SAU Community

Rb25 Low Mounted Gt3540iw On A 6boost Manifold

Hi

After several years of good service my chinese, stainless low mount has cracked in half.

so im wondering if anyone has seen a low mounted gt3540 IW on a 6Boost or Extreme turbo manifold.

i need to order one sooner then later as my wife is without a car at the moment, so any ideas would be appreciated.

thanks

Darren

i know they both make them and that there products are very well made, however i also know that there manifolds dont mount the turbo in the standard position its rotated 90 degrees i think, so im wondering on if the gt35 will still fit with the internal gate etc side ways instead of the standard up and down configuration?

i dont want to fork out $1100 on manifold then find out it wont fit.

Yer it will fit lowmounted. I had an externally gated GT30 all low mounted and that fat fine.

The IW is longer, but not as wide, so i see no reason that a manifold made to suit couldnt fit the turbo as the dimensions are very similar to what i had.

Although, you'd best chat to the guys, im sure if you give them some rough dimensions they will work it out.

Its a common car, and equally common turbo config

But i've seen TA45's low mounted, so its definately possible, just need a new dump/lines possibly depending on how its made

whats wrong with using the std manifold? Not that i wouldnt suggest going for a better exhaust manifold, but if the power isnt enormous and its not going to restrict your setup in anyway then why not use the std piece? Or maybe get the std one power ported and use that. Just another option if your not too certain on the a/m ones with turbo placement and whatnot.

its on a built 25 with forged rods, pistons, cams etc running around 300 - 320kws at 22 psi.

running r33 auto with full built box and 3k high stall from MV Auto.

just looking at the low mount pics and they start getting a bit messy.

open the bonnet and theres pipes going everywhere.

so from a police point of view would high mounting the gt3582-iw be any better?

certainly looks a lot cleaner / stock.

hahahaha sort of....

I was going to suggest that. The manifolds aren't produced any more afaik and i only ever saw them to suit ex gate setups. Putting a gasket and a plate over the ex gate outlet will work fine. I have done that before when running a highflow on a high mount stainless manifold.

That said, i can't confirm whether the IW housing will fit in the space available

i was going to get a low mount manifold made by 6boost, for my gt3540 IW that i had,

he said it costs abit more than a high mount, and its not worth wild. As it would be tight as F#$k and the amount of heat being produced in a tight area. Even if you have to pull the turbo out at some stage would be a pain in the arse.

Direct quote from Kyle (6boost)

Keep in mind that in standard form, the factory manifold is only about 4" thick, and the turbo flange points straight at the block. The only manifolds that you can get that will fit in the standard location are those poxy stainless jobs that are absolutely horrid. I can't build you anything in the stock position, and can't see why you'd bother to, as there is no room to fit any type of decent collector. My low mount would be something similar to the one pictured in my thread here:http://www.calaisturbo.com.au/showthread.php?t=107446

I highly recommend you don't go low mount, they are very bad for transfering heat into the engine bay and make working on the engine a pain in the ass. However if you must have a low mount, the price is $1200 inc, and comes with studs, nuts, turbo gasket and lifetime warranty against cracking, defect and failure.

My vote for the HKS low cast manifold , cast/provision for ext gate/split pulsed/can take T3 or T4 flange . I also think that GT3540R (GT3582R) is a lot of turbo for the power . The difference in effort and money to go even a little over 300Kw seems to be vast and not always worth the outlay .

Mafia here went to a lot of effort to drag 300Kw out of his mechanically std R33 RB25DET and did so with a GT3076R possibly with the Garrett GT30 .63 A/R integral gate exhaust housing , or was it the .82 A/R ?

I've not been there myself but I think if you had the head ported and fitted Poncams the .82 A/R exhaust housing may give reasonable response depending on what you think is ok .

Cheers .

Just remember that UAS Extrusion hone the factory manifold to produce 25% - 35% more flow for $500.

Factory manifolds can be had almost for free.

I'd definately look into that..

So a search for "Extrusion" and "UAS" I'm sure you'll find plenty of info. There is a thread where they flow test etc.

Edited by The Mafia

he said it costs abit more than a high mount, and its not worth wild. As it would be tight as F#$k and the amount of heat being produced in a tight area.

I highly recommend you don't go low mount, they are very bad for transfering heat into the engine bay and make working on the engine a pain in the ass.

Umm... its actually the opposite mate.

A low mount is better for under bonnet temps than a high mount.

^ x2

Do a search on one of my threads on high vs low mounts.

Low mount is better in everyway except fitment of the turbo. My race car is currently changing from high to low, better centre of gravity, can sit further back in the engine bay (dump pipe is lower and allows closer placement to firewall).

Youll find sydneykid`s replies to the aforementioned thread the best. He converted me.

Umm... its actually the opposite mate.

A low mount is better for under bonnet temps than a high mount.

cheers guys

ive ordered a high mount Extreme Turbo Manifold to suit the internal gate gt3582r-iw,

and im contemplating ordering a greddy plenum to go with it, due to cross over pipe issues.

any thoughts?

no...greddy you lose some downlow....but achieve more midrange to topend. More so topend. But its neat and tidy and looks the part. Depends on how finicky you are with your setup. Other aftermarket plenums that maintain the std runners help keep the low to mid without sacraficing too much top end.

no...greddy you lose some downlow....but achieve more midrange to topend. More so topend. But its neat and tidy and looks the part. Depends on how finicky you are with your setup. Other aftermarket plenums that maintain the std runners help keep the low to mid without sacraficing too much top end.

having a 3k high stall convertor takes care of any low down loss, and the added flow ability with the new exhaust manifold should also help the power curve.

i was thinking the greddy plenum looks nice and neat without being overkill.