SAU Community

Gps Devices

Bec

I've looked into getting these for our vans at work.

Through a few guys I know that work at JB, they have recommended avoiding the Navman. Forgot why, but they much more recommend either the TomTom or Garmin units.

I used to work at a Harvey Norman store and handled all returns/repairs for everything from the computer department.

From a repair point of view, how the company is to deal with, etc.

I would have to say my vote is with TomTom.

They freeze alot but its easily fixed. The majority of TomTom problems can be fixed by using the reset button they have on them. Other GPS devices have their problems but they arent as easily fixed. Also TomTom's service is here in australia.

Go for TomTom, youll be better off.

Old man has a Mio GPS in the car. Has touch screen, blutooth connectivity, speed/red light camera alerts, school zone alerts, speed and all this other bullshit. Was an expensive unit at around $700

Edited by krzysiu

I saw in the information on the websites for these that they also can calculte your speed. How accurate are they as a speedometer?

Believe it or not.. some units can be 100% spot on accurate.

Like Justin said before, you can also purchase (or get your self into a new plan) a new phone that has a navigation system if you're in need of a phone upgrade since most Nokia phones nowadays can now be also used a navigator. Nokia N95 and Nokia 6110 (Navigator) are the only ones that have a in-built GPS unit as far as i know. These phones pretty much have all features of a dedicated GPS navigation system like TomTom or Navman etc.. You simply press that "navigation" button on your phone, connects to the satellite and tells your exact position in a matter of 30-20 seconds or even less at times. Once it's connected, theres no drop outs and you're constantly updated live with your speed and other useless junk like ATM's, Take Aways, Service Stations etc.. You type in your desired location you wish to go to and it navigates you to that position on screen with voice instructions just like a ordinary gps navigation system.

If you don't like Nokia's Route 66 map/program, you can simply download TomTom 6 from the internet and use that software.

Nokia 6110 Navigator

nokia-6110-navigator-35-hsdpa-phone-gps.jpg

Nokia N95

95838.jpg

Edited by Barbarian

Through a few guys I know that work at JB, they have recommended avoiding the Navman. Forgot why, but they much more recommend either the TomTom or Garmin units.

Yup ... we pretty much sell Garmin > TomTom > Mio > Navman.

Personally l sell more garmins, as l prefer their layout, and they use premium mapping. They also have a lot better stands than what the TomTom One A/XL have. (don't wanna guess how many times l've had to re-stick them at work). We haven't had Mio's for a while, they were actually ranked 1st by Choice Magazine, and for the money they generally come with the most features. There are new one's coming out, look almost exactly like the Pioneer unit.

Pending on what your after, l'd either look at the Garmin 310 if u want something with everything, or wait a little & get the new Garmin 300 replacement which should be out soon.

Also to note, garmins bought after july 1 get a free map upgrade to the latest mapping released recently.

Oh ... agree bout tomtom service, only hassel being u have to send them to sydney. Garmin are located in Keysborough which is even better!

Edited by -FUZZY-

• 2 weeks later...
FWIW

Drive in today's Age had a "road test" of a few units

And the outcome was??? :thumbsup:

I've got a Nokia N95 and the included maps with it are shite. I've looked into loading the TomTom maps on it but I've heard they are bringing out a version where you don't have to have an external GPS receiver. Only problem is it's hard to get a satellite fix with an N95 whilst in your car. :D

i've got the nokia n95. well just got one for my gf. position in 20-30 seconds my arse! it takes about 3 or 4 minutes to get a fix first up, after that it's not too bad, but it keeps telling me to do farken u-turns all over the place! like even on major divided roads etc. it does recalculate routes pretty fast though. but I still reckon you are better off with a cheaper phone and a dedicated navi. the n95 does have some other benefits though like 5mp camera and wireless internet so you can surf for free anywhere with wireless, and even use VOIP like skype to make free phonecalls. :wave:

Like the man says... Dedicated Nav is best option, and no hassle from it. I got the 710 series-2, and it kix.

It locked 2 times in time I've had it, and quickly sorted by pressin the re-set button.

Anyone know if the "live traffic" part has been approved yet?

I wanted to get the new Pioneer one... ...but once I found out it is around $3000.oo... ...I went for the TomTom ONE XL... ...I don't need all the stuff the 910 and 710 do...

There are a few things I'd like it to do... ...Like stop my GF from fidgeting with the centre console latch... *click click click* ...and I wish it had a "learn" function... ...something where it would learn that I go down certain streets to get home to avoid the speed humps... ...and take that into account when I'm going home... ...and I haven't worked out how to hard wire the cig'-ligher power cord under the dash...

The other big drawback... ...and I think this has to do with the people that make the maps and not the units themselves... ...is that the fastest and the shortest route are almost always the same... ...but not always the fastest... ...I think this is because the people who do the maps here in Australia don't have all the speed limits on all the streets... ...or things like the number of lights at intersections... ...It will tell me to take Springvale Road when I know Westal Road is quicker because I don't have as many lilghts and I don't have the rail crossing... ...and Westal is 80 where Springvale can be as slow as 40 depending on the time of day...

Otherwise I love it...

=^_^=

I have a 6110, how do i go about getting tom tom maps onto it?

Currently you require an external GPS receiver to run TomTom maps On Nokia phones. But 'apparently' there is a version coming out where an external GPS receiver will not be required.

Keep an eye out on this thread:

http://www.n95users.com/forum/third-party-...ing-soon-8.html

Does anyone know if you can plan your own routes on the car GPS units?

doesn't anyone run the Road Angel 3000?

That's what i was thinking of getting too.

www.ryda.com have em for $325 + $13 delivery, well that's the best i can find other than ebay.

I realise these are cheaper probably for less features but i only want basic maps + some camera warnings considering I seem to be a bit blind to signs these days ;)

I have a tomtom and it shits me that you can't enter the street name first and then choose suburbs from a list, i get dodgy adresses all the time and if you don't know the area you're stuffed! Also had fun in Sydney It tells you to keep right keep right.... then you are off the motorway or doing harbour bridge / tunnel laps and paying tolls like crazy!

Mind you there are some pretty cool voice files

I have a Navman N40i and my old man has a Navman N60i (coz he has more $ than me).

I have used the TomTom XL and One and I didn't really like the clarity of the screens where the Navmans are a higher priced unit but the screens are very sharp and clear and they also repeat the next direction a few times incase you miss it the first time.

Its a hard call as everybody likes one and hates another but I went for the nice looking screen for a few exta $$$ :P