SAU Community

A Problem Of The Skyline?

After searching the Internet for hours and hours, just as many other of us have done already I have a great fear.

The new GTR will be a worldwide sale. Does this mean the uniqueness of the GTR is going down the shitter?

The GTR has always been a symbol of devoted performance. You buy a GTR for the performance car it is. You don’t buy a GTR to go to the shops and back in. Just like rich old bald men buying a Porsche for a "second coming" at life, will the GTR be the same? Will we see a GTR and say, a true performance car driven by someone who has a passion? Or simply just, "another old man trying to show he is still "down with it"?

It is this uniqueness and rarity of the GTR that has always made it such an icon of performance. It’s the notion and the idea of the Godzilla that has catapulted it as a legend. It is this persona of Godzilla that makes a GTR so mean.

Come October, every acne faced thirteen-year-old boy will be drooling over the new Skyline. Do you think half of them know what makes a GTR a GTR? Once the greater upper classes of the world click onto this growing phenomenon of “Godzilla”, M3’s will be traded in and Porsche’s sold for this car that is over-hyped, over advertised and over anticipated by the performance car fraternity. By making sales world wide, you strip the GTR of its status. It no longer becomes a performance brute. It no longer has its uniqueness. But rather, something of what the Rex’s have become, popular, common, and really, quite boring.

It seems like such a waste. Something with such an iconic status that will become some roller coaster ride for someone who realises you can get supercar performance for half the price.

I just think it’s a shame something so amazing will be stripped of everything that made it so great.

The RB26DETT isn’t the only thing that dies with the R34 GTR

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As good as the next GT-R will be, it's a very different car now compared to the 34,33,32... you can say the same about the BNR32 being a very different car from it's father the KPGC110. But they all had that uniqueness and iconic status you're talking about at the time they were around. So what if a whole generation of pimple faced kids now lust after the GT-R yet don't know what it is. If anything that'll encourage Nissan not to drop the model in the future as these kids grow up and start earning money.

You are speculating here though GTS4WD, just wait till next year when the thing actually goes on sale.

I can understand what your saying, but i think because it is such an iconic namesake, the new GTR will be a force to be reckoned with.

Its because it has such a tradition and persona about that it will attract such attention all over the world.

And the new v6 arrangement is totally different to the straight 6 that was replaced in the 34, therfore every thing about the car - including its 'persona, demeanor, tradition, history etc' will also be different.

And i would sell my soul to the devil to own one. Hmmm.

Anybody have his number????

Best part is that its not a problem "of the Skyline", since the next GT-R isn't one.

The cost of entry will stop a lot of people from buying them as a mid-lifer's car. Sure you get that problem with entry-level Carreras, but then those people could have afforded to buy a grey import R34 GT-R when they came out as well so the worldwide "white import" won't affect its status that much.

The softening of the GT-R, to compete with the 911, is a worry. But if the rumours are accurate and there's going to be different variants, the Evolution version (which will be the lightweight "track prepped" one) will still be the car people lust over, and it'll have the balls to back up its reputation.

Just like the M3 has, over the years, softened itself out from the original E30 and turned itself into a luxury express I think the GT-R will still have a variant good enough to deserve the moniker. BMW has the CSL, Nissan will have the Evolution.

BMW has the CSL, Nissan will have the Evolution.

I wouldn't wholesale trust that an 'Evolution' model GT-R is on the cards just yet. The only repeated mention of specific models of the new GT-R I've seen is the base model, M-Spec (leather version) and V-Spec. Not saying it won't happen, just haven't seen any mention of it amongst Japanese circles other than that article J-Spec put on it's site ages ago about the next 'Skyline GT-R Evolution'.

I saw that Evolution model mentioned on Drive, but then those guys are regularly a few drops short of a piss.

Word is beginning to leak that the GT-R will be available in three specification levels and not just the one-for-all as previously. Dubbed the standard model, V-Spec and Evolution, think of them as direct rivals for the Porsche 911, 911 Turbo and 911 GT3.

They could be quoting the same source as the J-Spec article though. I find it quite unlikely that Nissan would use the same nomenclature as Mitsubishi for their halo car, despite the fact that the Impreza WRX has "Evo" variants.

Edited by scathing

I find it quite unlikely that Nissan would use the same nomenclature as Mitsubishi for their halo car, despite the fact that the Impreza WRX has "Evo" variants.

Nah the WRX 'Evos' were a Subaru Australia thing to boost interest in slow sales... you know, like Toyota Starlet 'Life' etc. Subaru Japan probably didn't have any knowledge of it, nor cared about it either.

Nah the WRX 'Evos' were a Subaru Australia thing to boost interest in slow sales...

