SAU Community

Police, Should I Be Angry?

From memory not having insurance in sydney is NOT illegal .. please correct me if im wrong because im not entirly sure however im 90% sure its not illegal.

Secondly im pretty sure out of rego, you driving it in sydney = fine .. you have to pay that one.

If you cant pay you have about 6 months before they send debt collectors which will cancel your licence etc.

hope that helps ring the RTA, from memory my cousin got done for writing "traffic" on a car and driving it to a mates for it to be wrecked. you have to contact the RTA to get a temp licence plate made to drive the car. So im pretty sure your done - however his fine amounted $1000 and over.

Hope ive helped some what.

mate it is 100% illegal to drive without insurance. after all they call it compulsory third party, not optional third party...

yes you can legally drive an unregistered car for the purposes of registration, but you must have an appointment at the workshop or inspection station and you must have all the relevant paperwork with you.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This will be no use to you now but may be useful next time.

If I have to drive a car in any state other than road-legal, I type up a letter of intent. In the letter, I write where I've come from, where I'll be going, and why. Where possible I include times and routes. I sign the letter in blue ink and date it.

This letter has helped me on two occasions. It helps establish in the mind of the officer that my trip is pre-meditated and for an appropriate purpose.

I was going off this Ash:

I read that as saying if you have your RWC and stuff ready (i.e. all paperwork ready to register), but your car is unregged you can drive it without needing a UVP (NB - talking about Victoria here!).

Ye, as i said "maybe its ok to the rego place". :)

Totally illegal otherwise.

But most people get the 7-day permit so it generally overlaps even if it doesnt need to do so.

I was always under the impression you can only drive an unregistered car to either a mechanic, testing station, or RTA to get things fixed or registered... U can always send in a letter like I did, however I was unsuccessful in my particular case and had to pay the fine, to the civic compliance (called that in VIC unsure if its the same everywhere else), explain ur situation and if they feel u were doing wat u were doing then they wave the fine.. costs u nothing.

Liam

You then proceeded to drive around and run a pedestrian over. You have no insurance, so that person will need to sue you to be compensated for their injuries which you caused, if you have no money, they don't get compensation, you get in a lot more trouble.

Then they sue the "Nominal Defendant" for compensation.

That's a fund where a small portion of your annual rego/CTP fees are automatically contributed to.

Unfortunately due to the high number of unregistered/CTP insured cars, the fund cops a caning.

Dude, thats hard luck, and also bull$hit

When I was getting my V35 registered and complied, I spoke to the RTA and without doubt you are allowed to driver an unregistered vehicle to get it inspected and registered.

I drove from Kirrawee, to Miranda RTA, was declined due to needing inspection, then drove homw to Fairfield area, then to Penrith 2 days later for inspection then back to fairfield to RTA. All in all over 100km's and every step was completely legal. I was actually passed by around 5 cop cars in the process, and was not pulled over once, even though i had no plates.

Fight it, cause it's wrong.

You get 1 month... 30 odd days notice for rego/ctp renewal.

CTP even sends you a renewal notice which you can pay via the intraweb.

Your own fault for leaving it so late.

Cops did their job.

As if they were ever going to believe "I'm on my way their now" line. even if it were true.

Bad luck mate.

pay it off, build a bridge.

Do you have comprehensive insurance?

"WHEN" your car gets stolen (being in sydney it's bound to happen), you'll be happy to know that undercover cops will randomly pull over skylines obiding by the law for a random check, and maybe find your car.

then you'll be singing a different tune no doubt.

I was told the same thing by the RTA in NSW as sigsputnick, write down exactly where you are going from and to for inspection etc as it is near on impossible for the Police to dispute ( unless you were doing something wrong of course). Also, why would you ask for advice like this on a forum when the NSW RTA website has the facts, as opposed to someones opinion...like mine..?

Regardless of why it was left so long, you are well within the law to drive an unregistered vehicle to get it registered, or have it fixed for registration, unless you have been specifically told by teh RTA not to drive it.

the bad thing is he didnt have the rego papers with him when he got caught....therefore he couldnt argue much since theres no proof that hes on his way to get it regoed (although he is going to).

Harsh indeed but ur on the wrong doing... try to dispute it & see if you can win it, but it might cost more than the fined amount due to solicitors fees etc =/

No point going to court.

You broke the law and thats how it is really.

the only way out of this is, (in vic anyway) if you have a receipt for a booking at the rta. not sure if it is the same in nsw.

Funny this I pulled over a guy doing the exact thing today but he stopped to get his mail from his PO BOX on the way to vic roads. Had his booking time and papers with him. I don't believe that getting your mail on the way fits into the criteria for getting car registered, but I let him off with a warning becasue I am nice.

Funny this I pulled over a guy doing the exact thing today but he stopped to get his mail from his PO BOX on the way to vic roads. Had his booking time and papers with him. I don't believe that getting your mail on the way fits into the criteria for getting car registered, but I let him off with a warning becasue I am nice.

You should have thrown the book at him..

called for backup, throw him in a paddy wagon.

locked him up.

done a burnout in his car.

then fined him for the burn out and illegal parking for where he left it as you dragged him to the cell by his ears.

and then, bring out the phone books.

Yep, I believe that is correct. If you're just going to drive the vehicle to the RTA, pay the rego it's alright to drive it unrego'd

edit: However, if you're taking it in for the pink slip and the rego it's kind of a bit of a grey area

Sucks you got stung but I think they where able to do that number on you without much chance of you getting out of it

I dont understand you did break the law, end of story you will have to cop it. You are allowed to purchase ctp (from suncorp or who ever) then drive a vehicle on the road with no registration plates or registration to your destination to have it registered, if its going to get a roadworthy before hand it has to be towed etc not driven on the road, What would have happened if you ran over someone or something even if its just around the corner you would be in deep sh*t and would not have a leg to stand on. Sorry not much you can do.

i know in qld you can drive your car in to get a roadworty, but first you must go to the dept of transport and get all the stuff sorted. i think it is ctp that you have to get. i haven't done it but the fella i used to work with did it a few times cause he lived out of town. he went to the dept of transport, did all the stuff he had to to temporarily drive an unregistered vehicle. i'm pretty sure it only gave you 24 hour period in which to do it.