SAU Community

R33: (gts-t) Series 1 And 2 Differences

PranK

• 2 weeks later...

Mine is a July 95, has no ignitor, two plugs on the TPS, chrome badge on the grille, titanium badge on the boot, series one boot spoiler, Drivers airbag, seat belt holder on the drivers side only, and also has VVT,,

is this a 1.5?

cheers

John

Edited by 33GTT

there are 4 different series of the r33 skyline. series 1, 1.5, 2 and 3. this link will tell u very basic differences.

http://www.gtauto.com.au/skyline.html

also all gts-t r33's were m-spec. in the r32's there were non m-spec gts-t's. the m-spec 32's had leather steering wheel, gear knob, gear boot and hand brake cover.

there was also a LTS-T which was very much like a gts-t but had no stereo in it and was a bit lighter. very few of these were made

Edited by mad082

there are 4 different series of the r33 skyline. series 1, 1.5, 2 and 3. this link will tell u very basic differences.

also all gts-t r33's were m-spec. in the r32's there were non m-spec gts-s's. the m-spec 32's had leather steering wheel, gear knob, gear boot and hand brake cover.

there was also a LTS-T which was very much like a gts-t but had no stereo in it and was a bit lighter. very few of these were made

pretty sure only the R33 GTR went to series 3...my R33 is a 98 model and its still a series 2....the R34's were next off the production line...

and i think it was only the series 2's that were all TYPE M (its not "m-spec") whereas it may have just been optional on series 1...

also all gts-t r33's were m-spec. in the r32's there were non m-spec gts-s's. the m-spec 32's had leather steering wheel, gear knob, gear boot and hand brake cover.

That's a fair bit of 'new' information that is totally wrong :O

- It's "Type M" not M-Spec (M-Spec was a modeal variant for the R34 GTR)

- Series 1.5 is not an official model designation, however it's pretty much accepted that between 1995 and 1996 there were GTS25ts that had some attributes from both

- Only the GTR had a Series III. Not the GTS25t

- No such thing as an LTS-T

//edit: beaten by Dezz.. man you love your "differences between R33 models" aye? :O

m-spec, type m - same horse different eyebrows. most people, including importers refer to them as m-spec

thats probably because people associate "spec" with the GTR models...(V spec etc) and they think they're getting something spectacular...the dealer isnt gonna say

"pretty much every R33 is a type M....so you're just getting the norm"

not so attractive is it? lol

hehe yeah razor man....i used to know nothing and almost got sucked into buying a dud...but so glad i didnt, and i know so much more about em all now :O

sorry it is the lsts, not ltst

and here is a full list of skyline models in the r33 range

R33 1993-1998 Specs

(GT-R only from 1995-1996-1997-1998-1999)

Nissan Skyline R33 GTS (sedan, 2.0l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R33 GTS S (sedan/coupe, 2.0l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R33 GTS G (sedan, 2.0l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R33 GTS X (sedan, 2.0l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R33 GTS25 (sedan/coupe, 2.5l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R33 GTS25 S (coupe, 2.5l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R33 GTS25 G (sedan, 2.5l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R33 GTS25 X (sedan, 2.5l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R33 GTS25t M (sedan/coupe, 2.5l turbo, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R33 LSTS25t M (coupe, 2.5l turbo, FR, 5MT)

Nissan Skyline R33 GTS-4 (coupe, 2.5l, 4WD, 4AT/5MT

Nissan Skyline R33 GT-R (coupe, 2.6l twin turbo, 4WD, 5MT)

Nissan Skyline R33 GT-R V-spec (coupe, 2.6l twin turbo, 4WD, 5MT)

and just for the hell of it here is the r32 and r34 models list

R32 1989-1993 Specs

(GT-R 1989-1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995)

Nissan Skyline R32 GXi (sedan, 1.8l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R32 GTE (sedan, 2.0l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R32 GTS (sedan/coupe, 2.0l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R32 GTS S (sedan/coupe, 2.0l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R32 GTS-t (sedan/coupe, 2.0l turbo, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R32 GTS-t M (sedan/coupe, 2.0l turbo, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R32 GTS-4 (sedan/coupe, 2.0l turbo, 4WD, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R (sedan/coupe, 2.6l twin turbo, 4WD, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R V-spec (coupe, 2.6l twin turbo, 4WD, 5MT)

Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R V-spec II (coupe, 2.6l twin turbo, 4WD, 5MT)

R34 1998-1999-2000-2001 Specs

(GT-R 1999-2000-2001-2002)

