SAU Community

New Girl To Skylines...

Hi! Just bought my first skyline, a '96 R33 GTS-4 (auto, non turbo, stock) straight from Japan.. I hardly know a thing about cars so if you could throw any basic advice for looking after it or general advice/tips about the car, please feel free to post (in layman terms only!).. oh but don't worry about mods advice as my bank account won't allow for it anytime soon lol... thanks all!! =D (

1. Use premium 98RON petrol all the time

2. Service once every 7,500-10,000 kms

3. Don't use cheap tyres

Other than that there really isn't much since you have the non-turbo model and aren't planning any mods.

they are a really reliable good car

they need to use premium petrol. and should get a full service once you get it. the interia is pretty durable. getting it detailed is a good idea.

being a non turbo you can get away with an oil change every 7-10000kms. using a good synthetic 10w-40 type oil.

what happens if i use the normal unleaded petrol?

Your engine may start knocking which is basically kills the engine slowly.

Read more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

Definitely use 98 premium petrol. Requiring higher cost premium petrol is one of the financial drawbacks of owning an imported Japanese car so you just have to deal with it. If you don't you will be paying more in the long run if the engine dies and needs to be rebuilt.

There's also no gains in using the lower/cheaper fuel. The car's tuned to 100ron fuel and if you run it on 95ron, you'll get shittier mileage (you'll have to fill up more meaning more money). Just buy the good fuel straight away and you'll protect your engine and have a heavier wallet.

Just service your car like any other.

100"ron"? (layman terms please). can i buy that at the normal petrol stations? i'll likely be pumping unleaded95 or premium98. my car's not for racing or performance, it's just a daily driver... still, i don't want to do anything to intentionally kill my engine =S

100"ron"? (layman terms please). can i buy that at the normal petrol stations? i'll likely be pumping unleaded95 or premium98. my car's not for racing or performance, it's just a daily driver... still, i don't want to do anything to intentionally kill my engine =S

RON is just a measurement of the octane level in the fuel (how "pure" the fuel is).

In Australia we have 91,95,98RON fuels.

I wouldn't even use 95RON and stick with the 98RON fuels. That is:

Caltex Vortex 98

Shell Optimax

BP Ultimate

Mobil Synergy 8000

Stick with 98 premium. It drives better and has more mileage than 91/95 unleaded anyway. Skylines actually need it because our fuel isn't as good as Japanese fuel (they have 100 octane rating as said above) so you need the best possible fuel to keep as close the conditions the Skyline was built for.

Service it like the guys said and she'll last you a long time. Very strong cars. Good choice :P

RON is just a measurement of the octane level in the fuel (how "pure" the fuel is).
Correct it is a measure of octane rating, but that is a measure of how much compression it can handle before knocking occurs.

High octane fuels aren't just for racing or performance, generally they are also more refined (cleaner for your engine).

As said, the engine was designed for higher octane fuels, so don't use regular (91) or premium (95) if you can help it.

I had a N/A R33 for my first car,

It will survive on 95 fuel

but 98 is the best to use

I used to always run it on 95 when I was only working part-time & the car ran fine, just when I put 98 fuel it ran that little bit better

Had the car for 2 and a half years, still see the new owner getting about with it on the road looking exactly like the day I sold it,

brings back good memories

Congratulations on your purchase :P

Edited by Yo-Yo

hurro

i had a auto R33 GTS4 aswell non turbo 1993, also stock.

awsome cruisers, nice to drive and very comfortable. i remember 1 day i went for a 5 hour drive just coz i felt like it and only stopped once for petrol and once for a drink

had it for about 6 months and only used normal unleaded fuel and previous owner used normal unleaded aswell. car always ran just fine never broke down or anything

its only a non turbo so just service it regularly (every 7000-10,000Ks) and it'll be just fine.

with the cheap fuel and normal sort of driving you'll get 500Ks per tank easily. i used to get about 380-450Ks but with my kind of driving...

best of luck with it :D

Edited by R-SPEC

I'm not sure how your rating is compared to here in canada.. but I use 87 octane in my Daily driver non turbo GTS and 94 in my GTS-4..

we only have 87, 89, 91, and 94 at the pumps here.. 100 octane in japan = about 95 here in canada.. so 94 is the best we can do..

but the N/A doesn't need the higher octane gas.

I'm not sure how your rating is compared to here in canada.. but I use 87 octane in my Daily driver non turbo GTS and 94 in my GTS-4..

we only have 87, 89, 91, and 94 at the pumps here.. 100 octane in japan = about 95 here in canada.. so 94 is the best we can do..

but the N/A doesn't need the higher octane gas.

Oh hectic you're Canadian :( I didn't think anyone outside Oz or NZ would be interested in SAU! This is like, a moment for me...Skylines have brought us all together lol. You guys have right-hand drive? Or you drive like Americans? :rolleyes:

Aaahhh sounds like Canada has pretty crappy petrol/gas. I thought we had it bad compared to Japan, but you have only 94-5 octane? Does the car (albeit an N/A) run ok?

Edited by R338OY