SAU Community

Gym And Supplement Discussion

avrahan

I like 'STFU and squat'

what about

shhhhh...

...squatting in progress

I went to the gym with a mate yesterday... his gym, some commercial one

he admitted to me he hadn't squatted in a few weeks... so we squatted... he then admitted it had been more like a month or two... had been doing leg press/leg curls instead

apparently he can't walk properly today hehehe

his bench 1RM ended up the same as his squat 1RM... he has some work to do... has very good technique though, nice and deep on the squats and benched to his chest... only started training earlier this year... already has significant physique changes

I've started chopping my squats high.

gotta save the knees - yes I've read everything about deep squats being better for the knees etc.. but my pains tell me different.

only concern is if they are still low enough for comp.

Will know April I guess.

Edited by TTT

you're inviting the guys to look? maybe this:

DON'T

LOOK

DON'T

TOUCH

Well apart from the fact that they will have to look in my direction to read the tee, I don't think I'm going to be able to stop where guys direct their eyes. And honestly I couldn't give a toss as long as they don't interrupt me and aren't looking with these eyes:

creepy-stare-cage.jpg

I like 'STFU and squat'

what about

shhhhh...

...squatting in progress

Hehe I like the shhh squatting in progress, that's really good :)

Trouble with STFU and Squat is that I don't think it's going to get the message across. They'll think I'm just promoting squatting where as I'm actually trying to demote speaking. That's why most of the options I have sound a bit wankerish. I'm not really a wanker, but I'm prepared to look like one if it gets the job done.

Maybe even:

HERE TO

TRAIN

NOT TO

TALK

and can add or not add: (SO STFU & SQUAT) underneath

gotta save the knees - yes I've read everything about deep squats being better for the knees etc.. but my pains tell me different.

Will know April I guess.

Cannot believe im reading this, what have you done with the real TTT!!!

I agree though, i get medial right knee pain if i try to go to low. Parallel or a bit below is about my limit unfortunently...

Will know April I guess.

when I went to physio earlier this year, he said squatting helps the joints. You probably dont do leg extensions which are apparently the worst for your knee.

have you seen a pysio about the knees?

+1 to right medial knee pain

yep read all the research too but my knees only started hurting when I began squatting to proper depth... never bothered me at all before... I think it's due to having super tight hip flexors/quads so when you get a decent amount of knee flexion the quad is pulling on the knee joint... but that's just my own bro science at work

hurts when its cold but once warm is okay... I keep meaning to buy some knee sleeves to train in... the first couple of warm up sets are always fairly uncomfortable

playing basketball doesn't bother my knees at all

Or the next time someone tries to interrupt with coaching/groping you could just say I'm right thanks. The regulars will soon learn not to talk to you and there's only so many. Bonus of this is you won't look like you're full of yourself for the people who wouldn't have approached you anyway.

Yeah Birds, but then I won't be able to make shirts :3

I'm sure I can decline on help, but boys can be persistent even when I slip the boyfriend word in my first sentence. And I find it hard to refuse normal conversation :/

Will know April I guess.

Knees are confuddling. Mine started crackling as I ran a while back so I stopped running. Every time I would stand up from a squat the crackle was audible. So I stopped squatting too. Turns out it's just because I haven't exercised much in my life and my cartilage needed to break down. You wouldn't get it if you had exercised consistently. Weird how something that seems bad can be normal.

But it's certainly different from having actual pain. Get that shit checked!

Have you lot tried ATG with a super light weight, even body weight or barbell only to try and condition your joints for ATG?

I used to do parallel squats, got to ~120kg for a set of 10, then decided my form was starting to suck (not quite making parallel etc.). So I started from the star...said f**k the weight...barbell only and hammies touching calves this time. Felt incredible just having that huge ROM for a movement. Moved up to 40kg and I still remember how surprisingly worked I felt after 10 reps with such a pissy looking weight. It felt much harder than my old 80kg warm up with parallels. Now, within 2 months I've moved up to 75kg x 10 ATG...no knee pains...just wanna collapse to the floor at the end of a set. Legs are significantly bigger than they were with 120kg parallels and I cannot wait until I'm doing the old weight, only with much much better form.