Nissan Skyline R34 GT (sedan/coupe, 2.0l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R34 25GGT (sedan/coupe, 2.5l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R34 25GGT Four (sedan/coupe, 2.5l, 4WD, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R34 25GGT Turbo (sedan/coupe, 2.5l turbo, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R34 25GGT-X (sedan/coupe, 2.5l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R34 25GGT-X Four (sedan/coupe, 2.5l, 4WD, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R34 25GGT-X Turbo (sedan/coupe, 2.5l turbo, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R34 25GGT-V (coupe, 2.5l turbo, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R (coupe, 2.6l twin turbo, 4WD, 6MT)

Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R V-spec (coupe, 2.6l twin turbo, 4WD, 6MT)

Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R V-spec II (coupe, 2.6l twin turbo, 4WD, 6MT)

Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R V-spec II N1 (coupe, 2.6l twin turbo, 4WD, 6MT)

Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R M-spec (coupe, 2.6l twin turbo, 4WD, 6MT)

I have purchased a series 1.5 sedan from japan (don't have it yet) it has abs, driver airbag, working foglights, working rear wiper, no foldable cup holder, remote central locking, grey velour interior fabric, does not have individual clustors for instrument lights, just two sections left and right with all of them in it, has rear spoiler, thats about it. My question is after looking up the various models for the sedan, i don't understand which myne is. As it does not say its a type M or a type G? It is manual so according to all the lists posted its a type M but i feel it is not as it does not have the classic type M body kit. Wats going on here?

Forgot to say that it is turbo manual. The type g is a auto and the type m is a manual according to the list : http://imports.motortraders.net/imports/se...yline&period=76

Edited by 33Sedan

I will be getting my series 1.5 soon and will post the engine pic. Not sure if it is the series 2motor. the dealer said it was. Said it had the better turbo and updated ecu. Myne had the standard interior though (same as series 1) and the same looks as the series 1 (which i prefer) think its the best of both worlds if someone likes the looks of the series 1, get the motor from the s2.

• 1 month later...
Sure its just not a dash from a series 2? cuz there is no such thing as an r33 made in 1993 with dual airbags

Aug 1993-1995 R33 S1

http://imports.motortraders.net/imports/spec.asp?id=660

Jan 1995-1996 R33 S1

http://imports.motortraders.net/imports/spec.asp?id=636

Jan 1996-1997 R33 S1

http://imports.motortraders.net/imports/spec.asp?id=605

Jan 1996-1997 R33 S2

http://imports.motortraders.net/imports/spec.asp?id=607

• 3 weeks later...

my car is a 96 s2 na, the thing that looks really crap is it has 2 badges on the front!! yes 2 "s" one chrome one on the bonnet and another red underneath on a black plastic grill is this normal?it looks really sh!t and just wondering why this might be?? i am the first owner in australia.

the next thing would be which one should i take off and how would i go about doing it?

i think i should take off the chrome one?

does anyone know how the badges are attached onto the paint? would i be able to get it off easily and clean it off with some big kevs goo remover or will it rip off the paint under it and be screwd?

any help would be really helpfull, cheers

my car is a 96 s2 na, the thing that looks really crap is it has 2 badges on the front!! yes 2 "s" one chrome one on the bonnet and another red underneath on a black plastic grill is this normal?it looks really sh!t and just wondering why this might be?? i am the first owner in australia.

the next thing would be which one should i take off and how would i go about doing it?

i think i should take off the chrome one?

does anyone know how the badges are attached onto the paint? would i be able to get it off easily and clean it off with some big kevs goo remover or will it rip off the paint under it and be screwd?

any help would be really helpfull, cheers

sounds like your car has the grill that was an option on the s2....not the standard s2 grill which has no badge, or mesh.

if you really want to take 1 off, i'd try taking the red 1 off the grill. less chance you'll damage the paint etc....

• 2 months later...

Now that you have read through this whole thread, I went through it and selected all the things I could use for my own reference and thought youz would like it too. I am not sure that there are any others but if know of any others post em up!

Q; What is the difference between a series 1 and series 2 R33 Gtst?

A; There are several differences...

The front end of the series 2 is sharper, slimmer headlights, different front bar (indicators and fog lights are round and located at the bottom of the bar). The bonnet has much sharper ridges.

The "skyline" panel at the rear of the car is body coloured on the series 2.

The interior of the series 2 has been updated including different trim, a passenger airbag and the dash facia has been updated.

Mechanical differences include an updated ECU and a ceramic turbo.

The series 1 was in production from late '93 through to late '95.

The series 2 ran from early '96 through to early/mid '98.

