SAU Community

Help Me Defend The Skyline Pride

R33_Rob

from my viewpoint, neithers better than the other at the end of the day,

each has its good and bad points... a stock supra bottom end will (and ahs been proven to) put up with in excess of 800rwhp, without beign touched,

however a r32/33/34 GTR would eat a supra through twisteies...

end of the day all comes down to what it were to be used for,,,

ive driven both, (supra and a 32/33) and if it came to having to chose between one and the other i couldnt do it lol.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

...the tt supra deserves some serious respect and so does the rx7 they are both beautiful cars and thy both have their strong and weak points, what ive noticed about skyline owners is that they are very biased and there is nothing better than skylines...

Right on both points :ermm: ask Tony Wedlock...although its a not really a Supra

...In my opinion the tt supra will always be the better car in almost every department, as for some people saying that the gtr is a race breed car come on seriously i wouldnt call something that has so many issues such as (oil starvation and more) a race breed car, where as the supra is relly built tough to be abused more like a race car if yo tell me. I know of 2 certain 10sec gtrs in this forum that have been munched by stock engine supras running semi- slick street tyres, as for traction a pair of some slick tyres will fix that problem.

Supra with good rubber and stock engine = GTR having to fully rebuild box and engine just to keep up to the supra anywhere track or drag. eg, Amuse supra.

Thank you,

:D

Wrong on all points.

The GT-R was BUILT to race, end of story. Abused "like a race car" you got it right there...LIKE a race car, But in your defence, how about all the Supras that ran in the Dutton and the other tarmac and car park rallies; strange I cant remember any.

10 sec GT-R munched by a stock Supra..WTF. Have you any clue what it takes to run a 10sec pass ??? Sure you can wind up anything but it wont take long for a "stock" car to become modified car. What were the 60 footers? the incrementals? If you want to get it done there is only one import choice...and it's not a Supra.

Anyway I have to go back to work...*think I'll take the 10 sec land cruiser*

Right on both points :ermm: ask Tony Wedlock...although its a not really a Supra

Wrong on all points.

The GT-R was BUILT to race, end of story. Abused "like a race car" you got it right there...LIKE a race car, But in your defence, how about all the Supras that ran in the Dutton and the other tarmac and car park rallies; strange I cant remember any.

10 sec GT-R munched by a stock Supra..WTF. Have you any clue what it takes to run a 10sec pass ??? Sure you can wind up anything but it wont take long for a "stock" car to become modified car. What were the 60 footers? the incrementals? If you want to get it done there is only one import choice...and it's not a Supra.

Anyway I have to go back to work...*think I'll take the 10 sec land cruiser*

read the post properly b4 you start attacking someone, i clearly said STOCK ENGINE, with single turbo, where as the gtr where built off their nuts.

4wd cars are inherently more difficult to get power down past a specific point because as you transfer more power to the rear wheels the front becomes unweighted ... which causes wheel spin on the front end. So in reality a rwd car will run lower times more easily as the wick is wound up (1000bhp +).

Having said that though aren't there GTR's running fairly stock motors with big singles running in the 10's? If 2rismo can get into the 11's with a GTS-t running stock turbo and motor I'm sure that a GTR could get down to a 10 on a stock motor.

What the GTR does much better than a Supra is being an all rounder. Properly modified you can have a 10sec car that is still a great daily and a more than capable track weapon.

One other point that people need to remember is that the RB26 is designed to produce oodles of responsive power not just outright power. I'm sure if Nissan wanted to they could have just popped an RB30DET into the GTR but they chose the 2.6l capacity for a reason. Twin turbos were chosen for a reason. 6 throttle bodies again for reason.

Yes RB's do have there -'s like oiling problems at high rpm (starvation & pump) and their weight but Supra's have issues also. Supra's have a crap throttle body setup and a stupid stock turbo setup and are also heavy. Both engines are great for different reasons.

From reading the posts in this thread defending the supra the only thing they seem to have going for them is their over engineered bottom end whereas the GTR has multiple good points to offset the bad points.

My 2 Cents

*climbs into his flameproof suit* :P

theres a squillion supras with shitloads of bucks thrown at them but The precious little darlings only use them to drive around with their cocks out the window saying look at me. :)

Well said...! There is definately NO Shortage of highly modified Supras getting around.With Guys typically spending as much or more than Skyline equivalent..Getting rid of the factory twins and going big single + ECU and injectors etc....Very common mods these days...not too mention coilovers etc..These aint cheap

stock gtr can do 10's.. and so can the gearbox and diffs and everything else it has minus the turbos ofcourse.. bolt on mods

otherwise a 10 isnt all that hard to do in a gtr

and like everyone else is saying.. supra ever won a race?? le mans? bathurst??? atleast the rx7 has.

supras are great drag cars. i said b4, they've got phenomenal speed and power, the engine is incredible and so is the gearbox! but its not a race car.. it only goes straight really really well.. it doesnt win races because its not suited for proper circuit work, and u supra lovers can all say oh yer but if u throw money @ them blah blah blah.. ppl have and never succeeded. why?? because its a super fast street car.. not a race car.

sayin that thou.. the supra is better than a Gts-t and the GT-T :)

Edited by Bumblebee

I have to say something here. Took a couple of hours yesterday to read the thread for start to finish :D

Yes the GTR is a racebred car. Yes the Supra is not a racebred car. The GTR is compared to Porsches. The first time I saw a Supra in a magazine was in Wheels and they were comparing a DB7 to a Supra. The Supra is a GT car. Grand Tourer. How good a GT car it is, is a different matter. I like it. If you're too big to be comfortable in one, buy a Falcon or Commodore.