Probably helped that, when Subaru Australia first started churning them out, Mitsubishi wasn't selling Evos down here at the time. I would have loved to have seen that trademark violation case.....when companies go to war over branding its amazing how petty they can end up getting.

Cris, first thing I want to say is we both obviously love Nissan GTR's, or a reasonable facsimile thereof!

But unlike you I am Old. :P

As I have a few businesses and possibly the credit rating to afford one when the time comes,

does that mean you will revile me and the car when you see us drive down the street because its a world GTR and not a troublesome RB variant?

And I must admit that my business partner who drives a 996 AWD Turbo would laugh at me if I bought one and say

"Grow Up and buy a REAL car! It's just a fancier version of that other piece of Asian Nissan crap that you drive!"

And that will be the opinion of many that could afford to own one around the world.

You and I may not agree with their sentiments but Nissan will be hard pressed to sway them...

BTW, you will be old one day, then you to may be able to afford one. :(

And I must admit that my business partner who drives a 996 AWD Turbo would laugh at me if I bought one and say

"Grow Up and buy a REAL car! It's just a fancier version of that other piece of Asian Nissan crap that you drive!"

Just reply with, "You'll have to speak up so I can hear you, since you can't catch up."

Edited by scathing

• 3 weeks later...
Cris, first thing I want to say is we both obviously love Nissan GTR's, or a reasonable facsimile thereof!

But unlike you I am Old. :)

As I have a few businesses and possibly the credit rating to afford one when the time comes,

does that mean you will revile me and the car when you see us drive down the street because its a world GTR and not a troublesome RB variant?

And that will be the opinion of many that could afford to own one around the world.

You and I may not agree with their sentiments but Nissan will be hard pressed to sway them...

BTW, you will be old one day, then you to may be able to afford one. :sick:

Suddenly.. the future doesn't seem so bleek..

thanks Greg.. :rant:

• 3 weeks later...

I base my opinions on the USA market.

Look at what Nissan is doing with their cars. The USA sedan line all look like the Maxima. They offer one performance car, the "Z". They tried an Altima SE-R and it did not sell. They now have an Altima Coupe, a front wheel drive. Cutting manufacturing costs by making the vehicles on a similar platform and pass none of those savings towards the consumer.

They are trying to market the new Skyline towards the high-end. The 30 and under crowd are the ones who know the name but the 40+ crowd will be the ones who can afford it. They will still buy Ferrari, Porsche and Corvette because they do not know what a Skyline is. The car has no heritage in the USA.

The new Skyline is nothing more than a fancy Infiniti G37 with turbos, ATESSA, the name and price tag. Maybe even an older, four seat 300ZX TT with ATESSA.

This is not a GT-R. This car will flop.

My Japanese friends agree.

I base my opinions on the USA market.

Look at what Nissan is doing with their cars. The USA sedan line all look like the Maxima. They offer one performance car, the "Z". They tried an Altima SE-R and it did not sell. They now have an Altima Coupe, a front wheel drive. Cutting manufacturing costs by making the vehicles on a similar platform and pass none of those savings towards the consumer.

They are trying to market the new Skyline towards the high-end. The 30 and under crowd are the ones who know the name but the 40+ crowd will be the ones who can afford it. They will still buy Ferrari, Porsche and Corvette because they do not know what a Skyline is. The car has no heritage in the USA.

Nice easy to read font there buddy.

You're talking about the GT-R (I take it?) and what it's impact will be upon release, but it isn't going to be called a Skyline. This has been officially confirmed and put to rest since late 2005. I agree that the GT-R will have stiff competition fom other established brands but it'll boil down to 'value for money' in the end... if the GT-R is good enough at a price thats deemed as good value then they should sell well... we don't know how many Nissan intend to sell yet so how well it sells according to those figures will show whether it's a success or failure.

The new Skyline is nothing more than a fancy Infiniti G37 with turbos, ATESSA, the name and price tag. Maybe even an older, four seat 300ZX TT with ATESSA.

This is not a GT-R. This car will flop.

My Japanese friends agree.

Again, the new GT-R is not a Skyline anymore so calling it one is incorrect, although not calling it a proper GT-R is entirely up to you... people have been saying that on this forum since early 2004 so you're kinda 'preaching to the converted'...

I didnt intend to cause you eye strain. What is the approved font I should use?

Calling it GT-R or Skyline its a basis of symantics. The two are linked regardless. Nissan knows this and it will sell on name alone. At first.

The twin turbo V6 was already in a the 300ZX. Add the name and the ATESSA what do you have?

I feel the RB engine made them special. An odd ball engine compaired to the USA V8 muscle.

All I am trying to say is I'm not super impressed. Yes, this car may blow the doors off the competition. I hope it does. Based on the current line up Nissan offers, I dont think so.

• 4 weeks later...