SAU Community

Famous Classic Car Insurance

hey ive tryed most insurence places and they just wont give me it... im 23 only had accident and trying to get insurence for a 1993 180sx turbo and no one will give it to me ive shannons and famous and even tried some companys from melbourne ans sydney what do you guys think

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I had an online quote of $4240 with Justcars and my renewal with them was $3400... Big difference straight away!

Just got off the phone with Olivia from Famous and got a quote of $2890. Much better than both! and Just cars was the cheapest I could find last year. This is living in a 19 point suburb with rating 4 and no convictions.

Interesting to note though that the car is set to market value of $22000. I was told that this cannot change until my 12 months insurance is up, so pretty much an agreed value. yeah?

Go famous! Just have to figure out how to take up their offer... :)

Have just swapped from justcars to famous and i am VERY VERY happy indeed. I have every confidence that they are reliable, above board in every way and that they will have NO hesitation in paying legitimate claims. Robyn was great and we ended up being on the phone for about 45 mins.

Again, thankyou famous. Cannot reccommend you highly enough.

Adrian

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Clint32

Anyone know if Famous or any others will give third party, fire, theft on a skyline, i can get third party for bugger all but the fire/theft not many will do, and i dont wont to pay 2k for comprehensive anymore.

Yeah, just cars do 3rd party fire and theft, but ur only covered to a max of about $5000 for theft, minus ur excess which will probably be $1000 or so. It probably wont be that cheap anyway, like $500 a year?

So basically u dont get shit:

If u want to be covered in case of ur car being stolen, u have to get comprehensive. Thats why its so damn expensive, coz a stolen car costs a lot to get replaced.

Yeah but there is more probability that you will crash than your car will get stolen, well it is for most cars, except skylines. Its easy to get third party fire theft on most cars just not high theft risks. I think you can get 10K, max for theft which is better than nothing and when you save nearly 2K a year on insurance its worth the risk.

Here is something that I stumbled upon from another au car forum regarding famous:

After ringing them up and getting a quote, they seem to want to match or even better other companies quotes (very unrealistic for an insurance company), also they seem to ask the same questions twice during the quote (very unprofessional) and asked some stupid questions and left out questions that other companies insist on asking. I also rang the Insurance complaints scheme (refered to them from Dept of Fair Trading) and they advised that they are not registered with them and if they refused to pay on a claim, you would have to challenge them under the laws that apply in Guernsey, in Guernsey. They advised me to stay clear of any off shore insurance companies including this one as the risk is just too high.

So from my research, I think taking the safe road and staying clear is what I am going to do, even if it costs me a few bucks extra in the short term.

The above is not my personal opinion but the thing to note is

".. if they refused to pay on a claim you would have to challenge them under the laws that apply in Guernsey, in Guernsey"

At least with an AU insurer, you can just ring up the hotline - if its offshore, you will most likely have to fly to the country, then hire lawyers there ... which will cost you big bucks.

Please let me again stress that the above was a quote and not my findings - however, I don't have reason to believe it was fabricated.

"Famous" is a insurance broker - they are not an insurance company, even though the directors are also directors of Heritage. Bottom line is brokers are not legally liable for the insurance company (Heritage) ability to pay or refuse a claim.

They may possibly get you to "take it up with Heritage" (ignoring the fact that the directors are also directors of Heritage). Even Famous webpage states that Famous is not under "the jurisdiction of the Australian Predential Regulation Authority. "

Don't take this as negative comments about Famous, I am not personally with them so I cannot comment, but take it as information to make a informed decision.

Famous might pay out every claim (as long as nothing is illegal of course), but if they don't then the 1000-2000 you save with going with them instead of a AU insurer will be pennys if you have to fly internationally and sue an international company that might not even be legally liable to international clients.

My new policy started on monday. On the phone it sounds like the business is run out of a garage but oh well i'm insured.

1995 R33 GTS-T

$26,000

21yrs old

Western Sydney

1 Speeding offence

40% NCB

= $2,760

Originally posted by fooey

Famous might pay out every claim (as long as nothing is illegal of course), but if they don't then the 1000-2000 you save with going with them instead of a AU insurer will be pennys if you have to fly internationally and sue an international company that might not even be legally liable to international clients.

fooey, I just want to clarify further. Famous Classic is an Australian company with Australian directors. These directors are personally liable under Australian law for debts of the company. If they don't pay for some reason, you have every right to sue them under Australian law.

What you can't obviously do in Aus is sue the underwriter, this goes for any overseas underwritten or re-insured company.

Ppl driving skylines always have problems with getting insurance, these guys are offering good prices, and there are a number of people here who have successfully made claims from these guys.

I am 23 turning 24 soon.

Never had an accident and have a clean record.

My rating 2 qoute was for $1,168 from Just Car, Famous could not beat it.

My car is a 94' skyline gtst, agreed value of 16k.

I am currently rating 3 but will be having rating 2 next year.

My bro is rating 4, qouted for $2,200, he is only 19 with the similar driving record. Famous qouted $3,200.