SAU Community

M35 Info

Brazen

hey guys,

I am looking into M35's atm (something like an AR-X). Only concern is fuel consumption and reliability! What sort of fuel consumption and reliability can I expect? (Assuming I dont thrash/bost all the the time and drive sedately). Can I expect problems such as, blown turbos, broken gearboxes, electrical problems? Would I be right in assuming that the running costs would be a fair bit higher than a local wagon/sedan? Sorry if the question seems vauge.

Edited by Dilan

hey guys,

I am looking into M35's atm (something like an AR-X). Only concern is fuel consumption and reliability! What sort of fuel consumption and reliability can I expect? (Assuming I dont thrash/bost all the the time and drive sedately). Can I expect problems such as, blown turbos, broken gearboxes, electrical problems? Would I be right in assuming that the running costs would be a fair bit higher than a local wagon/sedan? Sorry if the question seems vauge.

The fuel economy figures can be found earlier in this thread, please have a read, plenty of other info in this thread too!

The M35's a very reliable.

That said, they do have a ceramic wheel turbo which can let go if the exhaust does not flow well enough.

There are 2 that I know of on these boards that have had turbo's replaced (mine being one of them).

Running costs are generally very good.

I do service mine every 10,000kms and use expensive fluids, so I suppose in that respect they cost more (If I had a falcodore, I would not care what was put in it, but because I love my cars, I would never have a falcodore in the firs pace!).

You can have them serviced at a decent dealership if that is what you are inclined to do and they cost no more than a Maxima.

People seem to think that because it is an import, they cost more to run, and something I am trying to drill into my brother's head, but this is not the case... unless you are talking about weather deflectors!

Cheers for the reply. Yeah, while searching I came across the turbo problems the two of you had, had. My other major worry was about the gearbox being 'sealed for life'...this didnt go down too well on my old car at 150,000 clicks (so much for full service history :D ). I also didnt come across too many electrical problems that ppl have had, guess there aren't too many or they havent surfaced yet. It seems my conerns are not that common problems. Servicing (fluids, brakes etc) is something I can do, major repairs probably not. So in that respect I guess things shouldnt be too bad.

Edited by Dilan

Cheers for the reply. Yeah, while searching I came across the turbo problems the two of you had, had. My other major worry was about the gearbox being 'sealed for life'...this didnt go down too well on my old car at 150,000 clicks (so much for full service history :D ). I also didnt come across too many electrical problems that ppl have had, guess there aren't too many or they havent surfaced yet. It seems my conerns are not that common problems. Servicing (fluids, brakes etc) is something I can do, major repairs probably not. So in that respect I guess things shouldnt be too bad.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about the Gearbox. There are more Nissan's that have a similar setup than you would think.

I have just passed 140,000km's and the only drama has been the turbo/exhaust issue and the passenger wheel bearing (quickly replaced by a decent dealership).

Depends on what you want to do to it.

If you want to leave the car pretty stock (maybe add an exhaust), I don't think you will have many troubles. They are a really well put together car overall.

However, I would imagine that if want to go for say, 300awkw, you may find a few issues.

I would like to see 230-250awkw reliably out of mine at some point and don't think that is unreasonable.

Thing is, nobody has really pushed these things.

I think NRVOUS is "dipping his foot", as am I to some extent (albeit quite slowly) to see what these things can do.

I do think they have a fair amount of potential though.

hey guys,

Fuel consumption with my M35 RS4 in brisbane is about 11.5-12L/100km daily - (thats including about 10-20% driving on motorways) - and 9.8L/100km on the open highway mostly sitting on 110km/h. Thats pretty close to the locally made wagons I'd say - and when you consider that my purchase price was also equivalent to a falcodore wagon of the same year/kms the only thing really that was more expensive is insurance, and only by about $350 a year. Fuel costs a little more because you need to use premium, but you end up with a MUCH better car for your money. Its not worth comparing these to a falcon or commodore. Either you want the cheapest car or the best car...thats all there is to it. Maybe I'm a little biased? but I dont think you can beat a stagea on value for money (in a wagon).

Provided you're a safe/responsible driver and dont have outrageous plans to modify it beyond its limits, I dont believe it would be much more expensive than a locally made wagon, and you end up with a much better car in my opinion.

My stagea is completely stock btw. :down:

I just drove 1500km over the last 2 days in my new 2001 ARX and it averaged 10.8 L/100km, however during the first 200km it was going through 12.4 L/100km while I was "learning" all about the new car ;) A/C on all the way - it's been hot in NSW/VIC this week!

My impressions:

Very comfortable - I did the whole trip by myself and didn't once get out of the car sore or overly tired. The leather was fine, although I haven't tried the cloth seats.

