Hoons Cars Will Be Destroyed And Footage Will Be Shown

Auto Group Buy

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the problem with this whole plan is that is escalates a civil/traffic offence into a criminal offence.

if you have Mr. A. and he is cruising along a deserted highway (marked 110) at 135 in his modified holden commodore GTS (worth say $60,000), he has a history of speeding offences at the rate of about 1 a year. now he sees a police car closing in on him lights and sirens ablaze. under current law he is looking at a fine, he will incur demerit points and possible loss of licence. he is quite likely to pull over and take it like a man. he may or may not change his behaviour but most likely he will at least reconsider the way he drives on the road.

under this proposed law, same situation. he is now looking at loosing $60,000. It's plausible that he will decided to take his chances and outrun the cops as loosing $60,000 is a punishment that in no way reflects the seriousness of his crime and will cause him severe financial hardship for years to come. Now once he makes this conscious desicion to evade lawful arrest then he is in a whole new league of offences. Plus as he now accelerates to get away the risk of a serious accident to him or the pursuing officers becomes pretty high. He will be determined too as if he is caught now not only will he loose his $60,000 car, he will be looking at possible jail time. He's now involved in criminal behaviour and is definitely dangerous to others on the road.

lol,

Iemma trying to shift focus off his shocking record as premier.

Here's a novel suggestion for you Morris, stop wasting time announcing stupid proposals that focus on less than .01% of motorists and do something about public health, education and transport.

the problem with this whole plan is that is escalates a civil/traffic offence into a criminal offence.

if you have Mr. A. and he is cruising along a deserted highway (marked 110) at 135 in his modified holden commodore GTS (worth say $60,000), he has a history of speeding offences at the rate of about 1 a year. now he sees a police car closing in on him lights and sirens ablaze. under current law he is looking at a fine, he will incur demerit points and possible loss of licence. he is quite likely to pull over and take it like a man. he may or may not change his behaviour but most likely he will at least reconsider the way he drives on the road.

under this proposed law, same situation. he is now looking at loosing $60,000. It's plausible that he will decided to take his chances and outrun the cops as loosing $60,000 is a punishment that in no way reflects the seriousness of his crime and will cause him severe financial hardship for years to come. Now once he makes this conscious desicion to evade lawful arrest then he is in a whole new league of offences. Plus as he now accelerates to get away the risk of a serious accident to him or the pursuing officers becomes pretty high. He will be determined too as if he is caught now not only will he loose his $60,000 car, he will be looking at possible jail time. He's now involved in criminal behaviour and is definitely dangerous to others on the road.

fair post, however, the confiscation and destruction of vehicles relates to street racing, not speeding...

post for clarity

fair post, however, the confiscation and destruction of vehicles relates to street racing, not speeding...

post for clarity

Which goes back to the definition of "Street racing" What does it mean, and how well to the letter will the police force obide by it?

eg. Will they ping a pink echo with dolls and toys around the car for "street racing" or a perfromance car?

Where does it say on the RTA website about "Street racing"?

is this actually ON or just being proposed???
Premier Morris Iemma says the plan proposes to destroy hoons' cars in demonstration tests under controlled conditions.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/well-d...4766541131.html

post for clarity

yeah I know, but that's part of my point. who determines what is street racing? what is just speeding? what is just speeding beside/near a car that also happens to be speeding? that's the problem, the whole thing is very subjective.

yeah I know, but that's part of my point. who determines what is street racing? what is just speeding? what is just speeding beside/near a car that also happens to be speeding? that's the problem, the whole thing is very subjective.

exactly

if some guy in a Ferrari is doing 150km/h on a freeway, and a dude in a Lambo blasts past and the Fezza accelerates- does that count as street racing?

reckon their cars would ever be crushed? yeah right...

if something like this ever comes in, i say it has to be mandatory that the police have hard, reliable video AND radar evidence to support the claim (not just the lies of a cop defending his ass in court), and that the person needs to be convicted at least 3 times of the same offence

Don't worry to much, Standard police cars are forced to stop acclerating harder than 150km/h. For them to exceed this speed is an offence. Highway patrol is another matter.

Don't worry to much, Standard police cars are forced to stop acclerating harder than 150km/h. For them to exceed this speed is an offence. Highway patrol is another matter.

