger throtte body would have achieved nothing, except waste time and money.

Cheers

Gary

i really think you need to re test.

its not a waste if it is done properly like every mod should be done not just chucking it on and hoping for the best you should know that.

the dyno has increase boost and the car was not even re tuned.

if you are going to turn this into somthing please don't post here as this is my topic with the results i have achieved and i don't want it to turn stupid again.

love always. lol

Nick

Edited by WARLORD

yer that will not work

I got it to work this morning :rofl2: (i have the standard throttle body with adapter though)

its not 100% perfect but pretty damn close.

I had to make a spacer for the accelerator pedal and cable but that was easy enough

Surely just a boost difference before and after the throttle isn't an indication of whether a throttle body will give gains throughout the rev range :rofl2:

It may not be a restriction at those power levels, however it doesn't mean that no more performance can be gained.

That doesnt make sense to me - if it doesnt restrict airflow it is not going to affect power.

If you upgrade the size of the throttle and pipework to suit it can allow more airflow at the same boost pressure does it not?

Airflow (Q) = Velocity (V) x Cross sectional Area (A)

An increase in the cross sectional area at the same velocity means an increase in airflow (CFM). So why would it not make more power, regardless whether it's a "restriction" or not?

You've assumed velocity is constant, which is not true.

I'm an Engineering student so if i am wrong please explain why as i am curious about this whole throttle upgrade.

Each section of the intake path introduces pressure loss (except the compressor of course!) and in some cases the loss introduced by a particular section is negligible, which is what Gary is saying. Checking the boost either side will tell you if there has been pressure loss. Lower pressure = less air mass = less power. If the piping into and out of the throttle are the same ID as the throttle, there's unlikely to be a change of much gain. If you're changing plenum to a larger ID, its likely to help.

Are you studying fluid dynamics at the moment? IIRC that's where this stuff is covered.

Now back on topic: Warlord you're a nut, but in a good way. The car is very nice.