People talking about getting Supra owners to go out to win Dutton Rallies and other comps, my question to you is how many rallies and comps have you won? Don't ride on the coat-tails of your contemporaries. Lets see you win a Targa. I guess you think all Skyline owners are professional racers because a few actual racers did win comps. It takes a lot of money to win any comp.

The only pro-racer to make a comment here makes some valid points, including the racing homologation of the Skyline. When he was racing the Supra, he was not allowed to change vital components of the setup due to the rules. Almost all Supra TT owners make those changes as soon as the car is in our hands.

Currently Australian tuners are roughly about 5 to 6 years behind the Americans in what we can achieve with the Supra, especially with the motor. Even the Japanese don't get as much out of a 2JZ as the yanks. The Americans have been at it for so long and the economies of scale dictate that they will always be ahead. It is a shame that the Skyline was not sold in the US as I'm sure the performance of the RB would be further advanced. But PHR now stock GTR bits so you never know.

To people that want to see more Supra's at the local track, I completely agree with you. The ACT Supra Club is trying to promote track days and friendly comps with [shock-horror] the boys and gals from the ACT chapter of SAU.

There are lots of youtube vids of Supra's at race tracks. You just have to look. Here's one example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdioZbLyHIo...feature=related

We definitely need more Australian content but we're working on that. There is just so much more of Supra's on highways and drag strips cause of Americas love for those races.

To the poster asking about Supra performance at Wakefield, from memory the DAMN Supra completed Wakefield in 1:09 for the Autosalon Street car of the year comp a couple of years ago. It was the drivers first time at the track. And yes a Skyline took out that comp.

To the people talking about big body kits and other mods on Supra's, I agree with you. I think Lambo doors belong on Lambos. There are only a select few kits that look nice on a Supra like the TRD and Ridox kits but that's about it as far as I'm concerned. Don't throw too many stones though, there are some bad things being done to the Skylines too.

There's nothing wrong with hanging a bit of shit on owners of other makes of cars. It's like supporting the footy team of your choice. You give the other guy some shit. I talk trash to SZ owners, Skyline owners, V8 owners, the whole lot. But it's usually in the presence of those people. We all have a laugh. It gets bad when it comes to forums though, cause people get carried away. That's all that I will say on that.

I don't think I need to say anything about the original posters question, you know where I think the RZ and GTS stand. There are people on SF.com talking about their stock SZ beating a stock GTS but I can't confirm that to be more than forum spew. It sounds like bullshit.

Niko

Well said Niko,

People have to understand that supra's arent for track use. They are all for crusing and the 1/4mile thru and thru. As a cruiser a supra is a heap better car then the skyline, has much more going for it in that department, doesnt matter what model you're talking about (my opinion).

Looks? well that is opinion too, i personally prefer the supra, its original, slick, fat and everything else. Also from where i live, there arent that many supra's, but there are a million skylines around.

The motors and gear boxes i cant comment about because i dont know. From what i have heard they are super strong, but then i havent had a problem with my skyline yet and i drive that like i stole it.

Check youtube out, there is a supa in america that is "street legal" and is doing 6second passes. how legal it is i dont know, i dont live in America and i wouldnt b suprised if there wasnt much of an actual supra left. Also pleanty of videos of supras racing ferrari's and what not. But i havent seen much crash hot videos of skylines.

At the end of the day both cars are great for what they are and for what they are designed for. No arguements there.

Also to the dude who said that there r alot of supra's out there with crazy mods that r just an extension to their penis. Well the same can be said about skylines.... i find it more so about skyline owners. The worst lot for them are wrx drivers. There is always at least on in every crowd.

Which car is better? well you can go off stats if you want or you can just go off personal prefrence. Maybe that is the least dicky way to do it. If you like a skyline thats cool, but just because u like it doesnt mean its a better car then a supra or rexy.\

My 2c.

^^ This thread is becoming like crack.

Everyone knows its bad but once you've had a try you just can't leave it alone. :no:

In a comparison between Skylines and Supras the scale would go like this:

1. Any GTR

2. Supra

3. Gtt and Gts-t

Also the 33 GTR is a great daily and cruiser much more so than a Supra. Nice and roomy with a reasonable size back seat and boot.

There are lots of Skylines for the same reason that there are lots of WRX's ... they're excellent, affordable performance cars.

And as for the fella who said that the Supra is a Grand Tourer and the Skyline is not just what do you think the GT stands for in GTR? (Gran Turismo/ Grand Touring)

;)