It also depends on the class of licence that the officer has as well as what car they are in.

And if also instructed to via radio by their supervisor, most of the time (in built up residential areas or time of day) they are usually called off by the supervisor even if they can chase them (Capable car/licence).

Then again you get the odd case where the officer(s) in pursuit is instructed to terminate the pursuit but the officer(s) still continue for a few km's. (After the fact that they have said yes pursuit terminated). There were a few smh articles about this a while back.

wth point is there in running? unless your plates are covered you are fuxord anyway. i personally have no problem with the cars being confisticated. crushing themis a huge waste though. in an ideal world these cars could be sold and the money put back into legal venues for us to let loose in. dont see it happening anytime soon though

I think there's a case for discrimination.

Article 26

All persons are equal before the law and are entitled without any discrimination to the equal protection of the law. In this respect, the law shall prohibit any discrimination and guarantee to all persons equal and effective protection against discrimination on any ground such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status.

International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights

...when you are targeted for simply owning something which is the target of specific laws is as much an act of discrimination as 'looking like you're up to no good'

Now, while the UN charter is broad and not entirely specific about targeting people owning cars, it does have a fundamental human rights basis.

Because I don't doubt it will be abused, publicly and people will lose property simply on the subjective opinion of police officers just so politicians can look like they're doing something useful aside from wasting our rates on private roads and tunnels.

They want this to work, having committed themselves this far, to back down will look like they're (the politicians) weak and ineffective, just as the counter terrorism laws end up failing time and time again. Officers are told to make it work to make it look like there is a real danger so it won't be seen as a waste of taxpayers money.

They won't be particularly fussy about who gets squashed.

Alls said and done, I'm very non-political (I think most politicians are c**ts regardless of party) and I don't endorse speeding or racing around on public roads where there's a threat to public safety. But I see a lot of people getting very hard done by when they're unable to front up money in court to defend themselves properly against horseshit charges simply because the cop decided to not like them/had a bad day or just doesn't like the type of car they drive. Or worse yet, when they're told specifically- "take this kind of property off the roads, an example needs to be made."

Edited by MK2

well said MK2

it would be upto the cop to determine if it was racing or speeding, kind of like defects

people who have engineering certificates and the like still happen to get fined and defected, might be the same with this proposed law.

and yes a video type of surveillance MUST be included in the police vehicle which can not be turned off at will by the officer.

This will be needed so the accused has some sort of evidence and not just his word against an officer.

As we know in court a officers word would be more trusted than a so called "street racer"

if this does get passed, dont be surprised if alot of police officers get abused and possibly attacked while pulling over racers.

I got a letter the other day from the RTA urging me to improve my driving habits.

I think they should send the same thing to street racers.

It made me re-think my actions.

I got a letter the other day from the RTA urging me to improve my driving habits.

I think they should send the same thing to street racers.

It made me re-think my actions.

how many point u accrued Lizzzzard?

I reckon it's way over the top. I dont condone the government taking peoples possesions unless it's a big crime (rape/murder/theives/drug smuggling).

What is hooning exactly? A burnout? Who the hell is that going to kill? Sure it's stupid unnecessary attention seeking most of the time, but it's not as dangerous as a granny driving >10k/h. Does hooning refer to any jap car with a loud exhaust? Is hooning excessive speeding? If so, why is "racing" different to excess speeding? They're the same shit to me. Why single out "racers" from excessive speeders? I've seen people do well over the speedlimit in normal commodores/corollas/civics. Why aren't these people singled out targetted? Crush their cars.

A drunk driver is just as dangerous yet they still only lose their license for 6months if they're double the legal limit (0.1). Crush their cars.

Also ban poor drivers.

Car theives - 10yrs jail minimum (no bail) + crush their cars.

Stupid media hype as usual targetting "hotted up" cars like they are the root cause of the worlds problems. Sure, most cars i see should be given a fine just for looking the way they are (i've left written notes on peoples cars saying how shit their car looks), this doesn't mean we should all categorise them as the worlds scum. I see plenty of people who i'd love to offend by telling them how stupid they look in what they're wearing and how their hair is. Mardi gras anyone? Crush their wardrobes.