More trivial things include

nissan badge that covers the keyhole in series 2 versus series 1

mild change in rear spoiler design.

both series 1 and 2 both had ceramic-turbined turbos though the camshafts between the two are not interchangeable

Also the S1 has an ignitor located on top of the motor at the back on the rocker cover near the firewall, whereas the S2 has the ignitor built into the ECU.

Also the Series 2 has a nicer steering wheel :/

Also, difference in front badging. S2 chrome and on the bonnet. S1 red and on grille.

And the one that everyone always seems to miss... the front shocks/springs are different. Rears are still the same thou. ****NOBODY CONFIRMED THIS*********

here is something else for you, in 1995 there was a series II also, it had the series I front, but had the series II engine, dual airbags, colour coded rear skyline badge, updated interior, different seat trim to 93-94, not the same as 96, series II instrument panel, series II floor mats.

everyone mixes answers to which turbo is which up this is the difference. the series one AND two exhaust wheels are ceramic, and prone to delaminating from the shaft, due to excess heat and resistance, resulting in bits of tubo stuck in your cat :P

The difference is in the intake side. The intake wheel of a series one turbo is steel, where in a series two (and even r34 gtt) has a nylon wheel. this results in a quicker spool up. the problem is not with the intake side of the turbo, its the exhaust, so if you had to compare the two, the series 1 turbo is no less likely to fail than a series 2 turbo.

Ive just about finished putting a motor out of a series 1.5 into my series 1. dunno if anyone cares, but the clips for the coil packs are a bit different, so i had to swap them and the harness from my blown series one motor and put them in the series two, but again, dont know if anyone cares about something so trivial...

I found a new one!! My series 2 had a little mis-fortune and needed a new Throttle position sensor. These are very different between the series 1 and 2 with the 2 having a pair of wiring loom entries and the series 1 only having a single wiring harness. It pays to check before ordering from Japan!!

I have a 93 series 1 that has dual airbags and front driving lights work (as stock) it's also got nice active lsd. (the slip and lsd lights are on the tacho). I'm new so i thought i post my 2 cents *****The original owner optioned this car well.******

As for the front rectangular indicator/foglight, there are 2 different types in the Series 1. Some have nothing in there and it is simply a white lense, whereas others have a foglamp there.

Mechanically Series 2 started at the beginning of 1995, though many will claim it was 1996. This is true if you judge a vehicle by cosmetics. 1995 saw the introduction of the updated ECU and ignition system. I’m not sure about an updated turbo though

the turbo difference is the nylon compressor wheel for quicker spool up in the series 2

the headlights on a s1 are headlights inside a plastic cover where the s2 are a bulb and lens behind cover.

Would the s2 lights fit in the s1 coz i have noticed the s2 lights are alot better.

You would need a S2 bonnet

Sunroofs were an option

I tried a series 1 aerial on my series 2 and it's different, the aerial plug is different, the S1 tube is fatter, thusly the screw on crome bit too and the angle of the grommets is heaps less. I mangled the S2 for the arial plug and fitted it, but the angle grommets FMU and it didnt two stage anymore. (notice that the plug surround on the S2 is yellow) With the slimmer tube they made the black outer grommet go through the panel to eliminate earthing / potential rust spot?

But simply, the Series 1 v Series 2 differences are in this thread, a series 1.5 looks like series 1 but has the series 2 motor (ie no ignitor pack)

From what I can gather ofF here the series 1 changed around late 95 to the 1.5 and changed again Jan/Feb to series II. The compliance plate under bonnet will tell you mine says Clicky 02/96 confirmed by FAST.

if its a 1995 then its a series 1 or series 1.5. no series 2 in 1995

the a-lsd diff has a finned cover around the diff housing. same as gtr v-spec diff. get the vin number and fast will tell you what model it is. it could have just had a front bar swapped for the series 2 front bar. the series 1 and series 2 engines are different and u can visually tell by looking at the throttle body

Also - don't forget that there is the 40th Anniversary SII.. such as mine :(..

it's got the GT-R adjustable rear wing.. and also mine has a nismo front bar.. which gets rid of the foglights and just has the blinkers.. apart from that - it's also got hicas and sunroof as options.. + 2 x 40th anv stictching in seats.. that's about it. really..

the 93-94 R33 dont have airbags as far as i know.

"1.5" or 95 models have drivers side...it might be an option, but most ive seen have it.