The tiptronic system seems to be a waste of time for the most part EXCEPT when cruising at 110km/h. I found that if I left it in "D", I just needed to flex my big toe and the revs would flare and it would take off - I often found myself doing 130 without even realising it. By putting it in tiptronic mode and leaving it in 5th I found the revs didn't rise as easily (torque converter locked up?) and it was much easier to maintain 110km/h. Tiptronic mode for driving hard? It just seemed too slow...too soft. It can sometimes take a few seconds to move up a gear, and I often found myself changing AGAIN because I thought the first change hadn't worked...

The ride - in my opinion - is fine. Sure, it moves around a little bit on big undulations, but I haven't come from a highly modified ride (like I expect many of you would have), so I found it to be comfortable but very sure-footed. I had originally planned on fitting some bilsteins after reading some info on here, but I really don't think it's worth it now.

I love it, and I'm sure the wife will enjoy driving it (when she gets a chance!).

Hey everyone,

I'm currently considering getting a Stagea M35, I'm booked in for a test drive tomorrow.

I wanted to post the pics and some details just to see if you guys think it's a good deal and I should take the plunge and go for it!

-----

2.5 ltr Turbo RS-Four

53,000km

Display screen TV

Volt, Temp and Boost gauges

Sport exhaust

Dual sunroof

Factory bodykit

Arrive into Australia 3 weeks ago

Comes with 6 months rego

$19,000 not negotiable

---------

So what do you guys reckon?? Should I do it!!

Stephen

post-59561-1233187136_thumb.jpg

post-59561-1233187208_thumb.jpg

post-59561-1233187233_thumb.jpg

post-59561-1233187260_thumb.jpg

post-59561-1233187284_thumb.jpg

post-59561-1233187312_thumb.jpg

post-59561-1233187337_thumb.jpg

post-59561-1233188459_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bis-e Bee

wow they actually look pretty good in that red colour!

looks like its got an aero kit without front driving lights.

looks in good nick.

So I gather that is a thumbs up from you? :P

Good stuff, I will have to get a set of front driving lights!!

Anyone got the part number on hand? :)

Stephen

they are probably rare as hens teeth, and there is additional wiring and a extra switch and a relay next to the airbox (i have the driving lights :P) so it might be a pain in the ass to wire up.

anyway, if the car runs well and you think its worth the money go for it!

damn they look so much better with the black interior!

they are probably rare as hens teeth, and there is additional wiring and a extra switch and a relay next to the airbox (i have the driving lights :P ) so it might be a pain in the ass to wire up.

anyway, if the car runs well and you think its worth the money go for it!

Looks like a workshop can do the driving lights then :D

I've done some looking around on-line and this model with similar KM's is like $22000 +, so am I wrong in thinkiing $19000 is a bargain?

I just know it's going to drive awesome, better get my cheque book ready :)

Stephen

yeah private prices are a little lower than dealers. ive seen some other M35s for similar prices to yours. one was lower, but from the pics you could tell the front had been resprayed.

i take it your in NSW/sydney? youll have to come to a meet up one thursday night and show us all!

im sure a workshop could easily do the wiring. but youll need to find the lights to go in there first!

yeah private prices are a little lower than dealers. ive seen some other M35s for similar prices to yours. one was lower, but from the pics you could tell the front had been resprayed.

i take it your in NSW/sydney? youll have to come to a meet up one thursday night and show us all!

im sure a workshop could easily do the wiring. but youll need to find the lights to go in there first!

This is a dealer!!! But it looks immaculate, will have a good peek tomorrow and check it out.

As for the meet, most definatly. Do you guys do a different location every time or you have a fav spot?

Cheers

Stephen

Hey everyone,

I'm currently considering getting a Stagea M35, I'm booked in for a test drive tomorrow.

I wanted to post the pics and some details just to see if you guys think it's a good deal and I should take the plunge and go for it!

-----

2.5 ltr Turbo RS-Four

53,000km

Display screen TV

Volt, Temp and Boost gauges

Sport exhaust

Dual sunroof

Factory bodykit

Arrive into Australia 3 weeks ago

Comes with 6 months rego

$19,000 not negotiable

---------

So what do you guys reckon?? Should I do it!!

Stephen

Looks Nice Stephen.

I was just looking at this one on Carpoint. (I like to have a look at what is around from time to time)

If it comes with a 12 month warranty, it would seem like a good deal.

They do look very nice in the red.

Check that the gauge cluster works properly. If one of the gauges is faulty, you will have to replace the entire cluster.

Yeah, but I think that the Black leather interior would definitely top the red off.

Still like those cloth seats... Very comfy!