SAU Community

Turbocharging a VT V6 Auto

anyone got any ideas on if this would be better than supercharging?

also anyone got any ideas on what needs to be done eg change of gearbox etc

anything would be appreciated as im trying to convince my bro in law to do this rather than supercharging

cheers

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The boxes are strong but not very smooth. Plenty of hot up parts for the boxes as theyare the same 4 speed out of the Corvette.

Budget, budget, budget. I think a supercharger kit (CAPA etc) would be cheaper at what i think is about $5k

Cool to see someone do twin turbo though

compression would be an issue as well though. those V6 engines were built for family commuting and therefore low down torque and not all-out power.

if you turbo-ed it you could probably only run 5-6psi safely

personally i wouldnt bother with a holden 6. get a nissan 6 or a v8 :P

adam i tried to convince him not to buy it and buy a skyline... he wouldnt be in it

then he wasnt gonna modify it...

now he wants 2

either supercharge or turbo it

just wondering whta would be better

well theyre both forms of forced induction. one aimed at torque and one at max power. given the characteristics of the engine id suggest supercharging it. but its getting blood out of a stone really - its never going to be a super-quick car on a budget. it would be more financially viable to trade it in and start a performance car project with a more suited car

A couple of ideas,

1. buy an eaton (roots type) blower from holden, the blower itself is alot cheaper from them than if you source one from CAPA (ie under 2k), or

2. buy an RB20, do a conversion - may even be cheaper than a blower, definately cheaper than 2 turbos - and better fuel economy to boot :)

Read zoom, as they have done an RB conversion into a vs... I was going to put an RB25 into my VS berlina but it wasnt worth the time or money... too heavy and a VT is heavier.

Out of the two i would choose turbo for the 3800, always more tractable and fun, but still easy on the engine if you drive slow... but like others have said it depends on your budget.

I remember also in zoom they did a twin turbo conversion using oem turbos and doing it as cheap as possible on a falcon 6 and did it for under $5000.

There is also a single turbo holden 6 up here in brisbane that hardcore performance built and made 320hp at the wheels with low boost but forged pistons so he can raise the boost later.

There are a million things to consider.....

Whack the standard Holden supercharger on it & use a smaller pulley.

That way the supercharger spins faster & you get more power.

A mate of mine is an engineer at Tickfords.

They did this when the supercharged Commodore was first released.

He reckons they got awesome power out of it until it exploded!

Still, a milder version of this extreme experiement should work.

Guest INASNT
Originally posted by KILLER-T

heres an idea tell him to burn it:shake: :shake:

i second that, then tell him to get a decent engine, those old school buicks dont have much in reserve for power output with forced induction.

The NA Holden V6 is significantly different to the supercharged variant. From memory the heads arent interchangeable, nor is the blower a simple bolt on, mods are required.

I still think a CAPA or equiv kit is the cheapest/best option.

Only an idea... but if budget permits, sell the std V6, buy a supercharged engine, rip off the blower and selll it too, then go the twin turbo route. Should be able to run about 10psi on RB20 turbos or similar for a good hit of torque and hp.

Its always so easy to tell people how they should spend their money.

Superchargers on the VS's and VT's etc when slapping a smaller pulley don't tend to make much more top end power. However the mid range increases dramatically but it is still a slowish car that will have a hard time with the new R8's not to mention another Boosted skyline.

I personally would go turbo as in the long run you will save money on fuel compared to a supercharger. Turbo's are free horsepower superchargers are not.

Twin turbo wouldn't be to difficult to do. You would need to be able to remap the standard ECU when I think some one in adelaide is able to do. 2 x manifolds for each bank close to 2k.. The two RB20DET Turbo's $800. It really doesn't add up to that much. I think it could be done for 5k pretty easily providing you don't run the Injectors etc out of scope. Then it starts costing money and work on the internals.