Are the stock front bar's of an S1 and S2 interchangeable?

i have heard that the bonnets/front lights will have to be replaced if you want to swap the front bar.

they dont NEED to be replaced but the lights stick out and the bonnet doesnt line up properly...so to do it right you need to change all of it

series 1 and series 2 r33 gearboxes have different clutch setup but are the same. series 2 has seatbelt holders that come off the a pillar to keep the seatbelt at easy reach. series 2 console has each warninig light in its own bevelled bubble where series 1 is completely flat and just has lights for each warning item

I bought a 40th anniversary and besides the badges it just came with a heap of extras like factory keyless entry with alarm, factory Skyline floor mats, front lip and the car is midnight purple. oh and has the light up skyline garnish thats under the boot lid

r32 gtst is known as series 1 or 2

r33 gtst is known as series 1 or 2

r34 gtt is known as series 1 or 2

r32 gtr unsure

r33 gtr known as series 1, 2 or 3

r34 gtr unsure

the 40th anniversary S2 R33 has a different crank angle sensor to normal S2 R33's....The same Hitachi unit as used by the R34. I wonder if any other engine components are shared?

It's "Type M" not M-Spec (M-Spec was a modeal variant for the R34 GTR)

- Series 1.5 is not an official model designation, however it's pretty much accepted that between 1995 and 1996 there were GTS25ts that had some attributes from both

- Only the GTR had a Series III. Not the GTS25t

here is a full list of skyline models in the r33 range

R33 1993-1998 Specs

(GT-R only from 1995-1996-1997-1998-1999)

Nissan Skyline R33 GTS (sedan, 2.0l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R33 GTS S (sedan/coupe, 2.0l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R33 GTS G (sedan, 2.0l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R33 GTS X (sedan, 2.0l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R33 GTS25 (sedan/coupe, 2.5l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R33 GTS25 S (coupe, 2.5l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R33 GTS25 G (sedan, 2.5l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R33 GTS25 X (sedan, 2.5l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R33 GTS25t M (sedan/coupe, 2.5l turbo, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R33 LSTS25t M (coupe, 2.5l turbo, FR, 5MT)

Nissan Skyline R33 GTS-4 (coupe, 2.5l, 4WD, 4AT/5MT

Nissan Skyline R33 GT-R (coupe, 2.6l twin turbo, 4WD, 5MT)

Nissan Skyline R33 GT-R V-spec (coupe, 2.6l twin turbo, 4WD, 5MT)

and just for the hell of it here is the r32 and r34 models list

R32 1989-1993 Specs

(GT-R 1989-1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995)

Nissan Skyline R32 GXi (sedan, 1.8l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R32 GTE (sedan, 2.0l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R32 GTS (sedan/coupe, 2.0l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R32 GTS S (sedan/coupe, 2.0l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R32 GTS-t (sedan/coupe, 2.0l turbo, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R32 GTS-t M (sedan/coupe, 2.0l turbo, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R32 GTS-4 (sedan/coupe, 2.0l turbo, 4WD, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R (sedan/coupe, 2.6l twin turbo, 4WD,

4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R V-spec (coupe, 2.6l twin turbo, 4WD, 5MT)

Nissan Skyline R32 GT-R V-spec II (coupe, 2.6l twin turbo, 4WD, 5MT)

R34 1998-1999-2000-2001 Specs

(GT-R 1999-2000-2001-2002)

Nissan Skyline R34 GT (sedan/coupe, 2.0l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R34 25GGT (sedan/coupe, 2.5l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R34 25GGT Four (sedan/coupe, 2.5l, 4WD, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R34 25GGT Turbo (sedan/coupe, 2.5l turbo, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R34 25GGT-X (sedan/coupe, 2.5l, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R34 25GGT-X Four (sedan/coupe, 2.5l, 4WD, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R34 25GGT-X Turbo (sedan/coupe, 2.5l turbo, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R34 25GGT-V (coupe, 2.5l turbo, FR, 4AT/5MT)

Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R (coupe, 2.6l twin turbo, 4WD, 6MT)

Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R V-spec (coupe, 2.6l twin turbo, 4WD, 6MT)

Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R V-spec II (coupe, 2.6l twin turbo, 4WD, 6MT)

Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R V-spec II N1 (coupe, 2.6l twin turbo, 4WD, 6MT)

Nissan Skyline R34 GT-R M-spec (coupe, 2.6l twin turbo, 4WD, 6MT)

in 1995 there was a series II also,

it had the series I front, but had the series II engine, dual

airbags, colour coded rear skyline badge, updated interior,

different seat trim to 93-94, not the same as 96, series II

i'm yet to see any interior different to the series 1 interior, and the series 2 interior....people claim that these "1.5's" have a different interior to both series 1 and 2, but i'm yet to see a single photo showing a non series 1 or 2 interior.