ATG also involves the glutes more, so you get good development *Forrest Gump voice* in the buttocks. We deadlift from the ground, so too i think we should we squat from there (if we can). Any life situation where the squat is going to come in useful, like giving piggy back rides to overweight people...are you gonna make them jump on you from parallel? Come on...

yeah I've reset my squat numerous times... starting out light, getting deeper each time... my mobility is poor so getting to proper depth has been a long process

pausing at the bottom for a few seconds helps stretch everything out

pretty good now, just knees acting up a bit... probably just a bit of tendonitis... okay once warm

the wider your stance/the more you sit back the less flexion in your knee to get to depth... the more your knee travels forward over your toes the more knee flexion... I probably squat a bit narrow and don't sit back enough which is putting pressure on my knees... oh well, just a bit of discomfort... nothing opening a can of harden the fck up can't beat;)

+1 to right medial knee pain

yep read all the research too but my knees only started hurting when I began squatting to proper depth... never bothered me at all before... I think it's due to having super tight hip flexors/quads so when you get a decent amount of knee flexion the quad is pulling on the knee joint... but that's just my own bro science at work

hurts when its cold but once warm is okay... I keep meaning to buy some knee sleeves to train in... the first couple of warm up sets are always fairly uncomfortable

playing basketball doesn't bother my knees at all

Why don't you get your hip flexors relieved if you think it's an issue? It's only remedial massage. Makes me feel sick when getting them done, always improves range of motion though.

What sort of footwear do you use? Ive been reading a lot lately that squat shoes help depth when doing an oly style lift (narrow stance)

Edited by jangles

Will know April I guess.

Just use a wider stance. It will help air out your va.........

Have you lot tried ATG with a super light weight, even body weight or barbell only to try and condition your joints for ATG?

I used to do parallel squats, got to ~120kg for a set of 10, then decided my form was starting to suck (not quite making parallel etc.). So I started from the star...said f**k the weight...barbell only and hammies touching calves this time. Felt incredible just having that huge ROM for a movement. Moved up to 40kg and I still remember how surprisingly worked I felt after 10 reps with such a pissy looking weight. It felt much harder than my old 80kg warm up with parallels. Now, within 2 months I've moved up to 75kg x 10 ATG...no knee pains...just wanna collapse to the floor at the end of a set. Legs are significantly bigger than they were with 120kg parallels and I cannot wait until I'm doing the old weight, only with much much better form.

ATG also involves the glutes more, so you get good development *Forrest Gump voice* in the buttocks. We deadlift from the ground, so too i think we should we squat from there (if we can). Any life situation where the squat is going to come in useful, like giving piggy back rides to overweight people...are you gonna make them jump on you from parallel? Come on...

I thought ATG was the only way to do them :/

yes.. seen different physios, seen doc etc etc.

Physio ended up suggesting I squat as low as I need to.

I've stretched, I've rolled, I've massaged.

I've done the 10 minute squat test (find that one on mobilitywod.com and see how much you like it)

My right knee is just more f**ked than my left.

It doesn't bend as much as my left one.

So because of this, at the very bottom of a squat for me, it makes my hips pull out of center.

now add double body weight to the bar and that little issue is compounded many times.

it's not a muscle tightness thing.

it's all in the knee.

And I'd rather not have it operated on.

If my chosen sport says you have to squat to "this" depth, and I can do that, then I will.

Tom - I've gone a little wider.. the sand is falling out

Lol.. you should see how high my squats are when I start the warm ups.

Why don't you get your hip flexors relieved if you think it's an issue? It's only remedial massage. Makes me feel sick when getting them done, always improves range of motion though.

What sort of footwear do you use? Ive been reading a lot lately that squat shoes help depth when doing an oly style lift (narrow stance)

I foam roll them, it helps... but 10 years of sitting at a desk all day has taken a toll

bought some Do Wins olympic lifting shoes a few months ago... they're great, love them

TTT: 10 minute squat test... NEVER AGAIN lol